What's new

Babybacks or Saint Louis cut of ribs--which do you prefer?

Another thread got my feeble mind wondering what others feel about the Holy Grail of barbecue--pork ribs. I enjoy both baby back and St. Louis ribs, prefer the latter. What says the rest of you?

As much as i keep hearing SL are go to standard, i like baby backs much better. I dont dislike SL by any means though.

Being from St. Louis, I still would pick up baby backs if I had a choice. Baby backs are a far simpler cut to smoke (3lb slab for four hours at 225 and you have perfect ribs). Far more meat on the St. Louis cut, but baby backs are the standard amongst the best BBQ establishments for a reason.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Both, but peel that icky membrane off the bottom first.

Buddy smoked some ribs on the Fourth, had to peel that plasticky bit off.

AA

I buy full spares and cut them into a St. Louis cut. I put the rib tips in the freezer for use in cooking beans, etc or collect enough and have a rib tip dinner. The baby backs/loin backs you get today are way too big in my opinion. When sliced, some of the BB ribs taste more like a small pork chop. Plus I prefer the more fat found on the full spares. But..... both are great! Pork rules!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Untrimmed spares (i.e., tips on) are my favorite by far. Shoot, to be honest, rib tips are my very favorite.

But, yeah, you gotta take that membrane off any pork ribs. It only takes a moment, and it makes all the difference.

St. Louis are my favorite. They have to be dry (no sauce) though. That way I can control the amount and type of sauce (if any) that goes on them

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
20200709_081132.jpg
20200709_081141.jpg

Top Bottom