What's new

Back on the Keto

So, I've stopped lifting weights but kept eating... Lol. Needless to say, clothes are getting tight and that was AFTER I sized up my wardrobe already. I feel disgusting, frankly, nothing worse than starting to bust out of clothes. I'm returning to my tried and true, keto with some intermittent fasting worked in. Through the years, it's been by far the fastest, most effective method for fat loss for me. It's so easy and eventually ends up killing my hunger cravings, all together, provided I don't 'cheat' too often.

I created this thread to keep the motivation going. Sometimes it's hard to resist a few carbs (and I'm not saying to avoid carbs, just on this particular eating regimen), so there needs to be some mental strength in there, as well. Another reason is for the mood and energy stability, anti depressive effect and somehow an improvement in my ADHD.

Anyone else still on keto? I'm also watching tons of food videos and instead of just getting hungry, I'm taking inspiration from them and turning previous favorites and making keto friendly versions. I'm a burger fanatic, so today I made a version of a mushroom bacon swiss burger by essentially keeping it the same, except putting everything on a low carb (xtreme wellness) tortilla. Damn good stuff! Per my recipe, the macro breakdown is about 25g pro, 10 net carbs and 24 fat; about 360 calories. Note this is currently 'dirty' keto

So, who is with me?

Last edited:
Not the greatest plating, but keto butter chicken on asparagus and mushroom cauliflower rice

20220418_193713.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I stick to lean protein and green (including cauliflower). Losing weight, lab work results are outstanding and I'm feeling great! :)
That was my problem when I tried the Keto diet... My wife and I both have been doing a low carb diet devoid of any of the starchy carbs. So many of the Keto recipes have a variety of squash and other very starchy vegetables in them. My body just converts those to extra weight over night.

So... good quality meats (including fish, of course) and green salad stuff with other assorted roasted vegetables, depending on the meal, work very well for us. We used to eat like this years ago... got off course for the past 6 years and my weight kept creeping up every year. So a the middle of January, I said: Time to stop looking toad-like... time to get back to eating health. I'm down 25 pounds as of this morning.... I still want to lose one more pound before the end of the month, so I'll get down to 220. And that would make 10 pounds for April... I only lost 3 pounds in March.

I don't have a firm goal set for myself for final weight since I'm going to be 69 next month and what was perfect 6 years ago might be a few pounds too heavy now. I'm 6'1.5" now... I used to be 6'3", but I'm shrinking. ;) I'm guessing I'll end up around 170, but who knows? We both just started rowing (Concept2 RowErg)... and my hamstring is just about healed up enough so I can get back on my bicycle. If I build up more muscle mass than I think I will... could be a few pounds more.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
That was my problem when I tried the Keto diet... My wife and I both have been doing a low carb diet devoid of any of the starchy carbs. So many of the Keto recipes have a variety of squash and other very starchy vegetables in them. My body just converts those to extra weight over night.

So... good quality meats (including fish, of course) and green salad stuff with other assorted roasted vegetables, depending on the meal, work very well for us.

"Keto recipes" are often ... um ... "interesting". There seems to be a fixation among many of the "keto recipe creators" to make a keto-friendly-ish version of "normal foods", but they seem to be going to great lengths to re-create bread, potatoes, and pasta in a "low carb" incarnation ... with limited success.

IMHO better to focus instead on simply eating the simple foods that are perfect for keto all by themselves. A grass-fed-and-finished steak or roast, a few spears of bacon-wrapped roast asparagus, a bit of roast cauliflower with melted cheese ... now, them's good eats!

I said: Time to stop looking toad-like...

1650478950788.png

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
"Keto recipes" are often ... um ... "interesting". There seems to be a fixation among many of the "keto recipe creators" to make a keto-friendly-ish version of "normal foods", but they seem to be going to great lengths to re-create bread, potatoes, and pasta in a "low carb" incarnation ... with limited success.

IMHO better to focus instead on simply eating the simple foods that are perfect for keto all by themselves. A grass-fed-and-finished steak or roast, a few spears of bacon-wrapped roast asparagus, a bit of roast cauliflower with melted cheese ... now, them's good eats!

View attachment 1443040
Slightly more round around the middle, unfortunately... if the buttons on his coat were about to pop..... then you'd be on to something. ;) But I still loved it... very nice. ;) And my head is up... ready to shave my neck and bottom of my chin. You could post it on the "to stretch or not to stretch" thread.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I am mostly keto these days. I do get some carbs from fruit, though. And I do allow myself the occasional (every couple of weeks) scoops of ice cream. Since my stomach removal (cancer), it is sometimes hard for me to get the calories in. Eating is sometimes almost an afterthought. I am down from 280 to 205 pounds. Since the wife is having mobility and flexibility issues, I am about to start yoga with her.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I am down from 280 to 205 pounds.

Dude! You basically just moved the zero over from the "ones" column to the "tens" column!! Well done.

If you are having trouble getting enough calories ... bulletproof coffee!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Dude! You basically just moved the zero over from the "ones" column to the "tens" column!! Well done.

If you are having trouble getting enough calories ... bulletproof coffee!
I need to give that a try.

For me what worked best was pretty much <20 grams carbs/day for six (6) months which took me (6',0") from 206 to 181. That is close to where I want to be. High 170's is attainable. Intermittent fasting is fairly easy to do if you eat two (2) meals/day.

But I can now have some added carbs occasionally with no weight gain effects. I tend tend to not prefer low carb (fake) versions of high carb food. Sola bread products are an exception. Best I've found so far for bread products. Cauliflower pizza crust doesn't do it for me. If I want pizza I'll make a 48 hour fermented dough and have no ill effects. If I want cauliflower I prefer mine raw. I eat blueberries & raspberries which are not low carb but seem to have no weight gain effect on me.

Just like shaving...YMMV. Cheers! :thumbup:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
what worked best was pretty much <20 grams carbs/day for six (6) months ... But I can now have some added carbs occasionally with no weight gain effects.

Kind of my experience too.

It seems like one needs a period of "strict keto" at first so that the body makes the shift to keto being the "default energy method" (which is the next level after just "being in ketosis" for a while).

Top Bottom