What's new

Back to My Merkur Progress

20221120_104204.jpg

it's arrived!!!
20221120_103647.jpg

I've been de shaving now for only 2 months. First used an all steel painted $10 handle my brother gave me. That got me super excited as I see how superior a de shave is. BTW I'm all bald. Second razor is a VanDer Hagen all chrome tto from Target, it shaved ok but too mild and the chrome plating was too thick kind of like when you paint too heavy. Third handle is a gillette tech 1940's new old stock, super nice shave. But today I just used my Murker progress for the first time with the free Merkur blade. It blew my mind. 1st pass on 3 as I had a 2 day stubble, second pass on 1. I lived it. A little tricky under the nose as mentioned. Also a little tricky on the top of my ear. No issue with tabs hitting me. I really look forward to using it every shave for a while.

I'm Jason and this is my first post. I've been lurking for a couple weeks and have learned and enjoyed this forum very much.
Welcome to the MAD MAD WORLD OF RAZORDOM!!!!! Next step, get some LILAC VEGETAL, AND SEE IF YOU ARE CHOSEN !!!:)

Put an Astra SP in the Progress and shaved with it today (set on 2, zeros on +). Was instantly reminded what a smooth efficient shaver the Progress is.
It's a great razor with GSB, Nacet or Astra SP blades.
Do the progress blade tabs do provide any danger in cutting during the shave ? I always get a cut from the blade tabs if I use a vintage Gillette razor.
Never had a problem with the Merkur Progress or Gillette Slim Adustable. Cannot figure how you would get cut from the tabs.

Great shave today with the Progress. Smoother shaver than the Variant, not by much but a little. Didn't have any trouble with slipping and like the shorter handle. I used the Merkur blade that came with it, and it was OK. Tomorrow I will use an Astra Sp. All in all, glad I bought it. For sure. I think I will off load the Varaint, and keep the Progress.

Never had a problem with the Merkur Progress or Gillette Slim Adustable. Cannot figure how you would get cut from the tabs.

I can't make a video of how it can happen and I have already sold the Slim. 😏. I get the cut occasionally if I use the razor under nose, using a West - East movement.

If I have to chose only one razor it would be progress.
When I had to bug out for a hurricane in Sept. 2021, it was the Progress I packed, along with my usual AP Shave Co. synthetic brush and a big tube of Proraso cream. The entire package worked great.

In my rotation, I'm due to shave with the Progress on T'giving Day.

SOTD: Merkur Progress (short), German Wilkinson, Omega 10066, NSC Sandalwood, Speick AS splash, Alverde balm.
I will call this a German shave, only the brush and the soap are from elsewhere in the EU. Didn't plan for it, it just happened. Great shave btw.

in a world where gillette totally forgot its roots and prefers to ride on the wave of our time, merkur is, at least as far as i know, the only producer of traditional de razors that is left from back then. i love how they stayed true to their products and philosophy while ignoring any trends and whatnot. the progress is the only razor which i do not possess, that is still on my list. i don't know if you guys knew, but merkur is not doing pretty well nowadays and almost went bankrupt a few years ago. only an investor from berlin saved them from shutting down the gates for good.

i don't know if you guys knew, but merkur is not doing pretty well nowadays and almost went bankrupt a few years ago. only an investor from berlin saved them from shutting down the gates for good.
As I understood it, the Merkur division was doing okay at the time but the main company Dovo were in dire straits; hence the need for a restructure and cash injection.
I was really pleased the Progress survived.

Top Bottom