What's new

Back side of strop vs. linen/canvas?

I have a new TM Barber's Friend strop. I don't have a linen or canvas.
I read of someone using the back side of the leather. Is this recommended, and can it play the part of the cloth side? I'm a bit worried about hurting the edge. The back side is quite smooth, but still a bit nappy compared to the grain side.
Thanks for your thoughts.

i think some of tony's strops are good for that and some may not be so good.
you should be able to make the surface good enough by sanding it, pumice stone works really well.
some strops have suede finish by design, that by itself is not an issue.
of course the best is to just ask tony as he knows all his leathers and what would work and what may not work. you can most certainly follow his recommendations directly - they're always on the safe side if anything.
it's likely that he'll discover this thread and respond anyways.

i think some of tony's strops are good for that and some may not be so good.
you should be able to make the surface good enough by sanding it, pumice stone works really well.
some strops have suede finish by design, that by itself is not an issue.
of course the best is to just ask tony as he knows all his leathers and what would work and what may not work. you can most certainly follow his recommendations directly - they're always on the safe side if anything.
it's likely that he'll discover this thread and respond anyways.
Thanks, Gugi

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
O'Gan,
The back side can be used on many of my strops. I grade the leather for the front surface (except for that rouge example I sent you :thumbdown) so the backs can vary widely. If it looks good to you by all means use it, no harm will be done. It will actually be similar, if not a bit smoother than an Illinois #827 which is actually the back side of the leather too.

I'm guessing strop #2 was a bit better ?

Thanks,
Tony

Tony, thanks for the reply. Sorry, I thought I had sent you a note already. The strop is fantastic, and I appreciate all your help.
All the best,
Damon

Top Bottom