What's new

Back after a few years

I started with a Merkur 34c which got lost, ifound the head too large and the shave very agressive. I decided to come back and try a Edwin Jagger de89 but find even with feathers thr shave is quite mild and the blades dont last very long. Can anybody suggest any alternatives?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Welcome back! While Feather blades are super sharp, to me that also means the edge is so thin to get them that way, they degrade faster. I would say you are back to grabbing one of the ever popular blade sampler packs and giving the variety a test.

Welcome back. I'm surprised to hear you call the 34c very aggressive and the DE89 quite mild. Most reviews describe them as very similar in aggression, maybe medium. I've used the DE89 many times with Feathers and find it a comfortable and efficient shaver. Are you sure you have the right angle? I use the DE89 with a very shallow angle, and it works well for me.

Welcome back. I'm surprised to hear you call the 34c very aggressive and the DE89 quite mild. Most reviews describe them as very similar in aggression, maybe medium. I've used the DE89 many times with Feathers and find it a comfortable and efficient shaver. Are you sure you have the right angle? I use the DE89 with a very shallow angle, and it works well for me.
I would echo this comment. I would also add that if you are committed to trying something different then a vintage pre-war Tech, either the Fat Handle or the Ball End.
Paired with a Personna Lab Blue, a Nacet or Gillette Silver Blue, they provide a very nice shave.

I would echo this comment. I would also add that if you are committed to trying something different then a vintage pre-war Tech, either the Fat Handle or the Ball End.
Paired with a Personna Lab Blue, a Nacet or Gillette Silver Blue, they provide a very nice shave.

Welcome on!

I can vouch for the Fat Handle Tech. If you’re worried about aggressiveness, look for the one with non-triangular slots. Techs are very simple and very reliable shavers, proven in quality and great shaves. If you want aggressive without the bigger head I think Fatip Piccolo fits that bill. If you want totally mild similar to the EJ, there is a Tech clone called the Razorock Teck II.

All are very well priced and give great shaves.

Possibily me calling the 34c agressive was down to my complete lack of experience at time almost cutting myself every shave i remember nicking my nostril quite badly once.

Welcome back to B&B.
Possibily me calling the 34c agressive was down to my complete lack of experience at time almost cutting myself every shave i remember nicking my nostril quite badly once.
I think you need to work on technique as cuts and nicks are due to user error. The DE89 should be giving you a good shave with the correct technique. Try GSB, Astra SP, Nacet or 7 O'Clock SharpEdge blades which are generally well liked. You may wish to consider the Gillette Slim Adjustable for a change in razor or the Merkur Progress. Don't underestimate the value of a good quality lather to achieve a good shave.

Glad you are back. If you are looking for a sharp blade like Feather but want them to last a little longer...look into Kai blades. Almost as sharp as Feather blades, but much smoother and will last a little longer.

Glad you are back. If you are looking for a sharp blade like Feather but want them to last a little longer...look into Kai blades. Almost as sharp as Feather blades, but much smoother and will last a little longer.
[emoji106]

Welcome back! While Feather blades are super sharp, to me that also means the edge is so thin to get them that way, they degrade faster. I would say you are back to grabbing one of the ever popular blade sampler packs and giving the variety a test.

Top Bottom