What's new

B&M Cologne Russe, great lather strange scent

Picked this one up due to the SWMBO's fascination with Russia and the Romanov's. She loves it!

I am not sure if i do. I don't get the violet at all. The amber is nice and strong but but the petitgrain which i have never smelled before is..musky? the whole combination smells to me like a grandpas study. The soap is very harsh at first whiff. It mellows out in the shave and i got an excellent lather. The presentation is much nicer than my B&M soaps from 2015, which was the last time i stocked up on their soaps. I also got a full puck of their spice after loving a sample i got a while back. Both of these bases are excellent.

Pictures taken after shaving. Still had plenty of lather left over.
View attachment 862260
28342516_1871250172887592_1086149118_o.jpg
28461440_1871250206220922_208961785_o.jpg

I haven't tried a whole lot of the B&M scents, but cologne russe is one that I really like. I'm not great at picking out individual scent notes so I don't even try, but I think of this one as a spiced citrus with amber/floral and I think it works really well together. And it gets good longevity when layered with the matching AS.

I love this one, but it took me a bit to warm up to it. I thought it was odd when I first got it. That has happened with several B&M scents for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the scent was changed from the initial release, but all I ever got was a heavy cola note. Maybe Dr. Pepper.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I got the as and I never really warned up to it. I think I feel that way about most B&m stuff I have actually

I got the as and I never really warned up to it. I think I feel that way about most B&m stuff I have actually

Besides Cheshire, Spice, and Cool; I really feel the same way about most of the scents I've tried.

Smells like burned hair and Indian food in a dirty diaper lol no just kidding.

I pick up a violet floral with other notes mixed in, perhaps citrus background. Had a tub a while back but traded it. Still have a sample of the A/S but it is not one I use often since it is a strong floral.

"Great lather; Strange scent" would be a good tag line for several B&M scents to me. Some of those grew on me over time and I now enjoy them like Leviathan. Some I just really couldn't get into like Roam.

And while I still think one of the first, Seville, is my favorite to date, I do respect they're continuously trying something new.

I used Cologne Russe the other day ... and it's become one of the ones I love, but don't use all that often.

To me it's "heavy yet light" ... I get a woody scent ... cedar maybe? The faintest hit of leather. Lots of amber, a little bit of bergamot, touch of violet and definitely some rose. To me it's akin to Lavanille ... but where I didn't like that heavy, almost cloying vanilla of Lavanille, it's not here in the CR.

It's a "dense" scent ... no one note really dominates. It's a great winter/early spring scent to me. I wasn't sure of it the first time or two I used it ... but I do love it now

Other then the Reserve series I find the ones I have are too complex and a little off the wall for me, but performance is excellent. I have Le Grand Chypre and Lavanille.

Top Bottom