What's new

Back in August I Kicked a Twig down the road...

I got mine today. I used it to shave my neck and outline my beard. I actually struggled a little. To me the angle was different from my injectors and DEs. With a little practice I’m sure I’ll get it.

It was very nimble and I really like the idea of using DE blades since I have have a huge variety in my den.

The pictures below show it next to a Gillette Super Speed , a Schick Type J2 and a Supply Co 2.0.

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Mercury arrived today, with no customs charge to London!

IMG_0201.JPGIMG_0205.JPGIMG_0203.JPG
IMG_0204.JPGIMG_0202.JPG

I haven't tried it yet, but it's beautifully engineered, with a nice weight, and I love the simplicity of the blade falling into place with the magnet (no DE alignment issues). The Leaf is a little imprecise for my liking, as good a razor as it is. I did notice Adam responding to a suggestion on Kickstarter regarding a two-blade razor in what appeared to be the affirmative some months back. so it looks as though they wish to continue expanding.

Gonna try mine now with a KAI. Report later.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok....not bad at all!!

Disclaimers:

Started with a KAI, already used once.
Using new SOC mixed brush, just breaking in.
Also second use of a new soap, CBL Barba.

Fist pass was rough. I figured a KAI would be slightly better due to being a bit thicker. Not.

Half way through second pass, I switched to a fresh Wizamet. Wow...big difference. Pretty smooth.

The razor itself is pretty nimble. I can see myself using this quite a bit. We will see....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did my third beard/neck trim and around the ears today with mine. I was having so much fun I almost have a goatee now. I really dig the small head. I usually use Artist club or Schick style injectors for trimming. Even though the Twig’s head looks like it’s the same size as a classic Schick it’s more nimble because it’s partially skeletonized. @Azumarill ‘a pictures really illustrates that well. The skeletonized head with the 30 degree angle feels much smaller and nimble to me then an injector with a 10-15 degree angle.

I’m a massive fan of the Leaf for head shaving. It’s so much better for me then any DE, injector or cartridge system I’ve used but I could never get the beard/neck trimming right with it though. I could get around the ears but it was work. The Twig actually does solve this issue very well. I guess I’m buying into the Leaf ecosystem of products.

proxy.php

I am glad the bulk of you are having good results. I tried to shave with the Twig for the third time and it just wasn't a pleasant shave for me. I contacted Leaf and returned it today along with a Leaf I had bought for my wife that she did not like the weight of that razor. I was disappointed that either razor did not work out. YMMV and I hope others find great success with the Twig.

I am glad the bulk of you are having good results. I tried to shave with the Twig for the third time and it just wasn't a pleasant shave for me. I contacted Leaf and returned it today along with a Leaf I had bought for my wife that she did not like the weight of that razor. I was disappointed that either razor did not work out. YMMV and I hope others find great success with the Twig.

In fairness, I’ve only used my Twig for edging my beard and shaving my neck. I’m interested in how the folks that use it for face shaving like it.

Three days growth, three passes and smooth as silk. Shaves as good as many of my top tier shavers. And that’s saying something from a razor that cost me $65. Definitely worthy of staying in the shave rotation and would recommend to anyone looking for a budget priced SE razor that actually performs better than one should have expected (well, at least what I would have expected). Kudos to Leaf. A great day and shaves to all....

28B4C072-51ED-4755-9E7E-C6F18FD6BABE.jpeg

A good Sunday morning shave. The Leaf blade was coming to its end on this go around with a tiny bit of tugging but, it still finished off a great feeling shave leaving my skin smooth, clean and whisker free. Lisa’s had something to do with that I would suppose as the lather was protective and slick. Finished off with an awesome combo of Clubman Whiskey Woods & JV Vintage for a smooth boozy, tobacco, woody and light amber sweetness that announces “Man Here”. Great day and shaves to all....

D4EAF6D2-BB44-43E6-B612-AF0F9752F266.jpeg

Fresh blade, good suds and the Twig gave a flawless shave. This razor is no slouch and with a different blade installed, I believe it will make a good razor even better. Going to try a couple of my favorites in the Twig to see if my presumed theory is correct. A wonderful evening and shaves to all....

01D898CE-1F8B-48D6-921E-3E3AC2F46F69.jpeg

It is on my wishlist is going to be interesting which finish will shave the most comfortable Matt or gloss. Visually mercury wins but it could be flat black gives more grip and the same glide

Understood as preference is king when it comes to ones shave tool of choice in whatever finish they may be in. But, in my experience finish really doesn't have much of an impact on shave feel. A good quality soap that is sufficiently hydrated and offers glide & slickness will trump any finish of whatever razor one may have. Matte, Glossy or Polished finish takes a back seat to a great lather every time. For me at least.

Happy shaves..... :shaving:

Understood as preference is king when it comes to ones shave tool of choice in whatever finish they may be in. But, in my experience finish really doesn't have much of an impact on shave feel. A good quality soap that is sufficiently hydrated and offers glide & slickness will trump any finish of whatever razor one may have. Matte, Glossy or Polished finish takes a back seat to a great lather every time. For me at least.

Happy shaves..... :shaving:
That was my initial experience until I had an Alluminium paa slant with a brass powdercoat finish. That was more like a suction cup than a razor for me. And I have had a focus dynamic r50 in stainless and it’s sibling r48 in Alluminium. The stainless had a better glide. But on most razors I do not notice it. A nice slick layer of stirling hides a lot.

In general I do prefer non slip handles though.

Any UK users able to write up their experience with this razor, shave quality, shipping time, shipping price. The more I read and see the more I'm thinking this is a good way to start using my DE stash in stead of buying new blades for my Gem razors, oneblade, FA razors.

Last edited:
First shave with my Black Twig turned out well. Used my Wee Scot and WSP Formula T Gaelic Tweed. The angle is a lot different than my daily drivers (usually vintage Gilettes). Sorry for the crappy pic - I haven't taken a picture of shaving gear in a long time.
Twig shave.jpg

Questions for anyone who has shaved with both the new Twig and the Henson (AL13 Medium or Ti Aggressive):

1) Is the Twig shaving angle equally intuitive as with the Henson design?
2) Is the Twig as "safe" to use as the Henson design (very little chance of cuts and weepers)?
3) Can you get a BBS shave with a 3 pass shave and a little cleanup/buffing, as with the Henson?

I know it is somewhat unfair to compare a DE razor to a SE razor, but both the Leaf Twig and the Henson are going after the same demographic...converting shavers using cartridge/plastic single use razors to higher quality DE/SE razors and blades. IMHO, both are disrupters to the shaving market (due to low cost of entry), with extremely innovative designs. I plan to acquire a new Twig as soon as they are readily available from Leaf. They are currently on "pre-order" to non-Kickstarter participants. I currently have 2 Henson AL13 razors and the Henson Ti Aggressive. For me, those razors give the most effortless and comfortable shaves, when compared to any vintage, artisan or high end razors in my collection. IMHO, we are living the the "golden age" of mens wet shaving products...due to the many options available (hardware & software) when compared to any other time in history.

Questions for anyone who has shaved with both the new Twig and the Henson (AL13 Medium or Ti Aggressive):

1) Is the Twig shaving angle equally intuitive as with the Henson design?
2) Is the Twig as "safe" to use as the Henson design (very little chance of cuts and weepers)?
3) Can you get a BBS shave with a 3 pass shave and a little cleanup/buffing, as with the Henson?

I know it is somewhat unfair to compare a DE razor to a SE razor, but both the Leaf Twig and the Henson are going after the same demographic...converting shavers using cartridge/plastic single use razors to higher quality DE/SE razors and blades. IMHO, both are disrupters to the shaving market (due to low cost of entry), with extremely innovative designs. I plan to acquire a new Twig as soon as they are readily available from Leaf. They are currently on "pre-order" to non-Kickstarter participants. I currently have 2 Henson AL13 razors and the Henson Ti Aggressive. For me, those razors give the most effortless and comfortable shaves, when compared to any vintage, artisan or high end razors in my collection. IMHO, we are living the the "golden age" of mens wet shaving products...due to the many options available (hardware & software) when compared to any other time in history.

1) The Twig shaving angle is at least as intuitive as the Henson. In both cases, you lay one surface almost flat against the skin. With the Henson it's the beveled edge; with the Twig it's the top surface.
2) With the Henson I nicked myself twice on the first shave. I've got 20 shaves in with the Twig with no nicks ever.
3) Again, on my face, edge to the Twig. Three passes plus buffing is my normal routine. I've gotten a few BBS shaves with the Twig, none with the Henson. Overall I seem to get a closer shave with the Twig. YMMV.

I'll probably end up buying it tomorrow, still thinking about it

I have the regular Leaf razor for headshave that I use 3 times a week.

Top Bottom