What's new

Back again after several years

Thanks! I also like them. Even if a particular comparison has been done before, a new person may have a different perspective and ask different questions. This can then make new information available to other people in the future.
Although, at the moment I am answering all my questions with YMMV before I even post them :)
I really appreciate reading about someone's experience of using a razor over time, their initial impression, after a few times of using it, and then a long-term perspective. It's interesting to me to follow a YouTube channel for instance, where they use the same razor multiple times over a period of years and see how their use of it changes as their technique changes, as they age, and so on. And yes, of course, everything has a YMMV asterisk. 🤓

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Welcome back! I came back after about a 5-year hiatus, and found that my experience had broadened quite a bit. Soaps I could not tell the difference between, all of a sudden I could! Blades and/or razor I thought I could not use, I found I could! Good luck on your search for a DE. I'd say look at the inexpensive vintage razors before the expensive new stuff. Especially since you seem to have gone down the SR path a bit, and have made some investment there.

Get a good daily shaver Gillette Fatboy of the 'Bay, I'm loving mine.

Welcome back! I came back after about a 5-year hiatus, and found that my experience had broadened quite a bit. Soaps I could not tell the difference between, all of a sudden I could! Blades and/or razor I thought I could not use, I found I could! Good luck on your search for a DE. I'd say look at the inexpensive vintage razors before the expensive new stuff. Especially since you seem to have gone down the SR path a bit, and have made some investment there.

Get a good daily shaver Gillette Fatboy of the 'Bay, I'm loving mine.
Thanks John, and thanks for your sound advice.

I actually started of with this in mind, but I gave in before I could read your post and possibly rethink my strategy.

I ordered a Razorock Game Changer .68 plus .84 plate and a Razorock Lupo .72 plaus the .95 plate from Italian Barber.
The Game Changer .68 comes with the titanium (Ti) handle - they didn't have many options available at the time, so I ordered a bulldog handle just in case the Ti is too light :-0

I also ordered a few different packs of blades.

I should have many bases covered with these combinations and hopefully I can determine what works best for me in terms of aggressiveness/efficiency.

All the while I had the GRUME and sabbatical participants in my thoughts.
Hang in there guys if you are reading this.

Oh, and I also ordered a puck of the Haslinger Schafmilch Shaving Soap based on suggestions made in my thread requesting alternatives to Mitchell's Wool Fat from fans of that product. This was the only one that Italian Barber had available out of all of the suggestions.

Anyway, after trying out some ridiculously cheap poor quality DE razors, I decided that, all things considered, machined stainless steel with a thin head profile was the way to go. Oh, what a rabbit hole...

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir, Haslinger Schafmilch V2 is a Top Tier soap for sure, having all the requirements needed: ease of latherability, stability of lather, slickness and incredible post shave feel.

And, of course, a very warm welcome back to B&B. :001_smile

Sir, Haslinger Schafmilch V2 is a Top Tier soap for sure, having all the requirements needed: ease of latherability, stability of lather, slickness and incredible post shave feel.

And, of course, a very warm welcome back to B&B. :001_smile
Thank you Sir.
And I am looking forward to trying out the Haslinger Schafmilch V2.

I will also try out some of the other suggestions that were made in my MWF alternatives thread, and I may update that thread with my opinions.

Top Bottom