B.O.S.S. Brotherhood of Slant Shavers

Which one :)
The one the PAA OC slant is a copy of:
proxy.php

proxy.php

The one the PAA OC slant is not a copy of:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Note the use of Doppelschräg on BOTH boxes, thus proclaiming both razors to be double slants.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
When I think of double slants I was thinking of 2 blades like a trac 2 but it just the wording that is misleading me I believe!

I love my paa bocs, one of my favorite razors ever. I bought the bakelite alpha ecliptic, used it once for a head shave (had a beard at the time), didn't like it, and sold it. Now I wish I had kept it as I think it would be a fantastic face shaver. I'll have to pick up another one.

I had a merkur 37c (current, more mild version) and I had the same problem that @Neffarious said about his, it always left stubble behind and I would cause irritation trying to chase it down. I also have the RR German 37 and that one is much more efficient then the current merkur 37. In a different thread somewhere I posted picks that show how the RR German 37 and the modern merkur 37 do not share the same head but the older merkur 37 and the RR German 37 do.

Ugh... This makes me want to buy the alpha ecliptic haha

I hate you guys... Almost sabbatical... almost restraint... almost.... Ok I bought one....

Hi,

Yes, there were Red Dot and non red dot double slants from Fasan. They did also made a single slant. What is being pictured along with their boxes are double slants. I don't happen to have a pic of a single slant or the box.

PAA used to have a pic of a Fasan double slant on their site in the beginning. It was meant to make a point as to the cost of an original v theirs. They corrected that as their unit is not a copy of the double, but rather the single, slant. So, the PAA is not a copy of either of the Fasans pictured today.

The Double v Single is referring to the amount of helix in the twist, not the number of blades. I might be cool to have a double bladed slant, though....

Stan

Hi,

Yes, there were Red Dot and non red dot double slants from Fasan. They did also made a single slant. What is being pictured along with their boxes are double slants. I don't happen to have a pic of a single slant or the box.
I have yet to see (a picture of) a Fasan single slant. Amongst the 22 Fasans I own there certainly is none.

After having some not so great shaves with my piccolo I loaded up my paa bocs last night and instantly remembered why I love that razor. Easy 2 pass mostly BBS with minor touch up and I shaved right over irritation from the piccolo without even noticing or making it worse. I love that little razor.

Hi,

I once thought the PAA was a copy of the non-red dot Double Slant, and was saying how much I liked the red-dot one and expected that the PAA was going to be very close. Then, someone posted a pic of three razors: a non-red dot Fasan Double and a Fasan Single and the PAA and it became clear that the PAA is a copy of the Fasan Single.

So, there is a pic on the site somewhere, but just where it is I cannot say. I lost interest in the whole thing right after I saw that post. That was back when the PAA was first coming out and they had the pic of a Fasan Double on their site.

Stan

So, does the Aluminum version of the PAA Alpha Ecliptic shave exactly like the Bakelite version?

I don't have first and experience with the aluminum, only the bakelite, but I've watched many review videos about them and generally most people seem to prefer the aluminum. I think alot of this has to do with many modern wet shavers preferring the feel of metal in their hands vs plastic or bakelite. It's the paa bocs effect all over again: most people pick that razor up and say "well this is just too light and feels like plastic, I don't like it" without really using it.

For me the BAES works great on my cheeks and neck as riding the top cap is easy there. My jaw, chin, and Adams apple areas are a nightmare with that razor because it's very difficult to maintain it's preset angle in those spots. For me I don't feel like the aluminum version would improve this as it's the design that doesn't always work for me not the material.

Now if PAA made an aluminum version of the bocs...
1b9h0.jpg

Good because I ordered it already based on the Awesomeness of the Bakelite version. It's like heaven for my face. The Bakelite will find a permanent home in my travel bag along with my other permanent travel goodies.

Ron R

Here is a Irish made brass slant that seems like a good one, any one use this one at all (Manly Stuff company).
Its like a Mekur but made from brass -handle and head. Not sure what the coating is when I visited their web site in Ireland.
proxy.php

Here is a Irish made brass slant that seems like a good one, any one use this one at all (Manly Stuff company).
Its like a Mekur but made from brass -handle and head. Not sure what the coating is when I visited their web site in Ireland.
proxy.php

Interesting... The head looks basically the same as the RazoRock German 37 but with a different handle. However the RR g37 is chromed zinc I believe. That razor has been getting a lot of miles with me lately so if there is a brass version available somewhere I'm into it! I have no idea what the conversion rates are but I know the reason g37 can be had for somewhere around $15-$20 USD depending on if you get the stainless steel handle or not.

Ron R

Interesting... The head looks basically the same as the RazoRock German 37 but with a different handle. However the RR g37 is chromed zinc I believe. That razor has been getting a lot of miles with me lately so if there is a brass version available somewhere I'm into it! I have no idea what the conversion rates are but I know the reason g37 can be had for somewhere around $15-$20 USD depending on if you get the stainless steel handle or not.
They want 29 euros ($35US + shipping) according to their site, I was watching PaulHfilms on you tube and he received a good shave with it, they also make a chrome one with brass handle and head.

Top Bottom