What's new

Back to Basics

When I first started shaving, I used my dad’s safety razor (I’m sure it was some model of a Gillette TTO).
I made the fairly common progression from there to cartridges then to a Norelco, and here I am, back to a safety razor.
The one I picked up is apparently older than me (it’s from 1962, I hail from ‘64) but it is adjustable which is more than I can say for myself.
When I first bought it, I was using it the way I did back in the late 70s/early 80s - with canned foam “goo”.
For Christmas, my family upgraded my shave equipment. I now have a cheap boar brush and a sleeve of 100 Feather blades from Amazon, an unscented shave soap from Stirling, and a marble shave bowl by Beau Brummell (not sure how to spell it).

I’m stylin’ and profilin’.

Now, I just need to get me one of those neato nifty Blackland Blackbird razors and I’ll be in like Flint.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Welcome to the madness and so soon before a landmark birthday, too!

If you do treat yourself to a Blackland razor, please sign up for email and text messages from them and hang tight until next November. And, in the meantime, scan the Buy/Sell/Trade sections like a day trader powering through a third ulcer.

Looking forward to reading your discoveries in this journal as they’re listed.

As much as i like the looks of a stainless steel Blackbird, the discontinued brass version has me drooling.

I dare say that something that pricey is beyond my reach, at least for now.

FE491168-276E-47CF-860E-55043FFE4256.jpeg
20C68D64-8292-4372-B71A-3B8EAB5F16F7.jpeg
2318E022-E7A7-4DA4-A7C5-2A8725EAD3BD.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I’ve been AWOL due to cataract surgery and because my wife and two daughters went together and got me a Blackbird. I don’t feel the need for another razor now. This thing is fantastic.

I’m going on 60 and just now getting the best shaves of my life.
Please describe your vision now post op. My mother said she had forgotten how colorful and crisp things look.

I pray it went well my friend.

Please describe your vision now post op. My mother said she had forgotten how colorful and crisp things look.

I pray it went well my friend.

I was very worried about the surgery going into it. I was told they “twilight” you so you don’t feel it or remember it.

I felt it when they started cutting my eye and remember every bit of it. They gave me extra drugs for the second eye (did one on first day, the other eye the next day).

My depth perception is different now and I have to get used to that, but I now have 20/20 in one eye and 20/40 in the other with another few weeks to go before I’m completely healed. I will need glasses for distance for the one eye and readers for both, but vision for middle/distance for both eyes combined is 20/20.

Colors are brighter, the sunshine seems to be a 12 on a scale of 1-10. I’m getting a pair of good sunglasses because I’m told that they’re imperative for the first year after surgery.

Even though I felt it and remember every detail of surgery, I absolutely would do it again.

Top Bottom