What's new

B&M limited editions

Eben Stone

Staff member
I really don't understand the idea behind a limited edition. What if Passiflora and Pagganini's Voilin are very popular? Discontinuing them would mean ignoring demand from customers. As a business model this makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm actually quite annoyed by it. I like Passiflora, but I don't want to stockpile it, but if it's really a limited edition and it never comes back, then i guess that makes me an unhappy customer.

Someone please explain this nonsense.

I totally agree and can’t offer an explanation.

Paganini’s Violin is one of my favourites and might be my overall favourite. I just love the stuff.

It was just recently released as a “limited edition”. Wasn’t it a limited edition the last time I bought it and the time before that? This is the 3rd release of this soap in under 2 years.

Having said that, I only use Paganini’s Violin in the spring and summer. It is definitely not a winter soap for me. Why not have seasonal releases?

I have a full tub and an almost finished tub but don’t see the need to buy the recent release. If they don’t do another ”limited release” down the road when I run out, I’m gonna be perturbed! I guess I could buy NO Rawr which is similar. Is that a “limited edition” too? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I totally know what you mean, but I think there is an explanation. I believe it is product planning. Because he has a standard range of products, he has to keep retailers supplied. I don't know anything about his batch size, but I imagine he is trading batches of the regular line for batches of limited editions and he can only do so many before he gets behind. Also with retailers, they prefer a regular range of products. If there are going to be additions, they need to be limited so they don't get stuck with too much stock. Now the obvious question is why not integrate some of these limited editions into the regular lineup? That would be the next logical step, but I don't have his sales figures.

Side note: Leviathan was available for twice as long as these two, but Maggards only made one order even though they could have ordered more. I talked to them and had to go direct to get one thing. I think seasonals make more sense that these extremely short runs from a customer point of view. At least they are upfront about the limited nature and it's not a one day release like some other companies...

Just an FYI, for anyone that is a big Fern fan like myself, he plans to discontinue the scent. It will be gone for good, but who knows. B&M is strange with that sort of stuff. Here today, gone tomorrow, bringing it back yesterday.

I agree, i really love Passiflora and i hope it comes back but i'm not losing sleep over it or stockpile soaps. To be honest, the one soap he needs to strongly consider leaving in the regular lineup in Leviathan.

Just an FYI, for anyone that is a big Fern fan like myself, he plans to discontinue the scent. It will be gone for good, but who knows. B&M is strange with that sort of stuff. Here today, gone tomorrow, bringing it back yesterday.

I agree, i really love Passiflora and i hope it comes back but i'm not losing sleep over it or stockpile soaps. To be honest, the one soap he needs to strongly consider leaving in the regular lineup in Leviathan.
Leviathan has been cut ?

Leviathan hasn't been cut- it's a seasonal offering which is longer than these short runs of Passiflora and Paganini, for instance. Fern is getting cut. Could also be that he's working on other scents and he may not have the space and equipment to keep his regulars going on top of the seasonals and more limited runs. Hope he changes his mind with Passiflora because it is really good. Can't make everyone happy.

Leviathan hasn't been cut- it's a seasonal offering which is longer than these short runs of Passiflora and Paganini, for instance. Fern is getting cut. Could also be that he's working on other scents and he may not have the space and equipment to keep his regulars going on top of the seasonals and more limited runs. Hope he changes his mind with Passiflora because it is really good. Can't make everyone happy.
Thank you for clarifying. I am still fairly new to this artisanal landscape and I misinterpreted the following from BM:
"Leviathan is a seasonal scent for Autumn and will be discontinued on December 31st"

Leviathan was my first true venture and I have not been disappointed. This would easily be in my short list for an evening-out, no matter the season. I have a sample of Passiflora, but have not shaved it given how fruity the notes are to me; but I love PV.

I like to think I came in at the right time considering how highly I regard this Omnibus base.

In any business, especially a small business, cash flow is always crucial. A soapmaker has money tied up in supplies such as soap ingredients, fragrances, containers, labels, etc. There will also be money tied up in soaps being cured. Finally, there will be money tied up in finished soaps waiting on the shelf to be sold. While there is little that can be done to reduce some of the supply inventory costs, the faster soaps sell, the sooner the soapmaker has cash available to purchase additional supplies for the next batch. If the soaps are slow to sell, then the soaps may have to be sold at a reduced price which severely cuts into the producers profit margin. If a producer can sell products through their own web site and cut out stockists, profits will increase, although the producer now has to handle packaging and shipping, so there is a tradeoff. Some limited editions may be more expensive to produce than standard offerings, especially if the limited edition includes expensive fragrances. One tactic some soapmakers use to enhance their profits on expensive formulations is to offer them as limited editions only available on their web site or as an exclusive to a single stockist rather than making it generally available.

I could see doing this for testing the market to see how it does then if it does well make it a regular or seasonal product kind of like stirling does. To me though making limited editions with the intent of never returning just seems a little desperate.

I really don't understand the idea behind a limited edition. What if Passiflora and Pagganini's Voilin are very popular? Discontinuing them would mean ignoring demand from customers. As a business model this makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm actually quite annoyed by it. I like Passiflora, but I don't want to stockpile it, but if it's really a limited edition and it never comes back, then i guess that makes me an unhappy customer.

Someone please explain this nonsense.
Kinda sounds like the business model of Grooming Dept as usually most anything he releases is a one time thing!! You have to stockpile it if you ever want more. I thought B&M's limited editions were basically seasonal.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
@Eben Stone - you might want to read posts #3 and #7 here:

One reason to make limited editions might be to test the waters with a smaller batch and see if a product is popular enough to add to the regular line up. I don’t think any business person would not make what makes money, that is after all why they make soap.

Top Bottom