What's new

B&M Hallows vs Petrichor

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I am a huge fan of B&M Hallows' scent -- I know it's not for everyone, but I've REALLY enjoyed it. I also like scoopable soaps, and the Soft Heart base makes it easy to do that. B&M has recently released Petrichor in the Soft Heart base, and I'm wondering how it's scent compares to my all-time favorite, Hallows. Does anyone have experience with both, and could you highlight the scent differences? Or are you just a die-hard Petrichor fan, and thus could provide some insight about this scent and what you love about it?

They are very different, in my opinion. Hallows is my favorite also, but petrichor smells like the smell of grass or plants after rainfall. It’s ok, but nowhere near as good as. Hallows.

I'm a huge Petrichor fan, but have not used Hallows (I've got Fougere Gothique, which I think someone mentioned is a cousin to Hallows). Petrichor does not smell like grass after rainfall. It smells like you went into a forest after a rainfall, took a shovel and dug a hole in some loamy dirt - but in a good way. It's well balanced with an earthy base note, woody/oakmoss middle note and a top note that I would almost describe as spicy. I love it. I bought it on a whim when I first got into wet shaving in late 2019 and it's become one of my favorite soaps. I use it more than B&M Fern, another "green" scent.

Top Four B&M Soaps: Fougere Gothique, Petrichor, Seville, Cologne Russe

Last edited:
I'm a huge Petrichor fan, but have not used Hallows (I've got Fougere Gothique, which I think someone mentioned is a cousin to Hallows). Petrichor does not smell like grass after rainfall. It smells like you went into a forest after a rainfall, took a shovel and dug a hole in some loamy dirt - but in a good way. It's well balanced with an earthy base note, woody/oakmoss middle note and a top note that I would almost describe as spicy. I love it. I bought it on a whim when I first got into wet shaving in late 2019 and it's become one of my favorite soaps. I use it more than B&M Fern, another "green" scent.

Top Four B&M Soaps: Fougere Gothique, Petrichor, Seville, Cologne Russe
Sorry, not correct. It smells like wet grass and plants. It just finished raining here in Santaquin and I just came in from smelling the wet grass. It smells EXACTLY like Pertrichor.

I also smelled the wet loam outside in my garden, it smells just like Fougere Gothique.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I have had, and really love, both. Petrichor is reminiscent of playing outside after a summer rain storm - the damp, earthy, ozone smell is simply awesome. Combine that with the Soft Heart base? Yes please! And I agree that the scent is not wet grass; rather, it evokes the dampness of earth and ozone. That’s precisely why Will named it Petrichor.

Can anyone compare the scent of Petrichor to WK Tempest or Chiselled Face Summer Storm? Both smell like ozone and dirt to me.

Hallows is very chocolate scented IMO. Chocolate dirt... in a good way.

Maggard Razors has samples of Petrichor if you want to take it for a test drive. I own Petrichor in earlier soap bases, plus a couple other executions from that accord from other artisans. Glad I have it, but don't reach for it all the time.

Petrichor smells like the bag of wet potting soil you get at the gardening store. It doesn’t remind me of a storm or a beautiful forest. It’s not a charming, quaint dirt smell.

It’s not terrible. It’s alright

I am a huge fan of B&M Hallows' scent -- I know it's not for everyone, but I've REALLY enjoyed it. I also like scoopable soaps, and the Soft Heart base makes it easy to do that. B&M has recently released Petrichor in the Soft Heart base, and I'm wondering how it's scent compares to my all-time favorite, Hallows. Does anyone have experience with both, and could you highlight the scent differences? Or are you just a die-hard Petrichor fan, and thus could provide some insight about this scent and what you love about it?

hey @Flintstone65 !!!

vastly different but I love them both. the Petrichor smells like a dirty dusty breeze coming off an AG field after 2 weeks of no rain during a hot summer. maybe a little green and mystery smells peeking through barely.

Hallows........well, that one needs no introduction. pure awesomeness that should be produced year round with AS and EDT available too.

but then again, I'm a wierdo. I like Lyssa too!!!!

camo

Petrichor as a scent (generically) has been described as the smell of "rain on a hot rock in the Summertime." Sort of an ozone-y, electrical note behind it. That's pretty accurately descriptive to me, and I actually quite like it. Hallows is definitely an earthier, deeper note, even with chocolate, cinnamon-y spice tones. Both classics from B&M IMO.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Petrichor as a scent (generically) has been described as the smell of "rain on a hot rock in the Summertime." Sort of an ozone-y, electrical note behind it. That's pretty accurately descriptive to me, and I actually quite like it. Hallows is definitely an earthier, deeper note, even with chocolate, cinnamon-y spice tones. Both classics from B&M IMO.
‘Great noses smell alike.’:pipe:

Flintstone65

Thank you all -- every response has been helpful and I'm leaning towards giving it Petrichor a try. At least now I know not to expect Hallows (which I can't explain my undying love for and practical-addiction to), but rather I may discover a new scent that could be an additional fave. The only thing holding me back now is the practicality of purchasing another soap when I have so many on hand -- and yes, I know that argument is really a "paper tiger" in this room.

By the way, the folks who have described Hallows have done such an excellent job that I can't help but trust your descriptions of Petrichor. Thank you all again. I will most likely be returning here to deliver my assessment of Petrichor.

Thank you all -- every response has been helpful and I'm leaning towards giving it Petrichor a try. At least now I know not to expect Hallows (which I can't explain my undying love for and practical-addiction to), but rather I may discover a new scent that could be an additional fave. The only thing holding me back now is the practicality of purchasing another soap when I have so many on hand -- and yes, I know that argument is really a "paper tiger" in this room.

By the way, the folks who have described Hallows have done such an excellent job that I can't help but trust your descriptions of Petrichor. Thank you all again. I will most likely be returning here to deliver my assessment of Petrichor.

trust me my friend, I have one tub of Hallows vacu-sealed for future emergencies.

should be available year-round in my opinion.

camo

Flintstone65

I picked up Petrichor in both the shave soap/croap (Soft Heart base) and balm.....annnnnnnnd......I'm extremely upset with myself, with Will from B&M and with all of you (especially @Hannah's Dad and @camoloc)!!!! I honestly was hoping that best-case, I liked it okay, but would probably only use it a couple of times and then maybe sell it on, and that would be the end of me chasing after B&M soaps. Instead, I love it....and I mean I really LOVE it. The performance is great -- which didn't surprise me since I'm a HUGE fan of the Soft Heart base -- but the scent is (for me) just AWESOME!!!

So I have tried only 2 (count them, TWO) Barrister & Mann soaps, and both have become instant-favorites in my den. I think I'm going to start clearing out the stuff that's "perfectly fine, but can't (IMO) hold a candle" to these two soaps to make room for what will be the inevitable future purchases. I'm also going to try and avoid reading any posts from my shaving-Doppelgangers (@Hannah's Dad and @camoloc), in an effort to exercise a modicum of restraint for future purchases (yeah, right...who am I kidding?).

Okay....here is a picture of the first shave with my inaugural Petrichor shave....the razor is a Yankee lather catcher (which was clearly much used, if not loved) by it's previous owner(s). The razor came with it's original handle, but the one it has on it (courtesy of @camoloc) appears to be made for it (both in form and function). The overall shave was just spectacular.

proxy.php

All of my tongue-in-cheek kidding aside....thank you all for your help; and for those who enjoy Hallows, I think picking up Petrichor is a no-brainer. It is not Hallows, but I enjoy it *almost* as much. The scent is lighter and not as complex as Hallows, but like Hallows, the scent is difficult to describe (at least for me); but it fits right into my preferred-fragrance profile. Perhaps I could do a better job describing the scent after I use it some more, but honestly, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to truly be able to put it into words.

Top Bottom