What's new

Back after a couple years - checking back in and a question

Hey Guys - I've been away from B&B for a couple years now (still straight shaving) and recently felt like checking back in. First - great to see a few familiar faces / haven't talked to lots of you guys for a while. Its amazing how many different folks are doing the posting now than a couple years ago.

One thing I'm noticing - the B/S/T looks slowwwwww compared to how it used to be. It used to be likely that you'd see a dozen straights go by during a day and the last few days I've been watching it seems like its 1 to 3 straights a day.... I know straight shaving is picking up in popularity, what's up? If the last few days of activity is typical . . . where is everybody buying and selling their straights? Or there normally more activity?

I think it comes in waves. The DE side of things definitely has a larger base but if you check regularly, there are lots of straights that come up. You can also check the hobbyist/vendor classifieds as there are usually some posted there as well.

Welcome back Dallas

I agree, BST has slowed in terms of straight razor offerings. Sad to say no more Telly, who used to put up a lot of nice razors.

I still have the thiers issard razor I purchased from you, a very nice razor indeed. Maybe I'll break that puppy out for the morning

I guess the hobbyist classifieds is new to me - all that hobbyist trade used to be in the main forum. Where'd Telly go?

Oh yeah - which TI was that: worked spine eagle in cocobolo? Was thinking about that one the other day...

this one

$TI 6.8.jpg

the rules for BST have changed and the hobbyists sprung out of some of the churn. clearly ihave no idea what exactly happened with aforementioned members, but i'd guess it was logistics.

Hobbyist refers to those who have a shaving-related business as a hobby, rather than a full-on attempt to make a living.

Here's a fun story for everyone.

A few years ago, my life experienced a measure of tumult (read: de-spousing) which compelled me to liquidate any and all luxuries; it wasn't completely necessary, but seemed like the smart thing to do. In doing so, I reluctantly passed along a particularly favored razor to Dallas...

$gugi25.jpg

...which he implemented among the capstones in his seven-day set. Over time, it seems, he moved on from the idea and thinned out the stable. Fast forward nearly three years and having reconciled the 'past unpleasantness', the bug bit me again and I found myself longing for the old treasures, with a pointed desire to recover the 7/8 quarter-hollow, shoulder-less & thumb-notched Le Grelot and a certain Palmera (somebody help!).

I tapped out a quick PM to Dallas, only to discover that he was longer in possession! But! Quick on the task, he had me in contact with the latest owner (after tracking through two others) after mere days. In short, my Le Grelot has since returned home and Dallas wouldn't even allow me to pass along a 'finder's commission' to further express my gratitude. Instead, I think he hunted down his own prized Le Grelot from the past ;)

And thus is how we both found ourselves back in the thick of the madness...Thanks, Dallas!

Excellent summary of the madness - amazing to be able to track down a rare razor over 3 hops like that! That razor is worth the effort - pretty much irreplaceable so I'm not surprised it called home.

Here is the Le Grelot I have on the back way home after a 2 year holiday in the warm sun of San Diego . . .

Attachments

• $LG14G10-2.jpg
    $LG14G10-2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 107
Excellent summary of the madness - amazing to be able to track down a rare razor over 3 hops like that! That razor is worth the effort - pretty much irreplaceable so I'm not surprised it called home.

Here is the Le Grelot I have on the back way home after a 2 year holiday in the warm sun of San Diego . . .

That's awesome!!! Never seen a 14 le grelot. Although I remember uk thiers having a bunch of atypical 14s model brands. Can't remember what it was though.

Top Bottom