What's new

B.O.S.S. Brotherhood of Slant Shavers

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0001 - Edited (2).jpg

Sunday 09.01.19 SOTD
Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Pre Shave Oil
Maggard Slant Chrome.Ikon OSS Handle / Shark SS (1)
Vintage Kingsley (Austria) Pure Badger
Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream
Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Aftershave​

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The ATT S2 is torqued, but it is hard to see what’s going on unless you have the razor in hand. It is designed without 3-D complex curved surfaces, in contrast to the Wunderbar and the other Mulcato-based slants from iKon.

AHA! Thank you! Excellent explanation.

O.H.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0002 - Edited (4).jpg

Wednesday 09.04.19 SOTD
Tcheon Fung Sing DiVino Pre & Post Shave Oil
RazoRock German 37.HD handle / Astra SP (1)
Haircut and Shave Co.Tuxedo synth
Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber Aftershave Splash​

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0004d - Edited (2).jpg

Saturday 09.07.19 SOTD
Taylor Of Old Bond Street Shaving Herbal Pre-Shave Gel
iKon X3 Slant.OSS Handle / Feather (2)
Yaqi Ruby Handle Two Band Badger
Barrister and Mann Cheshire Shaving Soap
Barrister And Mann Barrister's Cheshire Aftershave

Hi,

I found some pics of the Generic Solingen differential slant I used to have. This was my first slant, from back in the 2011-13 time period where I was working TDY in Irving Texas.

I got into the whole RAD thing because I didn't want to take one of my better shaving razors from the farm in NC to the apartment in TX. So, I was using my ground travel razor, a pre-war Tech, but didn't want to leave that in the apartment, either. What I wanted to do was fly back and forth with nothing but what I was wearing. So, that meant doubling up on everything in both places.

This meant one more razor that I liked using than I had. So, time to look around. And, one thing I noticed was this here Slant forum. And, I didn't know a Slant from a Gopher Hole. So, I read this forum from the beginning. And, along the way, this Generic Solingen Slant kept popping up.

Solingen_Orig_Handle.jpg

This is the Solingen with the original handle. Being made of Zamak, the handle threads were a bit worn so I swapped it for a Gillette Husky Bar Handle I had.
Solingen_Bar_Handle.jpg

Notice the change in the counter. The first was from my apartment, the second back home. You might also notice that this handle is the one I use on my Fasan with the metal top cap. I passed this Solingen onto a friend after I scored the second Fasan.

Now, this razor has a more aggressive side and a mild side. This makes it fairly special. And, why I made the comment that I wish someone would remake these in Stainless Steel. There was a metalworks in Solingen that made several types of Zamak razors, including this Slant, for other razor companies in Solingen.

Solingen_Aggressive.jpg

This is the more aggressive side. It sports a coarser set of scallops than the mild side does.

Solingen_Mild.jpg

And, this is the mild side. The Fasan does a better job of shaving, but this one comes pretty darned close. If someone ever makes this in SS, I will buy at least one. ;)

Stan

Attachments

• Solingen_Bar_Handle.jpg
    Solingen_Bar_Handle.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • Solingen_Aggressive.jpg
    Solingen_Aggressive.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
    Solingen_Aggressive.jpg
    Solingen_Aggressive.jpg
  • Solingen_Mild.jpg
    Solingen_Mild.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • Solingen_Mild.jpg
    Solingen_Mild.jpg

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0002 - Edited (3).jpg

Thursday 09.12.19 SOTD

Pre de Provence Verbena face lather and rinse
iKon X3 Slant.OSS Handle / Feather (2)
Yaqi Barber Pole Handle Two Band Badger
Pre de Provence shave soap
Pre de Provence Sante Green Tea

DSCF0019 - Edited.jpg

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0016 - Edited (2).jpg

Friday 09.13.19 SOTD

Tcheon Fung Sing DiVino Pre & Post Shave Oil
Maggard Slant Chrome.Ikon OSS Handle / Shark SS (2)
Maggard 22mm Aluminum Handle 2-Band Badger
RazoRock Mudder Focker Shave Soap
RazoRock Mudder Focker After Shaving SplashPre de Provence

DSCF0014 - Edited (1).jpg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Did a trade with member @Venkat. I had an SE1 head I wasn't in love with, he had a S2 head he wasn't in love with. So we flipped 'em straight across and I threw in some blades to get him going.

Not sure what he thinks, but I had a GREAT shave from that S2 this morning. I was wanting to go back and spend more time with slants, and this one was definitely on my list as what one member called a "rara avis" -- open comb slant in stainless. I was thinking I wanted to have both the S1 and S2, but after this shave I may start to rethink that.

Everybody has a great first shave with everything, it seems like. This was my first DE shave in over a year. Some first-day bobbles, of course, but I'm OKFW verging on DFS and that makes me happy. Besides, I get to participate a little in BOTH Slantember and OCtober with the same razor! Dang -- If I could find a beat-up Damaskeene OC I could have a three-in-one: SEptember, Slantember (because it's bent), OCtober. Maybe let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The perticklers: ATT Kronos S2/Astra SP (1)/Proraso Green/Ice Pure Badger/cold splash + Nivea for sensitive skin.

O.H.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0022 - Edited (2).jpg

Monday 09.16.19 SOTD
The Art of Shaving Sandalwood Pre-Shave Oil
iKon X3 Slant.OSS Handle / Feather (3)
Yaqi Ruby Handle 24mm 2-Band
Proraso Red Tub
Ogallala Bay Rum Aftershave

DSCF0023 - Edited (1).jpg

Did a trade with member @Venkat. I had an SE1 head I wasn't in love with, he had a S2 head he wasn't in love with. So we flipped 'em straight across and I threw in some blades to get him going.

Not sure what he thinks, but I had a GREAT shave from that S2 this morning. I was wanting to go back and spend more time with slants, and this one was definitely on my list as what one member called a "rara avis" -- open comb slant in stainless. I was thinking I wanted to have both the S1 and S2, but after this shave I may start to rethink that.

Everybody has a great first shave with everything, it seems like. This was my first DE shave in over a year. Some first-day bobbles, of course, but I'm OKFW verging on DFS and that makes me happy. Besides, I get to participate a little in BOTH Slantember and OCtober with the same razor! Dang -- If I could find a beat-up Damaskeene OC I could have a three-in-one: SEptember, Slantember (because it's bent), OCtober. Maybe let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The perticklers: ATT Kronos S2/Astra SP (1)/Proraso Green/Ice Pure Badger/cold splash + Nivea for sensitive skin.

O.H.
Thank you OH for the trade! The SE1 shaves very close and I really like the shave. I also appreciate for including the SE blades! Thanks again and let us stay in touch. This is a great forum and I am glad to associate with this. Best regards, Venkat

I had a great shave with General Aluminium SE head on a Tibam Titanium handle today! I got this great titanium handle from a great forum member and the shave was incredible! Thanks @PJO for the deal!

Attachments

• IMG_8044.jpg
    IMG_8044.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8043.jpg
    IMG_8043.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8042.jpg
    IMG_8042.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8041.jpg
    IMG_8041.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 10
I had a great shave with General Aluminium SE head on a Tibam Titanium handle today! I got this great titanium handle from a great forum member and the shave was incredible! Thanks @PJO for the deal!

That looks sharp, Venkat! I think California agrees with the Tibam — glad you are enjoying it.

I find this to be the best combination as well. The only other blade that comes close for me is Voskhod.
AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019
I did try Voskhods but am still not sure about them. I will have to try a fixed four with the 37C/Voskhod to get a better idea.

Top Bottom