What's new

B&B's I Cycle, You Cycle, Let's Exchange Stories (aka B.I.C.Y.C.L.E.S.)

Rode from Cape Coral to Bonita Springs on a beautiful Florida morning. Business as usual: pleasure boats streaming to the mouth of the Caloosahatchee, golfers on the greens at The Landings, alligator and anhinga watchers in Lakes Park, traffic on US 41 S. Many folks walking the improved Bonita area on Old 41. Would have picked up some tacos and a Modelo, but I have a 4 year old’s birthday party to attend.
F3165A66-7966-4B0D-AFAD-4EED91D83CBD.jpeg45779A2B-9422-4CA6-9B3E-D65F8113C1F4.jpegD2E21577-D6D9-4FDA-9163-4E6D5F72A315.jpegF84E20CB-07CB-4791-9AD8-A7DB5B4437D6.jpeg

Nice ride! But do the gators and anhinga watch each other? We just have garden variety cormorants out here. They are on their own in the rain today, I’m not riding.

Nice ride! But do the gators and anhinga watch each other? We just have garden variety cormorants out here. They are on their own in the rain today, I’m not riding.
The gator was on the other side of the path and a handful of people were taking his photo, so I captured the anhinga. I’m sure they know where the other is hanging out! It was just over 26 miles down, but I went another 4 miles around the parks on the Imperial River.

7C269464-737B-4165-88D5-38289D75F8BF.jpeg0AB381D4-B8C8-4F57-8761-2E4A60719621.jpegB11B63D1-FA1A-4A07-9A24-DDA6AC6B2733.jpeg4F6932BF-80C7-4C56-943C-3FFDFAEBA22B.jpegA1A62AC1-2B09-4293-AE14-2FFE072EA95B.jpeg
7EF14A28-5E39-49B5-B528-C54FBA8F7A2C.jpeg
Took the Jeep down to Pepper Ranch Preserve in Immokalee this morning as Caloosahatchee Regional Park in Alva is too wet. I saw otters in a canal on Pepper Road, and red shouldered hawks, turkey vultures, Sandhill cranes, and cows in the shade of palm trees, in the preserve. I didn’t see another animal whose footsteps I could hear off the singletrack. There is a 3 mile ride on a gravel road from the campground to and from the 6+ miles of MTB trails. You can park at the trails, but I like the extra miles. Stopped at Fort Myers Brewing by RSW on the way home for refueling.

Last edited:
Looks like a great ride!

That would describe Portland, Oregon this June perfectly.

Here is the summary:
WEATHER ITEM, this year, normal year, last year
PRECIPITATION (INCHES)
MONTH TO DATE…2.40…………0.87…………0.16

I’m still shopping and running errands by bike. I won’t take the diva bikes out in this weather.

Last edited:
Since Cristobal, it seems we’ve been getting 1” a day! Alva has had 5.07” of rain in June, while Pepper Ranch has had 2.65”. One weather station in Cape Coral is at just under 8” for the month. Ran into torrential rain on the way home today.

Last edited:
C0F94F1A-519B-4A93-9EFC-31D3B0297D3F.jpeg46B7938D-0340-4854-8C4F-76B0ED88980A.jpegAA6067DA-55F8-494A-9B31-0EC4E73D1940.png
Out N River Road to Alva for some mtb riding today! It’s a favorite road for motorcyclists on Sunday am. Hotter than Hades at 93 degrees, but I fared so much better without a hydration pack on my back. Refueled at the Alva Country Diner. I can’t remember being able to ride this late in June as it has been dry the last week. My last ride last year was in late May.

Somebody must have been upset by the black panther surprise. He was in his spot, but his tail and a front leg are broken. :-(

There is a parkway that runs through the middle of my suburban city. When it was built, a berm was constructed on either side. It has created a fun MTB workout for when I can't drive out to Alva. Volunteers are also planting trees on the flat to the inside of the berm, creating some fun, shaded riding between Bald Cypress and Slash Pines. The carpet between the pines is of fallen needles. You can climb and descend the berm as many times as you want, or you can stay on the paved multi use path. Some of the climbs are pretty steep and challenging! I hope that there will be an established trail one day. The only drawback is the multitude of sandspurs, but they can be avoided. If more people rode an established track, it would no longer be an issue. Hot ride today at 92 degrees. This was a 13 mile, sweat soaked workout!
DD5CD4FC-281B-4665-B7FC-E3DB6BFD9954.jpeg

Last edited:
Headed out to Lake Okeechobee for a little bigger ride this Fourth. Took the Roubaix and regretted not addressing the rear tire about 24 miles in. Blew a tube out the sidewall on some unpaved double track. I replaced the tube and road back on road and paved path on the Hoover Dike. 46+ miles from Moore Haven, past Lakeport and back. Refueling with BBQ!
37218240-CAA3-409C-843F-318ED14B7F00.png0DCB9731-2212-4865-A7F3-239DEA3655CC.jpeg7F2A83D2-8A88-4A51-9F9D-0694173A4B31.jpeg23216792-7025-47E5-8E9D-9C15410C33B9.jpegE00D0A54-B33B-42FF-AA8C-6B69436DEF03.jpegC2424558-8E0E-4724-8221-35F26C05DCD6.jpeg65C9DAF8-40EB-44AC-B139-2D83982ACFDE.jpeg6626D81B-47CF-4E23-9FDF-94D50392FB18.jpeg
Beat the first shower! Quads were cramping on the final climb back over the dike!

Headed out to Lake Okeechobee for a little bigger ride this Fourth. Took the Roubaix and regretted not addressing the rear tire about 24 miles in. Blew a tube out the sidewall on some unpaved double track. I replaced the tube and road back on road and paved path on the Hoover Dike. 46+ miles from Moore Haven, past Lakeport and back. Refueling with BBQ!
View attachment 1121690View attachment 1121693View attachment 1121694View attachment 1121695View attachment 1121696View attachment 1121699View attachment 1121700View attachment 1121701
Beat the first shower! Quads were cramping on the final climb back over the dike!

And here I thought it was only my oldest son who rides on ventilated tires. In his case, the contact patch itself. My youngest son simply doesn't keep his tires inflated. That way he doesn't have to wait around for tire wear to enjoy a nice blowout.

The LOTH? I'm both her bike mechanic and service station attendant. Check the tires, ma'am?

Are those cobbles? Getting ready for the first FL cobbled classic?

C09F4351-1BAC-4848-B455-FB4DD1C0E2BA.jpeg

I need to get more miles in to work off my COVID gut, but in the meantime, I’m working on my mongrels gut! She now runs two miles a day!!

And here I thought it was only my oldest son who rides on ventilated tires. In his case, the contact patch itself. My youngest son simply doesn't keep his tires inflated. That way he doesn't have to wait around for tire wear to enjoy a nice blowout.

The LOTH? I'm both her bike mechanic and service station attendant. Check the tires, ma'am?

Are those cobbles? Getting ready for the first FL cobbled classic?
I was definitely thinking Paris-Roubaix up there! I think the bike and tires would have held up fine had I changed that rear tire. It is a bit bumpy on some of the unpaved dike, but other unpaved sections roll well. Gonna wait for them to close the gaps a little before attempting that cobbled section! Lots of work being done on the dike. The US Army Corps of Engineers map doesn’t accurately reflect open/closed sections, nor does it show a nicely paved section south of Lakeport. I couldn’t get on the dike in Moore Haven. Security was posted. It was probably a good thing, as I might have flatted in the first hour.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Hey B&B bikers! I had the most excellent ride yesterday, so feel motivated to share. I've been away from mountain biking for a few months due to various life situations and recently jumped back into it. I mean, hard to get more socially distant than the middle of the forest on a bike trail, right? Anyway, yesterday I rode at Fountainhead. Its a beautiful park here in Northern Virginia, adjacent to the Occoquan Reservoir. The trail is one of the harder ones in this part of the state. Okay, probably THE hardest east of the Piedmont. The "green" trail (you know, for beginners - wink, wink) is a two mile rollercoaster that chewed me up and spit me out. But it sure was fun. And the scenery is incredible. I pulled a muscle, but still loved every minute of it. I'll need to get in better shape before I head back. Hmm, next time I should take pictures. Hope you all are getting in some great rides this summer!

Hey B&B bikers! I had the most excellent ride yesterday, so feel motivated to share. I've been away from mountain biking for a few months due to various life situations and recently jumped back into it. I mean, hard to get more socially distant than the middle of the forest on a bike trail, right? Anyway, yesterday I rode at Fountainhead. Its a beautiful park here in Northern Virginia, adjacent to the Occoquan Reservoir. The trail is one of the harder ones in this part of the state. Okay, probably THE hardest east of the Piedmont. The "green" trail (you know, for beginners - wink, wink) is a two mile rollercoaster that chewed me up and spit me out. But it sure was fun. And the scenery is incredible. I pulled a muscle, but still loved every minute of it. I'll need to get in better shape before I head back. Hmm, next time I should take pictures. Hope you all are getting in some great rides this summer!

It sounds like you had a nice ride, aside from the being out of shape and the pulled muscle! I did get out on my road bike this morning for a short 15 miler. I hope it was cooler in Northern Virginia than it was here in St. Louis this morning. When I set off on my ride at 8am, it was 80 degrees, 95% humidity with a dew point of 73. That is some bad hot air, but I LOVE Summer, no matter the weather!

Something different for me...

In 2006 ago a local golf course went under. The entrance is just over a mile from my house. Several years ago, my wife and I rode through it on the cart paths, but I hadn't been back until last night. After the rain, it was about 75 degrees at sunset. I was going to do a quick 4 mile ride around the perimeter of the course, but as I approached the old entrance, I decided ride all of the existing cart path on my old (2012) aluminum hard tail. What a fun ride! I passed a couple of kids with their dad at one of the water hazards. Can't believe he let them swim in it with the gator hazard! I also passed a homeless tent tucked under an old banyon tree. A little farther on the ride, a juvenile coyote jumped out on the path and ran ahead of me for about 30 yards.

This property needs to be preserved as a park! So much potential for outdoor recreation. It was a bit spooky, but I wound up with 8 miles of riding in a close spot.

A2878EDF-D1EB-4794-9C07-3A54E3119861.jpeg9470AD8A-E934-46DF-972C-32D10B4FA866.jpeg
A developer holds the property and wants $10 million for it. The city will pay no more than $2 million for it. Five years ago it was assessed for less than $700,000, and the city collected less than $5,000 in taxes. Why do I think 400 homes will eventually go in here?

Last edited:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
@FL shaver We had a local 36 hole course who's owners retired. The original plan was to develop the property into X hundred residences but the county, or the township said it would strain the schools and infrastructure. Instead a portion along the main thoroughfare is being developed for retail and the rest was sold to the county park system for green space. 👍

Top Bottom