What's new

Back to the Basics .....

Yes, gentlemen, as are most of you, I am a big fan of all the newest artisans who are making
wonderful soaps, brushes, and after shaves for us all to enjoy. But sometimes, simply getting
back to the basics and enjoying a traditional brand is a sublime delight. This evening's shave .....

D94AFB37-6832-437D-B2DB-7A0B48435728.jpeg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I essentially used nothing but Williams Mug Soap or Palmolive sticks for well over 30 years. When I first discovered online shave shopping around 2008 I bought my first Proraso green soap, and for the next 7 or 8 years it was my one and only 'fancy' soap. I still wouldn't be without it. That red stuff you've got is something special, innit?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Yes indeed. A soothing lightweight sandalwood, which lathers up beautifully with the Duke.
And like you, I also really enjoy the "green" ..... Proraso is still a very talented soap maker !
I've yet to try the Proraso Sandalwood aftershave, but I have the soap and I think its terrific. I have a fancy DR Harris Sandalwood aftershave, but believe it or not I like my $6 bottle of kanon Norwegian Wood much better!

I also love the latest and greatest artisans... B&M, DG, NO, A&E and the rest of the usual suspects.

I tend to reach for these the most but I still love my Williams, Proraso, Tabac, LaToja and yes... even Arco.

But I would be as excited trying a Palmolive Stick for the first time as I would the latest super hot artisan collaboration. Part of the fun.

Used Speick cream/aftershave today - first time in a few months.

Inexpensive. Great performer. Unique fresh herbal scent. whats not to like?

It’s nice to re-visit the “classics” occasionally to reaffirm just how great they really are...
I do not have any other soap/cream that Speick. I agree it is really great.

(In the past I made own shaving soaps and Speick is the only one coming close to what I got used to.)

I totally get it. Sometimes it feels good to go back to the basics, to simplicity.

Btw Proraso has always been a good performer. Nice choice

Proraso Red and Green are both good soaps, solid performers.
I have them both, I should use them more often. Lately I’ve been on a Cella binge!

Top Bottom