What's new

B1 Slant or X3 or Wunderbar?

Happy New Year, all.

RAD has struck, especially for a new Slant. I use an ATT S1, an ATT S2 and a Shavecraft 102 regularly. I'm fond of all three, with the nod going to the S1 by a nose. I'd like to branch out.

Can anyone compare the iKon B1 Slant with the Shavecraft X3, or either of them with the Wunderbar, in use? Other Slant suggestions are also welcome.

I have the X3, Wunderbar, & PPA Bakelite OC Slant. The X3 and Wunderbar are very efficient and smooth - to the point where you sometimes can't detect them cutting. This comfort comes at a lack of feedback. The Wunderbar will bite you if you are not careful and can be aggressive. Both of these razors keep me on my toes, and I have not used them recently because it seemed I was more prone to weepers when using them. I have the older Wunderbar with the original handle. I think the original was heavier then the current design. I almost sold my X3 before giving it a second chance and with more experience under my belt, I obtained great results. Bottom line is that both the X3 and Wunderbar are good razors but both seem to be rough on my face for daily use. I would say the Wunderbar is the better razor of the 2. Honestly, yet unexpectedly, I prefer the PAA OC bakelite slant over the other two slants. I always get a great shave & there is no lack of feedback. The price is also the best. I thought this razor would be fun to try and more of a novelty, but I was wrong and it turned out to be a great acquisition. In order of preference as a daily driver, I would rate my slants as:
1) PAA OC Bakelite
2) Wunderbar
3) X3
Steve

Thanks, Steve. The last thing I need early in the AM is to get bitten. My ATTs and my 102 are all pretty forgiving, and they give me very-good-to-excellent results, especially with the right blade (in my case, usually a Polsilver or a Gillette Silver Blue but sometimes a Gillette Black or a Wilk).

I've been toying with the idea of trying a PAA OC. You've probably decided it for me. I'll let you know how I do.

I have the X3, Wunderbar, & PPA Bakelite OC Slant. The X3 and Wunderbar are very efficient and smooth - to the point where you sometimes can't detect them cutting. This comfort comes at a lack of feedback. The Wunderbar will bite you if you are not careful and can be aggressive. Both of these razors keep me on my toes, and I have not used them recently because it seemed I was more prone to weepers when using them. I have the older Wunderbar with the original handle. I think the original was heavier then the current design. I almost sold my X3 before giving it a second chance and with more experience under my belt, I obtained great results. Bottom line is that both the X3 and Wunderbar are good razors but both seem to be rough on my face for daily use. I would say the Wunderbar is the better razor of the 2. Honestly, yet unexpectedly, I prefer the PAA OC bakelite slant over the other two slants. I always get a great shave & there is no lack of feedback. The price is also the best. I thought this razor would be fun to try and more of a novelty, but I was wrong and it turned out to be a great acquisition. In order of preference as a daily driver, I would rate my slants as:
1) PAA OC Bakelite
2) Wunderbar
3) X3
Steve

Interesting demonstration of YMMV. I found the PAA to be harsh and the X3 to be a razor I could use mindlessly without a concern about nicks, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find the X3 to be one of my most forgiving razors, and good for a very quick shave for that reason. To me it's not that different to the 102 in terms of feel and results, so I'd go for something different. The Wunderbar would be a good option, but my recommendation would be a Fasan slant, for its pure efficiency.

Wunderbar for me. One of the few razors that is a one pass plus touch up. Some folks have issues with it, but if you give it the respect it deserves, it will reward you with a great, comfortable shave. The B1 was one of my early slants and I sold it because it wasn't much better than my 39c. X3 is very much on the mild and forgiving side. I put an O ring between the handle and base plate just to adjust it a little to make it more aggressive on the side with less teeth, but still on the mild side.

I have used the x3, wunderbar and att s2. For me the x3 was to mild so I sold it. I love the att s2, I have only used the wunderbar a couple of times but so far it is giving wonderful shaves. It will take some time to decide which one I like the best. The wunderbar is a smooth shaver.
Smurf

Thanks, Steve. The last thing I need early in the AM is to get bitten. My ATTs and my 102 are all pretty forgiving, and they give me very-good-to-excellent results, especially with the right blade (in my case, usually a Polsilver or a Gillette Silver Blue but sometimes a Gillette Black or a Wilk).

I've been toying with the idea of trying a PAA OC. You've probably decided it for me. I'll let you know how I do.

Good luck. I look forward to hearing about your decision and findings.
Steve

Just sold my X3 after giving it not a second but a third chance because I really wanted to like it. I prefer mild razors but this one was too inefficient.
Blade exposure was equally uneven on both sides, varying from mid aggressive on the right to no exposure at all on the left.

I got rid of my X3 as well, the B1 is more aggressive. I love the Wunderbar and is very efficient, the PAA open comb Bakelite slant gave me the closest and smoothest shave without any razor burn.

See if I have this right: The general consensus, but not the unanimous view, is that the PAA OC Slant is surprisingly effective, and that the Wunderbar is worth the price, maybe more.

So I'll widen my question: How do the PAA Alpha Ecliptic (Bakelite and aluminum versions) and the Merkur 37C/39C fit in? I'm on the list for bahomebrew's New Fine Slant Passaround. My turn should come in a month or so, and I'll share my experiences.

The PAA AES (both versions) is a more refine diagonal slant, which is what your Ikon 102 is. It gets it's slantness by tilting the head. The AES in addition pents the top cap so you maintain the perfect angle when shaving. It is very efficient and comfortalbe. I would recommend getting the bakelite version because the aluminum version adds nothing to the shave and in fact, I found that the point on the top cap and the edges were very sharp and could scratch if not careful.

The Merkur 37c/39c is the grand daddy of the modern slants and the design has been around longer than we have and it is still very popular. There is a good reason for that and it is because it is THAT good. The shave is something close to the ATT slants, again being very efficient and comfortable. The Wunderbar is still my favorite, but the 39c is still in my active rotation. The RR German 37 is a cheap way to try it out as it is the closest clone to the real thing, you can get the head only, and it is a three piece instead of a two.

The rr German 37 will be my next razor purchase after I spend some time with my wunderbar and my not yet used Gillette new short comb.
Smurf

I ordered a PAA Bakelite OC Slant last evening. I'll let you know how it works out.
The favorable reports on the PAA AES, the RR German-37 and the RR Wunderbar are intriguing, but one thing at a time!
Thanks to all for your advice, and Happy New Year.

Top Bottom