What's new

Back to the Mach 3 for good!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Now thats my kind of humor! If I didn't get to drive through the deserts of Afghanistan wielding a 240B Machine Gun I probably would give up and "prance around waving my Mach 3" hahaha.
Have you considered prancing around with your 240B? :001_smile

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I just started with my DE, but I love my Mach 3. I tried the Fusion blades, but they clog up too fast. I tell you one thing after I found out about pre shave oil, and a brush. I won't ever go back to buying cans of creams. The pre shave oil has helped me out tremendously.
For me, it was the sensors that worked- the clogging started with the Mach3.

I got the Fusion as the Sensor is not available in stores here in NZ, well not that I have found so far. If I find one I'll give it a try as well.

I still love my Fatboy ;]

First shave 1/0?

Handle is big but doesn't get in the way
Power function seems odd as you can't feel anything
Head is not that big
Trimmer blade on the back of the head is a great idea
Shaves well it's quieter annd smoother than a Mach 3

+ ... it's nice does a good job
- ... not vastly different from a Mach 3

Shave 03 of ???
Fusion / Arko / Alum
Easy shave very smooth to use less bothered with the size of the thing and I love the blade on the back of the head for trimming. BBS Not sure if it's better than a Mach 3 but it's a good razor if you do the prep and use nice soap.
Nice one Gillette

Shave 05 of ??
Nice and smooth on the face but not cutting so well on the neck was still DFS but could not get BBS, so I got out the Tech/Polsilver combo and finished off.

Because of the cost of carts for this thing I will not continue to use it once the blade lost it's ability to do a good job. Back to the DE.

Last edited:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

I just found out that the battery in my Fusion is dead! So I put in a new one and it vibrates so badly I can hardly hold on to it! What kind of evil device is this? Do people really shave with the power turned on?

Never tried the Schick Hydro 5 is it good, better or the best ever?

I hear the Schick 3 is better than the Mach 3 so I might try that one day :scared:

OK, I'm inspired to take the old Fusion out for a test drive with the skills and prep I've picked up with the DE shaving. I already know I'll never actually go back to carts, but since I have them hanging around and already paid for, no reason to not see how they do once paired with good prep and good product. :)

In the interests of science and all that I tried the Fusion with the power ON .... much easier with a battery that works!

Shave 06 of ?? Fusion Power ON / Proglide Cartridge [6] / Arko / Alum

The power thing does make a difference a big difference and for the better, sure it feels weird and the sound isn't very calming and as I have taken the battery out of the tv remote i can't shave and watch tv at the same time BUT it gave me a BBS with little of no effort.

It's all in the technique my friends ;]

AT THE RISK OF BEING TIED TO A POST AND SET ON FIRE ISN'T IT TIME WE HAD A SUB FORUM FOR CARTRIDGE RAZORS?

Last edited:
AT THE RISK OF BEING TIED TO A POST AND SET ON FIRE ISN'T IT TIME WE HAD A SUB FORUM FOR CARTRIDGE RAZORS?
Good idea. It's not like we really want your kind here...:spockflam

Just kidding about that. Everybody is welcome. Maybe a subforum under safety razors would be an appropriate spot.

The way I see it, this forum starts with shaving as a base, but there is so much more to it, all should be welcome, even if you can achieve BBS with a norelco, whatever works for you!

I will definitely stick with my creams, brushes, and soaps! I really wanted to try straights too, but I'm not too fond of having to strop/maintain one. I have thought of this injector thing before though, and I'm already eyeballing some Atras on Amazon like a few of you have mentioned. Thanks for the positive words during my time of darkness haha. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with the carts, but only time will tell. I think the Injector is my last option because I've tried a LOT of razor/blade combos, even SE.

I don't know about the creams. I've only used Mach 3 occasionally, but I find that I don't get as good a shave using 3, 4 and 5 blade cartridges using the more expensive, most slippery creams - like Trumpers and Art of Shaving - compared to using soaps, the less slippery creams and even some canned stuff. This is especially the case when the cartridges put out a lot of lubrication. 3 and 5 blade Schick Hydro is the worst with them because of all the goo it puts out (it seems designed for best use with canned stuff), while Fusion Pro-glide isn't as bad.

Have you invested in a Razorpit to extend the life of your cartridges?
Regards,
Renato

I purshase a Gillette Fusion Proglide Power in the supermarket today, I just couldn't resist ... I have wondered if one of these could be better than a Mach 3 and now I'm going to find out. I didn't but any extra blades so if it doesn't work out I'll just bin it or PIF it ;]

First impression

It's big ... twice the size of a Mach 3 ... but smaller than a 240B
It vibrates very gently ... the Mach 3 just lies there ... unlike the 240B
The blade on the back is cool ... no bayonet on a 240B

Will shave with it tomorrow using soap and brush and the usual careful face prep

I prefer plain Fusion to Pro-Glide Fusion.
I have a friend who can't stand any of the Fusions, and reckons they're all inferior to Mach 3.

With Pro-glide, you may notice a difference using it with soap vs using it with a very slippery cream. I think it cuts closer with soap.
Regards,
Renato

I have 12 shaves with the same cartridge on the Fusion Pro Glide Power ... BBS all the way and no effort at all. In fact I'm a little embarasssed to admit how good it is. I plan to use the same cartridge until it's not giving the best shaves but so far it's an ok razor.
I'm using a slippery gel Made here in little NZ all natural and not tested on animals & my boar brush.
This is their site http://www.primalearth.co.nz/

I was getting 6-8 weeks out of a fusion manual cartridges when I used them. I traveled around South America for a year, took 8 with me came home with one, never once saw them in the stores over there.
Not sure why you would get a power fusion, seems like a gimmick to get you buying more expensive carts.
I will say the fusion is the best cartridge razor I've used. I always found other cartridges to get clogged real easy but the openness on the fusion head makes it real easy to keep clear.
Still have one in the draw for when I need a real quick shave.

I got the power as i figured if i was going to try one i might as well try the one with all the gimicks ... I love the blade on the back of the head and i think the power option makes a difference for the better.
Go figure ... of course YMMV

Top Bottom