What's new

B&M 42

I've heard so much talk-up about Barrister & Mann 42, that I finally pulled the trigger and bought the soap and aftershave. I feel like I'm going to be thrown to the wolves in here for saying this, but I don't really care for it.

The smell is pleasing, but I find that none of it lingers. The aftershave has no punch, the soap performs GREAT, but nothing special under the nose.. it's faint, like a whisper. Carrying a scent all day is what I look forward to and this makes it feel like a wasted shave. Not interested in an EDT pairing either.

That being said, I am a huge fan of Leviathan and Arctique. Leviathan sticks to me like glue and I get great joy from the aftershave. Arctique is a blast too; any soaps and aftershaves that punish and punch my face are my jam.

Any suggestions on what I can trade my 42s for?

EDIT: I realize this should've been posted in shaves or aftershaves. My bad!

Last edited:
I've heard so much talk-up about Barrister & Mann 42, that I finally pulled the trigger and bought the soap and aftershave. I feel like I'm going to be thrown to the wolves in here for saying this, but I don't really care for it.

The smell is pleasing, but I find that none of it lingers. The aftershave has no punch, the soap performs GREAT, but nothing special under the nose.. it's faint, like a whisper. Carrying a scent all day is what I look forward to and this makes it feel like a wasted shave. Not interested in an EDT pairing either.

That being said, I am a huge fan of Leviathan and Arctique. Leviathan sticks to me like glue and I get great joy from the aftershave. Arctique is a blast too; any soaps and aftershaves that punish and punch my face are my jam.

Any suggestions on what I can trade my 42s for?

EDIT: I realize this should've been posted in shaves or aftershaves. My bad!
I love how Ghost Town Barber stays with me but you may mean another B&M. I have 1st Snow, Night music and Promises. I enjoy their performance but the scents aren't outstanding to me. I've never been big on getting samples but some soap makers that have unique scents require a sample pack to be sure before you drop some change on a set. Happy hunting :thumbsup:

I'm surprised! To my nose, 42 seems to stick a long time (at least the aftershave). I find the sweeter notes of the scent sticking around longer. I haven't tried Leviathan or Arctique, so not sure what to recommend.

If you want like longevity in an aftershave I would recommend PAA and Chatillon Lux aftershaves. PAA is a bit more alcohol forward. Both last a good 6 hours, which was s about the most you can expect from an aftershave.

I'll checkout Chatillion and PAA.. PAA seems hard to source in Canada though. Thanks for the reccomendation

EDIT: Italian Barber sells PAA :)

If you want like longevity in an aftershave I would recommend PAA and Chatillon Lux aftershaves. PAA is a bit more alcohol forward. Both last a good 6 hours, which was s about the most you can expect from an aftershave.

These are the two longevity kings in my den. PAA is more “splashy,” and the CL is more “balmy” (in face feel, not consistency). I haven’t tried 42, but both PAA and CL pack a much greater punch than my B&M splashes (including Roam).

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Many o b&m flavors are lost on me. Too complex and overwrought
I realized I'm not that sophisticated but never had a problem with longevity

Top Bottom