B.O.S.S. Brotherhood of Slant Shavers

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Saturday December 4, 2021
Razor: RRSSSSV4
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Brush: Omega 10005 DecemBOAR
Soap: Yardley

One of the lovely things about the Stealth Slant is that it leaves very little behind. Considering how mild it is, that's quite some feat. I notice that a two-day growth is just noticeably shorter than with some other razors. Lathered up and hauled this massive chunk of premium stainless around my noggin for a really smooth DFS.

O.H.

I'll be using the Wunderbar in the coming weeks, testing blades, etc.
I came back to it after using other razors for a while, but have some experience with it already from the previous round. I started with a mild blade, Treet Platinum because it worked well before. The Wunderbar is an efficient beast! (shocking XD). With this blade it is comfortable too, irritation levels are to the minimum. The blade could be sharper (to say the least), but the comfort it provides is great. Going ATG is not so great however, it just catches if I try to do it with minimum pressure and effort. (sometimes I try to go ATG for a couple of strokes during cleanup, but not everywhere)
I have noticeably shorter stubble after 2 days with 2(.5) passes only. I assume after a true BBS shave(which I never do/aim for), I could wait 3days between shaves. :straight:

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Dec 16th 2021

Razor: Razorock Wunderbar slant-Mfg 2017> upper mid range, light touch, amazing high tolerances for a slant & made from 316 SS. Once technique dialed in this razor will reward a person with stellar shaves.
Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP(4) sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap: Gillette Pure cream, nice sweet clean scent with great lather qualities.(misted)
Brush: Yaqi Atlantis synthetic- reminds me of a badger brush with the face feel it gives, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave: brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: witch cleanse + Nivea refreshing AS + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion (balm) + scentless.
Results: 9/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:excellent shave with the RR Wunderbar slant with a Gillette 7 oClock SP.
SOTD, Dec 16, 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

5 shaves with the wunderbar using a 7 o'clock green. the things I learned: lather quality is paramount with this razor. I don't think I do bad lather usually, but this razor needs the perfect lather, otherwise anything other than WTG will result in irritation. 2nd, I never thought I used pressure, but light pressure now comes into new light. I'd say as light as possible, just barely touch your skin, light. Sort of what the SR guys used to say, though I never used a straight in my life.
The 7oc green was put back on my buy list to be used with the wunderbar. It lasted 5 shaves, that is rare for me, I usually toss each blade after 4 shaves, but mostly after 3.

Old Hippie

ATT S2 this morning. I think I'm on a long-term run with it, as I've used it a couple of times now and I need a little touch-up on the hot technique for this lovely razor. I'm good with that.

O.H.

Christmas day shave with the Wunderbar and a Personna lab blue (3rd and last use). I got the A&E Kaizen AS splash as a gift. I tried it for the first time today. Great splash, didn't burn my face off (I have been using AS balms ever since I shave so I was a bit afraid of the burn), only a mild burn, but I had to finish with my usual balm as it is -15C outside. The scent is great, it is "present" even hours after applying it.
Back to the shave: although many praise this blade for its longetivity, for me it barely lasted 3 shaves. The 1st shave was great, although I felt the blade a bit more than usual. The 2nd and 3rd shaves the sharpness suffered. It did not become harsh though. Anyway, these blades are very hard to come by in EU-land, also the price is astronomical (60cents per blade or so, from local vendors), so I won't be buying them in the future.
On the plus side, it seems I have learned to shave with the Wunderbar without getting irritation.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Thur, Jan13th 2022

Razor: Razorock German 37 slant, MFG-2016> nice mid range, still needs respect regardless how smooth it feels cutting on the skin. It is very efficient and with in reach of any fellow new or seasoned for affordability. Two pass with clean ups is all that is needed usually or you will over shave for my beard type IMO.
Blade: Gillette silver blue(5) Perfect blade for myself, sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity. Top tier blade IMO.
Soap: Razorock XXX, mild nice scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 22 mm 2band badger "ever-helpful", excellent lather generator, soft pillow tips, excellent scrubber, great painter. This brush is designed for those fellows who love to scrub IMO.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX slash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(balm) + scentless.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 3 blemish weepers= :a17:Excellent shave with my RR 37 slant with a GSB blade.
SOTD Jan 13 , 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

This last week has accidentally turned into a slant only week and I have been really enjoying it. This morning's tools of choice were:
Merkur 37C
Personna Super Stainless (USA made Lab Blue)
Omega 621 badger
Southern Witchcrafts Incorporeal (unscented) which I'm trying to 3017

Got a bit of feedback from the TOBS Sandalwood AS but it was nevertheless a fantastic shave!

Old Hippie

Back to my favourite for a while...

ATT S2
Astra SP (1)
Omega Boar
Peppermint Trip soap

Everybody should experience perfection once in a while!

O.H.

I have travelled last week, took the 37C with me with some Rapira and Voshkod blades. I don't expect stellar shaves while travelling, so I took the Merkur, it is easy to use, but shaves close enough, and most importantly does not bite. Blades came from my "bottom shelf", meant to be used up eventually. In the end I used a single Rapira blade 4-5 times. The Rapira was great in the Merkur: medium sharp and smooth. It lasted 5 shaves. It surprised me, for me it is clearly above the Voshkod in every possible way.
I got home, I had to try it with the Wunderbar(a new blade), and again, a great shave. Not the sharpest, but sharp enough, and "invisibly" smooth. I used the Speick AS lotion (splash), almost no burn/stinging. Let's see how long it lasts, but I moved this from the don't buy column into the buy column.
The Speick AS I acquired in a drugstore, along with a dark blue Speick cream. I was looking for something else, but my wife noticed it, I couldn't leave it there. It was nice to buy something in a store, no fuss with delivery, etc...

Swapping out the handle on this PAA Fakelite OC Slant (actual name is the Filament) turned it from a good razor into a terrific one: the weightier handle makes it more comfortable in the hand, and improves the consistency of contact of the shave.

So, for $3, the fake stainless steel Chinese handle is a solid pairing with the Fakelite Slant! :)

Swapping out the handle on this PAA Fakelite OC Slant (actual name is the Filament) turned it from a good razor into a terrific one: the weightier handle makes it more comfortable in the hand, and improves the consistency of contact of the shave.

So, for $3, the fake stainless steel Chinese handle is a solid pairing with the Fakelite Slant! :)
I bought that handle too.
Maybe I'll use it on my Fasan Red Tip...

Top Bottom