What's new

B&B's I Cycle, You Cycle, Let's Exchange Stories (aka B.I.C.Y.C.L.E.S.)

Went over to Wisconsin to try a new trail. I have the bike set up single speed with 30x17 gearing. This was a bit ambitious on my part since I ride only a couple times a month. It was still a blast but I'm pretty sore.
IMG_0694.JPG
IMG_0707.JPG
IMG_0708.JPG

Can't wrap my head around single speed! I have no idea how the guys with one gear got around the Whiskey Offroad 50 Proof course when I did it with SRAM Eagle on a rented Niner Jet 9 back in 2018.

Another ride at the WMA this morning. I tried to beat the rain, but got caught at mile 15 or so. Saw only 2 other gravel riders out there and three vehicles. I also saw another crawfish scooting across the road.

AD3A3BD7-7949-45CF-8283-00C07AC91FEB.jpeg1EA71644-CDD0-4DB5-9614-32DEFB028A39.jpegF89F967E-9904-4D51-89CB-517859FC4759.jpeg

Last edited:
20 plus miles in Portland neighborhoods today. I dropped the LOTH on the climb up Rocky Butte. Might have been a bad decision on my part, but she bailed back home before the hors catégorie section so I'm king of the mountains.
5F1350DA-BCBA-47DA-93FB-61AD370341F4.jpeg

Shortly after staying socially distanced from Paul in the Kenton neighborhood, my ride degenerated into a quest for lamp parts.

Beautiful day for a bike ride or, apparently, for standing in line. Every breakfast joint I passed had a queue. I suspect that leisurely weekend cafe breakfasts were what Portlanders missed the most during shutdown.

The local MTB park in Alva, FL, has reopened after a loooong rainy season. Humidity is lower and temps are in the mid 80s. Many people of all levels on the 11 miles of trail. Happy to be back, but looking forward to trips to Santos and Alafia this winter.

Gearing up for another attempt at a full Lake Okeechobee Scenic Trail ride (112 miles?). Outfitting the Roubaix with 28mm Continental Gator Hardshell Duraskin tires. I needed to find 700x28-32 tubes. The internet seemed to be out of stock last evening, but my LBS actually had three in the store. Picked them up tonight. I think I might like to get another. Other than that, I need food and beverage and some luck with the weather. I have been informed that I will not be doing it this weekend due to visiting family (and the last of hurricane season), so I want to try it Halloween weekend. It should be a bit cooler than Independence Day when I rode about 45 miles out there. This will be my longest ride ever, by about 5 miles. Photos to come!

I'm getting ready for some cold-weather biking and am looking for a warm face cover/wind shield. Do you just wear a ski mask, or are there options specifically for cyclists? Any suggestions?

I'm getting ready for some cold-weather biking and am looking for a warm face cover/wind shield. Do you just wear a ski mask, or are there options specifically for cyclists? Any suggestions?
I use a hinged balaclava. My windproof ones are too stiff for skiing, but perfect for the bike. One is partially windproofed, the other fully windproofed and a little harder to don.

The brand is Chaos. I got them on that brazilian river website a few years back. They make a lot of different hinged balaclavas. Windproof may be overkill if you stay above freezing and don’t bike in higher winds.

Half century in light SE wind and 75-80 degrees just after sunrise this morning. Surf this week and I hope the rain clears out and we get a bit of a cold front on the back side of Zeta for Saturday morning.

I started late at 8:55 am at Alvin Ward Park at the Moore Haven Lock. Lake Okeechobee water was being sent down the Caloosahatchee to the detriment of the Gulf of Mexico in SWFL. The initial portion of the trail is still closed due to construction, as is much of the trail. The first point I was able to access the Herbert Hoover Dike back in July, on the south side of Lakeport, was closed to construction. Yeah, the ACOE's map is not accurate. Back on the road. In Lakeport proper I was able to get up onto double track. It is such a slow go due to rocks, ruts, and tallish grass. After crossing the Kissimmee River, the trail was paved until I was forced back down to the road at Taylor Creek. The Taylor Creek Condos won't let you you back up on the dike, however! I went several miles on the road to the second access point to more paved trail miles on the dike. There were some large gators on the way down to Port Myaka! I made three stops for food and water, the last in Pahokee, 47 miles from the finish, after slogging through wet gravel and stone. I couldn't ride the much photographed bridge in Lake Harbor over the Miami Canal due to construction. I never would have finished if it hadn't been overcast nearly all day, with temps near 90. I would not recommend the full loop to anyone until construction is finished. The 112 mile loop becomes 123.5 miles, with much of it on the shoulder of two or four lane divided highway next to fast moving traffic. Not very scenic. The last 50 miles were done on the road. I got back to the parking lot at 7:06 pm. It was just me and a bajillion mosquitos as I loaded the car.

The Roubaix did great. The Gator Hardshells performed great. Never flatted and not a single cut. I still haven't worn the molding line on the front tire. The bike has been washed, but today is a rest day!

I started late at 8:55 am at Alvin Ward Park at the Moore Haven Lock. Lake Okeechobee water was being sent down the Caloosahatchee to the detriment of the Gulf of Mexico in SWFL. The initial portion of the trail is still closed due to construction, as is much of the trail. The first point I was able to access the Herbert Hoover Dike back in July, on the south side of Lakeport, was closed to construction. Yeah, the ACOE's map is not accurate. Back on the road. In Lakeport proper I was able to get up onto double track. It is such a slow go due to rocks, ruts, and tallish grass. After crossing the Kissimmee River, the trail was paved until I was forced back down to the road at Taylor Creek. The Taylor Creek Condos won't let you you back up on the dike, however! I went several miles on the road to the second access point to more paved trail miles on the dike. There were some large gators on the way down to Port Myaka! I made three stops for food and water, the last in Pahokee, 47 miles from the finish, after slogging through wet gravel and stone. I couldn't ride the much photographed bridge in Lake Harbor over the Miami Canal due to construction. I never would have finished if it hadn't been overcast nearly all day, with temps near 90. I would not recommend the full loop to anyone until construction is finished. The 112 mile loop becomes 123.5 miles, with much of it on the shoulder of two or four lane divided highway next to fast moving traffic. Not very scenic. The last 50 miles were done on the road. I got back to the parking lot at 7:06 pm. It was just me and a bajillion mosquitos as I loaded the car.

The Roubaix did great. The Gator Hardshells performed great. Never flatted and not a single cut. I still haven't worn the molding line on the front tire. The bike has been washed, but today is a rest day!

Quite the day! Sounds like you and the gear were completely together, even if the trail and map were not entirely there.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I put the trainer wheel/tire on the bike a 2 weeks ago but haven't been able to drag myself down to the basement to actually do a ride. I should, but I hate every second on that thing.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
@Tanuki No kidding. I know people who do hundreds of miles a month on Zwift. I get the controlled training aspect of it, but I just can't get into it. I'm also not going to spring for a smart trainer so I'm somewhat limited by my setup.

Low 50's with a stout north wind on the 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring. All that was fine until it unexpectedly started raining sideways. I had to ride about a mile in it until I could get under a covered pavilion at some baseball fields and wait it out. Only got in 17 miles because I didn't want to get caught in another storm. Still better than sitting on the couch!

proxy.php

Getting off the road a bit and onto a trail.
proxy.php

Waiting out the pop-up storm
proxy.php

Even this little protected cove was whitecapping.

Top Bottom