What's new

Back on the Keto

Kind of my experience too.

It seems like one needs a period of "strict keto" at first so that the body makes the shift to keto being the "default energy method" (which is the next level after just "being in ketosis" for a while).

Once fat adapted, which can take anywhere from a couple weeks to several months depending on the person, it will often mean that they can eat more carbs daily and get back into ketosis easier and faster. Once I'm really in a keto diet, I can eat as many as 100g a day without getting kicked out. I can even have a cheat meal and either not get kicked out or I'm back in within less than 24 hours, sometimes faster. Apparently that's unusual, though, and I chalk that up to Germanic/Northern European/Scandinavian genetics; thriving on a higher fat and high protein diet.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Kind of my experience too.

It seems like one needs a period of "strict keto" at first so that the body makes the shift to keto being the "default energy method" (which is the next level after just "being in ketosis" for a while).
There is one thing among many that is still bugging me. I lost 9 pounds in April by the 15th. I haven't cheated at all... still eating the same types of meals, etc.... I had gotten to that 9 pound loss maybe by the 11th, just guessing... stayed there... until a few days ago... now my weight is going up and down as much as 3 pounds over 4 days....And right now... I'm at a 7 pound loss for the month. I thought once I was stable for over a week at one weight... didn't deviate from the meal plans, I wouldn't gain weight. It's puzzling to me.. I know about the body's set points, etc....

Anyway, it's been a bit frustrating.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
now my weight is going up and down as much as 3 pounds over 4 days.

I try to weigh myself every day ... and always first thing in the morning before breakfast. I notice a lot of fluctuation due to hydration levels and ... um ... where I am in terms of the intestinal cycle.

Your intestines can carry a lot of weight on any given day, even though that's not "you", just a guest ... it still shows up on the weight scale on your behalf. And then, the amount of glycogen in your system can affect the weight too (as glycogen takes a lot of water to store in the body, apparently.)

So ... weigh yourself every day. Don't worry about the daily fluctuations, though, but instead focus on the long-term trends. (Which is why you weigh yourself every day, because if you only weigh yourself once a week, you don't know if that day is at the high or low point in the fluctuation.)

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@OldSchoolYoungin , I was doing fairly low carb until this week (Easter and babby‘s birthday) and will be back soon. With reduced overall calories and greatly reduced calories from carbs, I also function better.

There seems to be a fixation among many of the "keto recipe creators" to make a keto-friendly-ish version of "normal foods", but they seem to be going to great lengths to re-create bread, potatoes, and pasta in a "low carb" incarnation ... with limited success.

Yas! As a general rule, the imitation verboten foods both taste worse and take their revenge on one’s digestive tract whether the fat or sugars are replaced.

but no one would accuse me of being too thin even now.

Perish the thought! I can accuse you of that as soon as you wish. My slurred, agitated voice can utter the phrase “K-man needs his mershed perderders before he wastes away!”

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I try to weigh myself every day ... and always first thing in the morning before breakfast. I notice a lot of fluctuation due to hydration levels and ... um ... where I am in terms of the intestinal cycle.

Your intestines can carry a lot of weight on any given day, even though that's not "you", just a guest ... it still shows up on the weight scale on your behalf. And then, the amount of glycogen in your system can affect the weight too (as glycogen takes a lot of water to store in the body, apparently.)

So ... weigh yourself every day. Don't worry about the daily fluctuations, though, but instead focus on the long-term trends. (Which is why you weigh yourself every day, because if you only weigh yourself once a week, you don't know if that day is at the high or low point in the fluctuation.)
Yeah. I weigh myself every morning as well. I don’t like seeing a two pound weight gain. But I’m in it for the long haul. I think I’ve set realistic goals: 5 pounds a month until I get down to whatever my weight needs to be.

That isn’t too aggressive, is it?

I go by how I look in he mirror, not by the scale, but I do maybe weigh myself once a week. With keto, especially during the first couple weeks, there's dramatic water loss depending on how many carbs they were eating. But don't be too anal, fluid fluctuations are normal and can really throw off your scale numbers

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It doesn't help that I can move my analog scale around a few inches at a time and it can change 3 pounds or so. lol I'm sure the cheap wood flooring wasn't glued down all that well.

Carnivore for 2+ yrs

all personal journey like shaving gear :)
Cant see every changing now feel to good and no desire at all to eat anything else anyway :) ribeye every day is like birthday ever day for me :)

I do think keto or paleo is a great way for those that love veggies though :) also do agree simple WHOLE REAL food not any “KETO” in a package and avoid all the snack bomb recipes etc

I kinda think walking through coscto keto has become marketing many of them are not good ingredients and has become like the “fat free” just loaded with sugar like the 70s and 80s fad
instead of grain flour its almond instead of cane sugar its stevia or …

to me should be a change of eating junk to eating properly :)
rant over :) hahahahahahah

Yeah. I weigh myself every morning as well. I don’t like seeing a two pound weight gain. But I’m in it for the long haul. I think I’ve set realistic goals: 5 pounds a month until I get down to whatever my weight needs to be.

That isn’t too aggressive, is it?
Yeah that sounds good and if you miss do not worry IMHO :)

I was in super shape till my mid 40s then had to move to mainland and in my late 40s I ballooned to over 275+ lbs
tried quite a few things until tried keto but found I just liked meat anyway so went carnivore
I am now at the same weight I was in my 20s and 30s as a scuba instructor in the islands and I honestly have better abs now !
I am 58 yr old 5’11” 175-180 lbs so lost 100 lbs about 8 months to lose most of it the last ten+ lbs or so if I remember went slow but about a year total kinda forgot details

IMHO the benefit is also I feel like I am in my 20s again same energy no more joint pain I just get up no brain fog no morning fog no more warming up the joints I just hop up and am up no napping on couch or after eating anymore truly life changing the mental and the physical change of aging that I could feel this young and look the same physically I never thought possible
google Dr Chaffee or Dr Ken Berry good info
again Keto or Carnivore or paleo we just need to find what works for each of us :)

so yeah you can do it :) just never get bummed if things do not move I had 2 months at the start nothing was really happening then it just went fast ! Some weeks were more some were less it varied though

Carnivore for 2+ yrs

all personal journey like shaving gear :)
Cant see every changing now feel to good and no desire at all to eat anything else anyway :) ribeye every day is like birthday ever day for me :)

I do think keto or paleo is a great way for those that love veggies though :) also do agree simple WHOLE REAL food not any “KETO” in a package and avoid all the snack bomb recipes etc

I kinda think walking through coscto keto has become marketing many of them are not good ingredients and has become like the “fat free” just loaded with sugar like the 70s and 80s fad
instead of grain flour its almond instead of cane sugar its stevia or …

to me should be a change of eating junk to eating properly :)
rant over :) hahahahahahah

Carnivore is a very interesting diet and it's also the most effective I've come across for ultra fast fat and water loss. I believe in it, but I love my bell peppers, low carb fruits and vegetables. The 'steak and eggs' diet has been around as a precontest tactic in bodybuilding circles for decades. Mine and others' blood work looks great on it, too.

I've been geeking out on Indian inspired food (again) and it's very versatile with lots of variations easy to modify for keto. Just be careful eating out because they put a lot of sugar into things, at times. I find most don't even need the sugar considering the onions and tomatoes, but I've also been guilty of adding a packet or two of Splenda to a dish

I generally do low-carb and have done intermittent fasting since the start of COVID. It has done a decent job of
keeping me under 80k (175 lbs). If I quit beer I can easily get under 75k (165 lbs.) and have been as low as 73k but
I enjoy a couple beers at the end of the day. Keeping stress under control (I meditate) and getting enough sleep
(7-8 hours) is also important. I will indulge in occasional treats/cheats, but mostly it is about balance. If I eat carbs
they are complex carbs and I focus on more vegetables on the plate instead of more meat. 10,000 steps/day (arbitrary
number I know) is a minimum. I also try to swim once a week for about twenty minutes. BTW My blood work is great.
My two cents.

@Ckmaui Is that you on Reddit? Just saw someone on the keto subreddits with a similar name and same avatar

I'm TrashMammal84 if you ever see me post.
yes :) I started recently deciding to engage more figure with 2+ yrs of carnivore under my belt and loosing 100 lbs is something some want to do and know its in reach if they commit even at 58yr old :) will have to remember that name then :) while I am carnivore I think they share the same thing low or no carb health etc..
carnivore is just taking it a touch further :)

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’ve been Keto for four years or so and the health benefits have been great. I have added some fruit/berries to my diet as well as honey. Even after consuming lots of honey between check-ups, my triglycerides went down a point.

I go hardcore Keto for 2 weeks when in need of a quick fix then relaxed Keto for a few weeks after until the carbs find me again.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Dude! You basically just moved the zero over from the "ones" column to the "tens" column!! Well done.

If you are having trouble getting enough calories ... bulletproof coffee!
Now holding steady at 195- haven't been under 200 for over 20 years. Had to buy a bunch of new clothes. I didn't realize that it is harder to find large shirt than XL or XXL- our country has a weight issue, for sure.

Maybe I am wrong but Diets do work, until you stop, and return to old ways of eating.

Want to drop weight, and keep it off. Life style change works.

Top Bottom