What's new

Back to Basics

I have been getting alot of irritation lately. I have tried to find the cause and suspected everything from my brush to the facewash I use without ever considering that my form sucked.

Today I decided to start fresh. I focused on Prep and Procedure. I did not use any exotic products. I just used Proraso Cream, Proraso Pre-Shave and Skin Bracer aftershave (Green not Blue). For the razor I used a 1954 Superspeed.

During the shave I focused on the angle, not how the shave felt to the touch. I also changed my grip, I held the razor lightly down at the end of the handle, Thanks for the tip Kyle. The new grip makes it almost impossib;e to use too much pressure, something else I have probably been doing. I also only did one pass. I figure this would help my face "heal" from the irritation.

The results were very good. my cheeks and neck are very smooth, not BBS but passable. My jaw line is the only area where the shave does not feel smooth to the touch. This is also the area where most of my irritation is occurring, along with the chin.

I think the point I am trying to make is that in my quest for the perfect shave I became more concerned about the next terrific product or razor I would try and lost track of the basic principles of the shave. Will this discovery tone down any of my acquisition disorders? I doubt it, but hopefully I won't forget the basic fundamentals again anytime soon.

I think there is some saying about forests and trees that might be fitting... glad that you can see the proverbial forest once again.

Jim:

I think there's a lesson for all of us in you experience.

I often get carried away and want to try new soaps, creams, brushes, blades, razors, etc. When I change too many variables and have a bad shave, I often have no idea what the reason is.

Your idea of going back to basics is a good one, as is the focus on technique versus product.

In addition, I've become more scientific in my experimentation and generally only play with one variable at a time (my two cents - FWIW).

Jim Thompson said:
During the shave I focused on the angle, not how the shave felt to the touch. I also changed my grip, I held the razor lightly down at the end of the handle, Thanks for the tip Kyle. The new grip makes it almost impossib;e to use too much pressure, something else I have probably been doing.

I also tried this new grip, based on Kyle's recommendation. I found it to help with the "no pressure" aspect; moreover, it helped me keep a proper angle.

Jim
I am glad that you have sorted out some of the issues with your shave, I still think you need to send me your bush for testing_:lol:

This is the point that I was taken with-

I think the point I am trying to make is that in my quest for the perfect shave I became more concerned about the next terrific product or razor I would try and lost track of the basic principles of the shave

In the last week there must have been 5 posts with newbies saying how it must be the razor- now if a guy wants a razor recommendation so be it- however how can someone shaving for 4 days know its the razor- the role or responsibility we play on this board as stewards of the skills we have collectively mastered,the wish to pass them on and be mentors,IMHO we need to say stop and say GO BACK TO BASICS or for that matter start with the basics. Thanks Jim.

This is interesting because it reminded me of my own impatience in trying to learn immediately some new tool or technique, thinking I should have it down pat the first time I tried. Being a blogger, I even blogged about it. Consider: when you get a new kitchen knife it takes time---using the knife over several days---to get the feel of the knife and know (in your muscles) what that particular knife requires. So also with the immensely more complicated things associated with wet shaving.

Jim--

We're designed with the ability to master wonderful skills, also a tendency to grow sloppy about using them. I should set my calendar to pop up a link to your post, once a month until the end of the year!

--Glenn

Good post. I agree with your sentiments. I have to re-remind myself of this stuff every so often as well.

Good thoughts, Jim. It is certainly easy to allow the lure of a new product to distract you. Much like you have mentioned with the Proraso and Superspeed, I have a list of "safe" products and tools that I return to anytime things start getting a little bit ugly. These are the tried and true items that I KNOW agree with me and allow me to really focus on returning to technique.

Excellent post!

Those of us in the collective normally try to solve any shaving problems by throwing money at it (insert govt joke here) first, when in actuality, a return to 'the basics' would do the most good. Kyle also had a post on this thought that was just as good.

keep the info like this coming- the more we hear it, the more it soaks in and helps us to remember.

Marty

Top Bottom