What's new

Back in August I Kicked a Twig down the road...

OK, I ordered a Twig razor on Kickstarter. It just arrived, and I threw in a Derby Premium to try it out.
I liked it pretty well. My usual 3-pass + buffing routine gave me a BBS- . Not as idiot proof as my OneBlade Hybrid, but close.

What I liked:
Easy to load
Very maneuverable
Heavy enough to not feel like a toy.

What I didn't like:
The knob turns CW to open instead of CCW - I expect I'll get used to it.
The taper of the handle feels strange - I expect I'll get used to it.
The smooth part of the handle falls right under my fingers.
Since I'm a shower shaver, my fingers tend to get soapy. not a good combination.
The preset 30 degree angle of the head.
I'm right handed, and it's a little awkward to shave the left side of my neck with my right hand. I'll have to switch hands.

I also had ordered the small stand from them. It was nice enough, with a nice finish, and a rubber o-ring set into a groove on the bottom so it doesn't slide all over. OTOH, the Twig is so stable on its own that a stand is unnecessary.

I’d like one in their gunmetal finish or what they call Mercury. Have to wait until they allow orders on their website.

I wish they kept the original design where it just screwed straight up to insert the blade, but made it in metal instead of that cheap clear plastic they did originally.

You know the rules, pics or it didn't happen 🤪

OK. Just for you.

20201216_165759.jpg
20201216_165822.jpg

Shaved again today with the same razor & blade. Today's shave was a little better than yesterday. The Twig seem to give me better results than I'm used to in that area just below the back corner of the jaw. Also, it's very bottom-heavy so it's a snap to keep a light touch while shaving.

I'm still looking forward to mine in Mercury. They have just posted on Kickstarter that this finish is likely to be arriving at their end shortly.

OK. Just for you.

View attachment 1196077View attachment 1196078

Shaved again today with the same razor & blade. Today's shave was a little better than yesterday. The Twig seem to give me better results than I'm used to in that area just below the back corner of the jaw. Also, it's very bottom-heavy so it's a snap to keep a light touch while shaving.

It's an unusual looking thing but is quiet beautiful in its lines and engineering from what I can see. I'll keep an eye on this for the UK. Thanks for the pics

After 4 days with the Derby Premium in the Twig, I binned that blade and loaded a Leaf blade. I got a week's worth of DFS+ /BBS- shaves from that blade. There was a little more blade feel from the Leaf blade, and it lasted a bit longer, but the final results were the same. In the long run, I think I'd prefer the Derby to the leaf simply because it was a bit smoother.

Mine came yesterday and I hadn't shaved my head or neck in about a week, so it was going to be a challenge. I'd usually use one of my slants for this long of growth, but the Twig handled it fine. It gave a very smooth and mild feeling shave, but still took down the long growth without batting an eye. I probably had to rinse it more than i would a slant, but it did not clog, and if it did it is very easy to loosen the clamp to rinse everything mid shave. The results were very smooth, and the small head makes edging the beard very accurate making it easier to get nice straight lines, and into tight areas.

I found the weight and grip of the handle very nice and had no problem with the head angle. It felt quite easy to handle and easy to find the right angle. I usually use a Personna 74, but my supply if them is dwindling, and it's safe to assume I won't have them forever. I used one of the Leaf blades that came with the Twig and it did a very nice job. I suspect it will be equally comfortable with any decent blade.

I haven't bought a new razor in years, hadn't felt the design of the old DEs had been improved upon in decades, but when IO saw the Twig I was intrigued, especially by the compact head and the clever use of half DE blades an an SE design. I am very pleased with this one. We'll give it some time to see if the novelty wears off, but it may very well supplant my vintage slants as my favorite razor. It will definitely take the place of the Gillete Red Tip as my favorite gentle razor, and I suspect my wife may prefer it to the Lady Gillettes she's been using.

Came in today. First shave was quite good with 3 passes and some touch ups but, no nics or cuts and certainly no irritation. Going to give it a go for a full week and see how it pans out. Mechanism is pretty precise and blade alignment is true end to end while being held securely. No blade chatter and no skipping once the shave was underway. Nice first shave...

6903A742-CBF5-4894-B2E1-70B272421DF3.jpeg

F5A2111F-06CE-417D-A5F0-FC92B17912F4.jpeg

178A3FED-8D20-4E50-BBEE-C946EAE62F42.jpeg

BE79538E-CF05-4909-BC4C-C3FC27798D37.jpeg

7AFC26A5-3FF1-4306-A34A-09A56BED417B.jpeg

49B508E4-B47C-408D-BBA2-B4356BCF11A2.jpeg

First shave with the Twig with a Personna Israeli Red blade that had about 3 shaves on it. On first pass received 4 weepers. Pulled out my OneBlade Hybrid and finished the next two passes. I will admit I was in a hurry this morning so will have to take my time and put in a fresh blade on the next shave before I give a valid opinion.

Second shave with the Twig. Did get a BBS shave with an Astra SP half blade. Is a nice mild razor almost like an injector in performance. Did have 5 weepers and some mild irritation, not sure if that's the razor's fault or operator error. May try the blade that came with the razor and see how that does.

My money's on operator error, particularly with the irritation. The balance on the Twig is very different from most DEs, so it might take a shave or two to dial it in. My second shave was better than my first.

Regarding the Leaf blades, they're pretty good, but I think I prefer the Viking Sword or the Derby Premium.

Top Bottom