What's new

B.O.S.S. Brotherhood of Slant Shavers

After reading so much and doing a lot of research, I have taken the Wunderbar off of my wishlist. My 37c does exactly what I need and want it to do, and effortlessly. I just don’t see any need to try anything else.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Today was another Wunderbar shave. First the software/hardware: Wunderbar on a Weber Bullldog handle with a Voskhod blade (5), using a 28mm RazoRock Plissoft Beehive to lather Nivea Sensitive Skin cream. If I had a RazoRock soap to use, I could have had a near-complete RazoRock shave.

So here's the thing: I'm having a weird time with this razor. The first pass is always fine, but once most of the hair is removed (which happens on the WTG pass), the second pass seems to be destined to produce at least one small weeper, as well as a potentially careless mistake which gives me a weeper-like cut. The third pass is my clean up, but I find that I need a full-on "clean-up" not "touch-up" with this razor. It strikes me as smooth feeling while I'm shaving, very efficient on the first pass, but aggressive on follow-on passes and not as efficient in terms of getting BBS without a heavy touch-up. It's possible that I'm not maintaining my angle well after the first pass.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense at all, but I am starting to understand why some of the folks who have raved about the shave, have also put their Wunderbar up for sale after a while. I have razors that require dedication to technique -- and that's okay -- but I feel like I'm walking on egg shells whenever I start my last two passes. All that said, I find that 20 to 30 minutes later my skin feels incredibly smooth, irritation free, and even the weepers are distant memories. This razor is putting me through my paces, and while I'm not yet enjoying the actual shaving, I am thoroughly enjoying the results. This is only shave #2 -- and I'm constantly telling people that they need to give a razor several shaves to build muscle memory and understand the idiosyncrasies -- so I guess I'm just kibitzing to you Bosses about my learning curve.

And I just scrolled up and found a statement that seems to encapsulate how I'm currently feeling:

I have the RR German 37, and I figured the Wunderbar would deliver better results, easier -- and so far the end results have been better, but it's hasn't been easier....yet. :001_rolle
View attachment 1004845
Have to Agree with your assessment @Flintstone65 , The Wunderbar is a challenging razor and it will let you know when a person screws up. There are easier razors to use but the Wunderbar is challenging and one of the best built stainless razors IMO & can deliver good results but a person has use it a lot to master it. Some folks might find it frustrating because of precise technique needed. I still like to use mine and I got mine at a good price and not going to sell it instead just use it for a challenging shave.! Two pass shave with mine, 1st pass WTG ,2nd ATG & 3rd just cleanup and no more because the efficiency is high and a person will over shave.
Have some great shaves!

After reading so much and doing a lot of research, I have taken the Wunderbar off of my wishlist. My 37c does exactly what I need and want it to do, and effortlessly. I just don’t see any need to try anything else.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

I love my Wunderbar and have no problems with it, but I don’t think that it (or any other razor) is a “must have”. For me, the price makes it an indulgence.

I expect that the Merkur slant head (cloned as the German 37), which has been on the market for well over 50 years and is popular today, is the most successful slant design ever. I put over 40 years on my Merkur 36 and I can’t say that my Wunderbar is a major step forward, other than in the durability of stainless steel.

Bottom line - my son wouldn’t have to put up with the trace of zamak corrosion on the threads and the small amount of plating loss on the handle and bottom plate of the Merkur 36 if I had been able to buy an SS slant back in the 70s. Or if I could convince him to trade it back to me for a Wunderbar. He prefers the Merkur.

But I have returned to my roots....and within the last week or so I have focused on acquiring the slants I was interested in before the distraction.

Hey Fred, just send me those lather catchers. I’ll mail them back when you need some distraction.:001_302:

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Hey Fred, just send me those lather catchers. I’ll mail them back when you need some distraction.:001_302:
You are too kind, sir! I am planning to try and "spread the love" with my next shave: a daily double with the Wunderbar and a Gem Junior Bar. ;)

Today was another Wunderbar shave. First the software/hardware: Wunderbar on a Weber Bullldog handle with a Voskhod blade (5), using a 28mm RazoRock Plissoft Beehive to lather Nivea Sensitive Skin cream. If I had a RazoRock soap to use, I could have had a near-complete RazoRock shave.

So here's the thing: I'm having a weird time with this razor. The first pass is always fine, but once most of the hair is removed (which happens on the WTG pass), the second pass seems to be destined to produce at least one small weeper, as well as a potentially careless mistake which gives me a weeper-like cut. The third pass is my clean up, but I find that I need a full-on "clean-up" not "touch-up" with this razor. It strikes me as smooth feeling while I'm shaving, very efficient on the first pass, but aggressive on follow-on passes and not as efficient in terms of getting BBS without a heavy touch-up. It's possible that I'm not maintaining my angle well after the first pass.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense at all, but I am starting to understand why some of the folks who have raved about the shave, have also put their Wunderbar up for sale after a while. I have razors that require dedication to technique -- and that's okay -- but I feel like I'm walking on egg shells whenever I start my last two passes. All that said, I find that 20 to 30 minutes later my skin feels incredibly smooth, irritation free, and even the weepers are distant memories. This razor is putting me through my paces, and while I'm not yet enjoying the actual shaving, I am thoroughly enjoying the results. This is only shave #2 -- and I'm constantly telling people that they need to give a razor several shaves to build muscle memory and understand the idiosyncrasies -- so I guess I'm just kibitzing to you Bosses about my learning curve.

And I just scrolled up and found a statement that seems to encapsulate how I'm currently feeling:

I have the RR German 37, and I figured the Wunderbar would deliver better results, easier -- and so far the end results have been better, but it's hasn't been easier....yet. :001_rolle
View attachment 1004845

I have had a similar experience with the RR German 37.
I found the Personna Reds to work well in this razor. (YMMV)
This razor was my Yoda razor.
There was no try only do or do not.
Do use a steep angle and a light touch
Do not apply pressure to the blade
Do shave with the grain as much as possible
Do not shave where the face is dry or has no lather
Note: My face has a lot of grain growing from my left ear to the right ear below my chin. My second pass follows this left to right pattern.
Do pay attention to your growth pattern as it is the path to no nicks or weepers.
Happy Shaving!

Ron R

I see it has already started distracting you again!

Turn away from the Dark Side. Fight it!

But are SEs or slants the dark side? :)
What the Heck @Clay S !:a22::lol1::lol: You can purchase storm trooper slants(nicknamed by folks here) from Phoenix Accouterments black or white:lol1: if you fancy the darkside!

Flintstone65

What the Heck @Clay S !:a22::lol1::lol: You can purchase storm trooper slants(nicknamed by folks here) from Phoenix Accouterments black or white:lol1: if you fancy the darkside!
I beg to differ....I was looking for a white "Stormtrooper" slant, but that hasn't been in stock in ages....only Oxblood -- and I find the BST ones are usually in Black or Oxblood....I guess the Black could be a Darth Vader, but that moniker seems be better suited for the Alpha Ecliptic razor :001_smile

View attachment 1004845
I've tried three blades in the wunderbar, about 10 shaves in total. Majority with my blade of choice, perma sharp super.

I do a two pass shave, developed the technique when I was only using SE razors (mainly injectors). First pass is a hybrid pass, but is primarily XTG everywhere. Second pass is ATG most everywhere. My lower neck is the worst part to shave: hairs grow parallel to the skin, mostly upwards but also at random angles to each other, and somehow pop up the skin too due to the ease of getting ingrowns. These leads to a recipe for weepers with every shave. I haven't had a consistently weeper free shave from any razor since starting wet shaving except when using the 37C.

I completely agree with you on the wunderbar. My first pass (mostly xtg, taken very steeply) is very efficient and usually feels great. The second pass feels like I'm riding an out of control roller coaster car through the Rocky mountains, not on any rails. And the car has a scratchy blade in it lol. First pass is super smooth. No blade feel, no issues generally. I have found that if I start feeling the blade, that means a weeper is coming. Second pass for me is essentially all going up towards the ceiling, so keeping that same super steep angle is very difficult. The long handle actually makes it so I can't get the middle of my neck at the correct angle. I may have to dig out my RazoRock HD handle so that I have a shorter length. Maybe this will save that part of my neck. The lower part is tough due to running into my collarbone. Also might be solved with a shorter handle.

For me, the wunderbar seems to have such a specific angle it requires that I'm not truly enjoying my shaves with it. We just moved prior to me getting the wunderbar, so I have no clue where that other handle is. Until I find it, the wunderbar is going to get cleaned up and put on the bench. Maybe it'll do better with the other handle. My skin is hoping so.

Hope your shaves with it improve!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Flintstone65

I've tried three blades in the wunderbar, about 10 shaves in total. Majority with my blade of choice, perma sharp super.

I do a two pass shave, developed the technique when I was only using SE razors (mainly injectors). First pass is a hybrid pass, but is primarily XTG everywhere. Second pass is ATG most everywhere. My lower neck is the worst part to shave: hairs grow parallel to the skin, mostly upwards but also at random angles to each other, and somehow pop up the skin too due to the ease of getting ingrowns. These leads to a recipe for weepers with every shave. I haven't had a consistently weeper free shave from any razor since starting wet shaving except when using the 37C.

I completely agree with you on the wunderbar. My first pass (mostly xtg, taken very steeply) is very efficient and usually feels great. The second pass feels like I'm riding an out of control roller coaster car through the Rocky mountains, not on any rails. And the car has a scratchy blade in it lol. First pass is super smooth. No blade feel, no issues generally. I have found that if I start feeling the blade, that means a weeper is coming. Second pass for me is essentially all going up towards the ceiling, so keeping that same super steep angle is very difficult. The long handle actually makes it so I can't get the middle of my neck at the correct angle. I may have to dig out my RazoRock HD handle so that I have a shorter length. Maybe this will save that part of my neck. The lower part is tough due to running into my collarbone. Also might be solved with a shorter handle.

For me, the wunderbar seems to have such a specific angle it requires that I'm not truly enjoying my shaves with it. We just moved prior to me getting the wunderbar, so I have no clue where that other handle is. Until I find it, the wunderbar is going to get cleaned up and put on the bench. Maybe it'll do better with the other handle. My skin is hoping so.

Hope your shaves with it improve!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thanks, I'm hoping they will; but I have to say that both your first and second pass descriptions (which are brilliantly vivid) really accurately capture how my experiences. I'm also struggling a bit with my south to north passes....I'm never certain that I'm getting the right angle with that particular stroke, especially on my neck. I've got several different type of DE handles, so I may start working through them to see if it helps. Aside from the cost -- this is my most expensive razor (and I got it 2nd hand on the BST) -- I really like the build quality and I'd like for this to be a razor I'd put in a top 5 (or at least top 10) list....I think it will get there, but it's going to take some tweaking and some time.

Second pass for me is essentially all going up towards the ceiling, so keeping that same super steep angle is very difficult. The long handle actually makes it so I can't get the middle of my neck at the correct angle. I may have to dig out my RazoRock HD handle so that I have a shorter length. Maybe this will save that part of my neck. The lower part is tough due to running into my collarbone. Also might be solved with a shorter handle.

Just need to reveal that I always use a short, light handle with my Wunderbar. I think such a handle is better for balance and for finding, maintaining, and adjusting the angle.

Either:

Cut down RR Ti Halo, about 78mm
5DF466A8-6506-4A87-8C1A-177DEEE077B9.jpeg

Custom Russian Ti (usually the bottom one)
1A86323C-3CA9-4B9E-92E4-587463B2B486.jpeg

Mounted with slant heads - RR G37 and RR Wunderbar
44655C4F-971F-4449-B4D9-D0DA3D89EE9E.jpeg

Flintstone65

Today was a brief shave with the Wunderbar as it shared the stage with a lather catcher (Gem Jr Bar). The "W" took the first pass since it excels at first-passes, and it did a fabulous job (no weepers or other issues). I finished the shave (2nd pass and clean-up pass) with the Gem. Despite not having mastered the "W", I am still very much enamored with it. I'm looking forward to trying some different handles and putting in the time it deserves to make it a top 10, if not top 5 razor in my den. I've got 3 other slants that I haven't tried yet (a Maggard's, a Fasan and a PAA BOCS), so I will be moving along before long, but the "W" has definitely earned a spot in my heart and den.
Shave details: RazoRock Wunderbar with Voskhod (5) and Bulldog handle | Gem Junior Bar with GEM SS PTFE (9) and custom retro-inspired wooden handle | Tabac lathered with a Yaqi 26mm Brown (Faux Horse) knot in Rainbow handle | Aftershave was Krampert's Finest Frostbite for a Menthol Monday kick
IMG_2015.jpg

I have a Maggard slant that I'm using for a bit this week before I try to give it away at the DFW get together. It easily gives me very good shaves, but my other two razors give me great shaves with about equal effort. My last razor gives lousy mediocre shaves, but it's an SR, so it's all me on that. :)

Ron R

I have a Maggard slant that I'm using for a bit this week before I try to give it away at the DFW get together. It easily gives me very good shaves, but my other two razors give me great shaves with about equal effort. My last razor gives lousy mediocre shaves, but it's an SR, so it's all me on that. :)
The Maggard slant looks like a Wunderbar in some ways and has a special coating on the head for glide, I remember Micheal Freedburg bought one and gives some good advice.
Have some great shaves!

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
Does the Parker ‘semi’ still have some cred with you? It is on my shopping list, but not a priority.

That Merkur head design will always be the baseline definition of ‘slant’ for me.
The Parker Semi-Slant and I had a falling out over its uneven blade gap.

I've PIFed my slant. So I'm withdrawing from the brotherhood. Keep up the great shaves everyone!

And with Slantember just around the corner... Maybe you got out just in time. :001_rolle Man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do. We’ll miss you.

I’m a lifer.:)

Top Bottom