What's new

B.O.S.S. Brotherhood of Slant Shavers

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I borrowed the PAA OC slant from a friend and really enjoyed it. I ended up getting the Alpha Ecliptic but I plan on picking up the OC slant later. That photo looks great BTW.
Thank you! How do you like the Alpha Ecliptic?

I took a break from my infant SR learning curve (still much better at acquiring than at shaving or honing). A slant double seemed the quickest way to the pleasure that is BBS. Besides, there were blades already loaded in two of my favorite slants.

In sequence:
Shower
Cella/boar face lather
RR Wunderbar
Warm re-lather with a bowl boost.
PBOCS brings the BBS home - what a great second pass/ touch up razor!
Rinse and dry the gear, never even checked on the types of blades

I had been missing that BBS/neck rubbing/cheek stroking sensation. Now that I can get a comfortable SR shave, I may make the PBOCS the DFS/BBS finisher while I sneak up on a close SR shave.

Shave of the day
Merkur 37C / Gillette Nacet #6/ Proraso Sandalwood and Maseto Silvertip, 27mm knot. This will be my combination for the Slant in September.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh

DSCF0005 - Edited (3).jpg
Tuesday 08.27.19 SOTD

Tcheon Fung Sing DiVino Pre & Post Shave Oil
Maggard Slant Chrome.Ikon OSS Handle / Nacet (2)
RazoRock 24mm Barrel Silvertip Badger
Chiseled Face Sherlock Shaving Soap
Chiseled Face Sherlock Aftershave Splash​

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Had a couple slant questions for the learned...

I tried (and enjoyed) a PAA Bakelite Alpha Ecliptic but then got going on another track and put it aside for a while. Now I'm trying to figure a couple of things out. It's my go-to travel razor. My understanding is that we have two slant styles, but my semantic confusion is over the current names for them. The Alpha Ecliptic is a style I've heard called a "tilted" slant or "single" slant, while the BOCS I've heard referred to as "torqued" slant or "double" slant. Am I good so far? That's question one.

Question two is about two modern razors sold as slants. The Wunderbar is a "torqued" slant, yes? And the ATT S1/S2 is a "tilted" slant? The ATT LOOKS tilted, but darnit if a Google search for "torqued" slants doesn't bring it up. At some point after the New Year I'll probably pick up another slant. I'm interested in a "torqued" slant, but beyond that I could make different cases for buying whichever. The Wunderbar is made in Canada, which appeals to me -- but it's a safety bar razor and I'd like to try an open comb. The ATT has a comb option (S2) but I think it's tilted, not torqued.

Those aren't my only options, but I tend to prefer stainless over aluminum and plastic. A little help getting unwrapped from the axle here? [grin]

O.H.

Hi,

The ATT is torqued. But, not by a lot. The PAA has a normal torque. The only Double I know of is the Fasan Double. A tilted slant has the whole head cocked to one side while the blade is straight.

Stan

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems

I tried (and enjoyed) a PAA Bakelite Alpha Ecliptic but then got going on another track and put it aside for a while. Now I'm trying to figure a couple of things out. It's my go-to travel razor. My understanding is that we have two slant styles, but my semantic confusion is over the current names for them. The Alpha Ecliptic is a style I've heard called a "tilted" slant or "single" slant, while the BOCS I've heard referred to as "torqued" slant or "double" slant. Am I good so far? That's question one.

Question two is about two modern razors sold as slants. The Wunderbar is a "torqued" slant, yes? And the ATT S1/S2 is a "tilted" slant? The ATT LOOKS tilted, but darnit if a Google search for "torqued" slants doesn't bring it up. At some point after the New Year I'll probably pick up another slant. I'm interested in a "torqued" slant, but beyond that I could make different cases for buying whichever. The Wunderbar is made in Canada, which appeals to me -- but it's a safety bar razor and I'd like to try an open comb. The ATT has a comb option (S2) but I think it's tilted, not torqued.

Those aren't my only options, but I tend to prefer stainless over aluminum and plastic. A little help getting unwrapped from the axle here? [grin]

O.H.
Hi O.H. -- I'll wade in (a little -- I'm not the best swimmer in this particular pool). My best answer to your first question is: :001_huh:. If you poke around B&B on slants, you definitely see torque / tilted / twisted / diagonal and enough synonyms of those terms to fill a thesaurus. Initially I tried getting into the "science" of slants, but found it confusing for my tiny brain, so the not-so-short-answer is: what you said sounds right, but I can neither confirm or deny the accuracy of that statement :001_smile.

Which I guess means that I can't really help with question 2 -- except to say that I love OC razors, and while I'm not a huge fan of plastic/bakelite, I do like my PAA BOCS and its inspiration the Fasan slant. But both of those razors are veritable pussycats compared to the Wunderbar, which is extremely well built and an excellent shaver -- BUT requires REAL attention to technique. If you like a razor that challenges you to shave-well or pay a price, then the Wunderbar is a good choice (IMO). I can't speak to the ATT razors, but they certainly have a good reputation.

Hope that helps -- at least a little. ;)

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0007 - Edited.jpg

Tomorrow's shave setup:

TSE Pre-Shave Oil
Putali. Ltd Heavy Duty Slant Bar / Parker Premium Platinum (1)
Vulfix 1016 Pure Badger
Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber Aftershave Splash​

Old Hippie

Hope that helps -- at least a little. ;)

That, my friend, was a wonderful summation. Thank you.

My real problem is that I have spent a 35-year career communicating for a living. Words are precise things and should be used precisely, else the barbarians pull down the gates. [grin] I can get obsessive over words. My usual result is to tell myself not to get wrapped up in which word but to grasp the general concepts.

Good advice on the Wunderbar. I've seen those comments. OK...that simply means look around a little. I don't really need much of a challenge to keep me happy. Not as much as I want a good shave! I just set aside an AC razor this morning because I realized it may be the Razor Too Far. All the time waiting for the next icy little nip... I have a feeling a couple of razors are going to hit the BST pretty soon.

Kind of like the other styles I've tried, I'll probably just jump in somewhere and go up or down from there. For now, got what I need; thanks. I'll check back when I have something substantive to add.

O.H.

Old Hippie

The ATT is torqued. But, not by a lot. The PAA has a normal torque. The only Double I know of is the Fasan Double. A tilted slant has the whole head cocked to one side while the blade is straight.
Stan

Thanks, Stan! I appreciate it. I think the PAA Alpha Ecliptic is "tilted" (have one; that's what it looks like to me) and the PAA BOCS is "torqued." I'll keep looking around; it's something to which I want to return.

O.H.

Plus I’m starting an online petition to force RazoRock to introduce the Game Changer OC to the Wunderbar. Their stainless love child will be my grail.

Alternatively, they could breed the German 37 with their zamak Old Type clone and we’ll have the slant that Merkur should have released 50 years ago. They could call it The Slincky. Or the German 37+15.

O.H.

On Question two:

The ATT S2 is torqued, but it is hard to see what’s going on unless you have the razor in hand. It is designed without 3-D complex curved surfaces, in contrast to the Wunderbar and the other Mulcato-based slants from iKon. Compare the S2 to the ATT R2, an unslanted OC that has many common design features with the S2.
S2 left, R2 right
DA448901-AEB8-4487-BF8A-C8ABC7F27BAB.jpeg

To create the S2, ATT essentially milled a slanting bevel into the raised center of the R2 baseplate, then milled a matching ramp descending L to R in the edge of the baseplate, including milling off the upper portion of the comb teeth.
One additional detail - the tips of the S2 teeth drop slightly below the bottom plane of the baseplate. The amount of drop slants across the plate to match the milled ramp, so the leftmost tooth has little or no drop while the rightmost tooth has the greatest drop. The teeth on the R2 do not drop below the bottom of the baseplate. The S2 plate wobbles, the R2 lies flat.
The S2 cap has inner angled bevels milled into it that mate with the slanting bevels on the raised center of the baseplate. It also has outer slanting bevels that further torque the edge of the blade.

S2 plate top, R2 bottom
46B34A88-B006-4B3C-8594-39BC1E37589B.jpeg

That design discussion is probably as clear as mud. I hope it was sufficiently learned. I could do it better with some decent engineering drawings. :001_rolle

Bottom line - the ATT S2 is a novel design for a torqued slant that avoids the need to design and machine 3-D curved surfaces. I have heard that the S2 design was slightly tweaked after initial release to alter the blade edge alignment. I don’t know if that is true. My S2 baseplate is dated 2014.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0005 - Edited (1).jpg

Saturday 08.31.19 SOTD
Tcheon Fung Sing DiVino Pre & Post Shave Oil
Merkur 37c HD / Personna Platinum Chrome Israeli Red (2)
Simpsons Commodore X3 Best Badger
Chiseled Face Trade Winds Shaving Soap
Chiseled Face Trade Winds Aftershave Splash​

Plus I’m starting an online petition to force RazoRock to introduce the Game Changer OC to the Wunderbar. Their stainless love child will be my grail.

Alternatively, they could breed the German 37 with their zamak Old Type clone and we’ll have the slant that Merkur should have released 50 years ago. They could call it The Slincky. Or the German 37+15.
Where do I sign?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom