What's new

B&B Radio's Pre-Shave Product discussion

Please see below for how you can get involved in our next episode

Pre-Shave products. Do you use them, are they fact, fiction,or just marketing hype. Give us your opinion, including what products you use by responding to this thread. You comments may be read on air during our episode.

Thanks for listening and giving us your opinions.

*Please* TOU rules apply in your comments.

THANK YOU!

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm pre-shave products.

My honest opinion they are hype! Sorry Chris (cblindsay), in my experience the only time to use a pre-shave is if you did not just step out of the shower. Otherwise the only pre-shave I need is a nice warm shower. I have used oils, proraso pre, noexzema, and Chris' homemade pre-shave soap, while they are all nice products I don't think any of them increase the shave performance.

You really think pre-shave products are bunk Chad? Next you are going to tell me that turning the faucet on and off three times between passes doesn't reduce irritation! Come On, you know pre-shave soap is just another way to enjoy a delicious scent while adding a little extra opportunity for beard softening and slip for that first pass. Besides, I just bought a lifetime supply of Musgo from my Canadian underground supplier ..it BETTER make a difference. I keep my homemade soaps in the shower and use them to wash my face, sort of a pre-pre-shave and use the good stuff at the sink.

The truth is, I think anything we do as a pre-shave ritual is beneficial to some degree as long as it makes us happy. I personally find better results if I stick to a pre-shave soap or just a bit of conditioner left on my face after the shower versus a thicker pre-shave oil. If I am going to use an oil I want it to be light and quick absorbing ...and I'll use it at night as after washing my face or after shaving if my face is dry.

For what its worth I still think the best pre-shave you can use is a puck of Williams. Rub it on your face and work up a lather with your hands, rinse lightly then face lather your favorite soap. Williams may be hard for some people to lather but it really does soften beards well and it sure is slicker than snot.

I don't if a pre shave itself necessarily helps the shave, but what you wash your face with as a pre shave certainly matters. If I use any type of bar soap I'll end up with a razor that will not glide as smooth and thus have a drier feeling face afterward. I found a nice green tea wash at Dollar Tree a long time ago, and since I can use it with no issue, I just remain in the habit.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I've used 2-3 different shave oils as prep, but they didn't seem to do anything that wasn't there with a simple good lather. Likewise, I've also use Floid Sandolor pre-shave gel. Smelled GREAT, but once again, didn't improve the shave itself.

My pre-shave treatment is now simply making sure that I have a good clean and wet face, usually via my morning shower.

Also in a warped sense of Humor anyone who comments will be entered into a PIF to win a pre-shave product, LOL

I've used pre-shave oil for a while (mine and suavecito) I like them fine, but I don't think they do a ton. On CBLindsay's recommendation, I used Williams last night. It actually felt great and may have helped a bit!

I don't think pre-shave is the difference maker in every shave, but I like it!

You really think pre-shave products are bunk Chad? Next you are going to tell me that turning the faucet on and off three times between passes doesn't reduce irritation! Come On, you know pre-shave soap is just another way to enjoy a delicious scent while adding a little extra opportunity for beard softening and slip for that first pass. Besides, I just bought a lifetime supply of Musgo from my Canadian underground supplier ..it BETTER make a difference. I keep my homemade soaps in the shower and use them to wash my face, sort of a pre-pre-shave and use the good stuff at the sink.

The truth is, I think anything we do as a pre-shave ritual is beneficial to some degree as long as it makes us happy. I personally find better results if I stick to a pre-shave soap or just a bit of conditioner left on my face after the shower versus a thicker pre-shave oil. If I am going to use an oil I want it to be light and quick absorbing ...and I'll use it at night as after washing my face or after shaving if my face is dry.

For what its worth I still think the best pre-shave you can use is a puck of Williams. Rub it on your face and work up a lather with your hands, rinse lightly then face lather your favorite soap. Williams may be hard for some people to lather but it really does soften beards well and it sure is slicker than snot.

You know what I do agree that any type of cleaning agent (soap) that you apply to your face and wash away can only help the shave it is clearly not going to hurt the shave. I also really enjoy the soap that you made and sent me. I also use a nivea bar in the shower to on my face so technically it is a pre-shave. But I will go to my shaving grave with the notion that shave oil adds nothing to the shave. I also believe that the proraso and noexzema preshave products adds nothing as well. IF I am going to use a pre-shave it will be a soap, but I don't always find it necessary to use another bar at the sink when 5 minutes before that I used my Nivea bar in the shower.

1. What is your pre-shave face prep Shower and letting lather sit on face.
  2. Do you think pre-shave products are Fact, Fiction, or Marketing hype They work, but they just cover up for poor lather imo. It's all about getting those whiskers hydrated.
  3. What pre-shave product do you use (no brands, just the type) whether it be a gel, cream, oil, soap or other product specifically or not specifically designed as a pre-shave i.e Noxzema Water

OK, typically waffling all over the board reply by me.

I tend to use of a facial cream like Noxema or dollar store brand clone for pre-shave when I do not shower prior to a shave. My usual routine is to shower though. On a Saturday or Sunday with some extra time - I will use it, or if face feels beat-up, so I must put some stock into the benefits of it to soften up the whiskers a bit more.

I have also used [MENTION=103898]CBLindsay[/MENTION] Lavender/Rosemary/menthol pre-shave and it is a nice gentle face wash - rather than using Ivory bath soap on my face. Again - no consistency to using it, so do not know if it was helpful.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Musgo Glyce pre-shave soap today - but IB did not have the Lime Citrus Spice I was looking for. Then in typical ADD fashion I ended up on Maggards site and bought a brush and soap there, but no pre-shave.

If it works for you and your face use it. That is the beauty of this pursuit of shaving - some people cold-water shave, some prep and pamper themselves with moistened hot towels and pre-shaves, others do nothing more than use canned foam. I have not been using it lately and think that I am getting great irritation free shaves due to the coticule edge on the straight and some better stropping techniques. A high quality lather is probably the biggest contributor along with a sharp non-tugging blade.

Thanks Dave for asking for input!

Never saw the need to put anything between skin and lather. Shower, hot towel or water splashed on face and slick lather is all I've used over 30 years.

Okay, here goes my Brother:

I have found that using a preshave varies in effectiveness based in the blade I am using more than anything else. When I am using a Feather AC Professional Blade in one of my Feather Artist Club Razors, I find that the use of TAOS Lavender Preshave Oil does indeed helps with the post shave feel of my face. Also, for my DE Shaves with a Feather SS Blade I find that it does nearly nothing to help with anything but Noxzema Classic Face wash Does help for a smoother glide to the blade. When it comes to my Straights which have all now been honed on a coticule regimen, a good shower and allowing some hair conditioner to sit on my face before washing it and hot cloth prep is all I need provided I get my lather done right, (Which now I usually do).

So I would have to say that Pre Shave products do indeed have a place, but with each face that place is going to be a bit different. For my specific needs the above holds true and has been tested with and without a pre shave product.

Just my Two Cents and as stated, everyone will likely have different results with this which is what makes the world of wet shaving so much fun:thumbup:

Officially I agree with the "Marketing Hype" broad brush, most pre-shave products are unnecessary. I will also say without waffle, by adding a Musgo Face lathering to my "pre-shave" ritual (just before turning the faucet on and off 3 times ...joking, sort of) I have had improved shave quality. I find this amazing because I rarely shave without a shower first and always lather up my face with some sort of soap in the shower and shave within several minutes of showering. I strongly suspect I would have the same improvement if I lathered and left lather on my face for a few minutes like I do with the Musgo but I have enjoyed the scent of the Musgo Oakmoss sample Dave sent me so much, I haven't tried. So I am back to the "I use it because it smells good"

I agree with Pete, a pre-shave soap (as in, a soap used before shaving) is better than most everything else in my experience. I never thought about it but what [MENTION=76298]Cash_Stronomer[/MENTION] said about using the wrong soap resulting in a poor glide makes a lot of sense ...just lucky I haven't grabbed the wrong bar yet.

FWIW I have tried Florida Water as a pre-shave, it says on the website it is supposed to be great for such a thing. It didn't hurt but I don't think it improved anything either.

Well I have my thought, of which you know on the subject, but I will keep quiet on that until the show, thanks for contributing to this discussion

Probably more hype than help for most shavers. I think a good hot towel or a shower before shaving does more to hydrate whiskers and prepare the skin than any gel, cream or oil can do in 15 seconds. But that being said on many an occasion I have used pre-shave oils from main line manufacturers, boutique oil blenders and home brew. All worked about the same. I find them helpful when I am not showering before a shave to keep things nice and smooth. Definitely not an every day shave ritual item for me. My shave has evolved but at its core hasn't changed much over the past 35 years; shower, shave, styptic if needed, apply aftershave.... get on with the day!

I thought they were complete hype for quite a while, but broke down and tried a couple recently. I've used one oil(never again), and currently use a pre-shave soap(Ach Brito glyce lime). I have noticed a difference between when I use it and when I don't, and since the bar I have looks like it will last me quite some time, it is worth it to me to always keep one on hand.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
1. A nice warm shower is my best preshave.
2. I think preshave has a place depending on what hair/skin type you have. I get dry in the winter so that may be a good opportunity to use a pre-shave oil.
3. I don't currently use a pre shave product.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I dont use them, but in my typical fashion, I have to say they are ALL THREE. Hype, fact and fiction. Most folks don't really need them. A lot of folks misuse them. Some folks actually use them as they were intended.
If you use them as an extra layer of slickness, you are misusing them. My friend Kevin uses his as intended, as a skin conditioner, and says it makes a definite difference.
Personally, I think that a good pre-shave prep is all that is needed for MOST folks. I also think a lot of us use it as a crutch to make up for mediocre technique.
Pre-shave Prep. Preshave Prep. Pre-shave Prep.

Top Bottom