What's new

B&B Mamma Bear Cologne!!

Mama Sue,
I may be in the minority, but I like alcohol free aftershaves. If you call it an "Aftershave Balm", then everyone will expect it to be alcohol free.:wink:

I'm also an alcohol free AS lover--I do have a few with alcohol and find that I don't reach for them nearly as often--they're nice in warmer weather once in a while, but I'm just not a fan in general.

Sorry.

Kyle said:
Mama Sue,
I may be in the minority, but I like alcohol free aftershaves. If you call it an "Aftershave Balm", then everyone will expect it to be alcohol free.:wink:
I don't think you are in a minority at all. I think that the rush to alcohol-based (read aftershave splashes) is because of their purported ability to reduce or eliminate ingrowns (psuedofolliculitis barberi?). If that was the case, then when I was young and less knowledgeable (while it's difficult to believe that one could be less knowledgeable) I would not have suffered ingrowns because I used aftershave splashes exclusively. I can attest that I did have ingrowns, especially on my neck. They were painful and recuring. I was using an injector at the time (* chuckle *) and could find no real relief other than to shave less closely on the neck in particular. Perhaps it was the wrong kind of alcohol? Maybe I should have tried Wild Turkey and then I would not have cared?:001_smile

TraderJoe said:
For me, I have discovered that alcohol-based Aftershaves do in fact work very well. It seems that if an A.S. has the alcohol, in addition to some menthol, maybe some witch-hazel, and some aloe vera, it will work well. The new Musgo formulation comes to mind, but Aqua Velva is great too. The secret ingredient, however, is glycerin.

Wow. I have never heard of glycerin in aftershave! What an intriguing idea!
This could be done easily... what does the glycerin do for you??

Bear Hugs!!

Sue

Mama Bear said:
Wow. I have never heard of glycerin in aftershave! What an intriguing idea!
This could be done easily... what does the glycerin do for you??

Bear Hugs!!

Sue

Yes, I never realized it until I started reading labels, but glycerin is in both Aqua Velva and Musgo (my two favorite aftershaves). The glycerin helps to draw moisture to the skin and leaves it very soft and supple. It makes my skin feel "new."

Kyle said:
Mama Sue,

Hi Kyle! Does aftershave balm have to be a lotion? When I use the last batch that I made on my skin it leaves it feeling like I used a lotion, but it is not lotion...... it has an aweful lot of really high end lotion additives in it tho.!

Thanks!

Sue

TraderJoe said:
Yes, I never realized it until I started reading labels, but glycerin is in both Aqua Velva and Musgo (my two favorite aftershaves). The glycerin helps to draw moisture to the skin and leaves it very soft and supple. It makes my skin feel "new."

I have added aloe butter to my blend, but I wonder if the glycerin wouldn't work even better..... this is a fabulous piece of information honey, but you have sent me back to the kitchen with my mad scientist hat on.... ;-) Arghhh... tomorrow! it is my birthday today!! lol

I am wondering if I should not offer 2 types...... double aaarrrggghhh....lol

Does everyone use a moisturizer afterwards??

Thanks!!

Sue (Mama Bear)

Mama Bear said:
I have added aloe butter to my blend, but I wonder if the glycerin wouldn't work even better..... this is a fabulous piece of information honey, but you have sent me back to the kitchen with my mad scientist hat on.... ;-) Arghhh... tomorrow! it is my birthday today!! lol

I am wondering if I should not offer 2 types...... double aaarrrggghhh....lol

Does everyone use a moisturizer afterwards??

Thanks!!

Sue (Mama Bear)

First and foremost, Happy Birthday:001_smile

I personally don't NEED a moisturizer, so I don't apply it. In fact, on my face the less I use the better. When I start loading products on, I tend to get some pimples here and there. I think that's also why my face likes the Aftershave splash. As far as the "splash" versions, the ones without glycerin (pinaud, Royall, etc.) tend to dry my face out, which also causes probelms.

I believe that some people do layer, and especially in the winter months.

TraderJoe said:
First and foremost, Happy Birthday:001_smile

I personally don't NEED a moisturizer, so I don't apply it. In fact, on my face the less I use the better. When I start loading products on, I tend to get some pimples here and there. I think that's also why my face likes the Aftershave splash. As far as the "splash" versions, the ones without glycerin (pinaud, Royall, etc.) tend to dry my face out, which also causes probelms.

I believe that some people do layer, and especially in the winter months.

I had given a lot of thought towards 2 lines. One called Winter (balm??) that would have the heavier moisturizers in it, be alcohol free and alleviate the need for 'layering'. AND one called Summer, that would be alcohol based splash (with glycerin ;-)). They could have the same scents....

How does this strike you?

Something tells me today is going to be a beautiful day... ! :001_smile

Bear Hugs!

Mama Bear said:
I had given a lot of thought towards 2 lines. One called Winter (balm??) that would have the heavier moisturizers in it, be alcohol free and alleviate the need for 'layering'. AND one called Summer, that would be alcohol based splash (with glycerin ;-)). They could have the same scents....

How does this strike you?

Something tells me today is going to be a beautiful day... ! :001_smile

Bear Hugs!

sounds great!

Mama Bear said:
Hi Kyle! Does aftershave balm have to be a lotion? When I use the last batch that I made on my skin it leaves it feeling like I used a lotion, but it is not lotion...... it has an aweful lot of really high end lotion additives in it tho.!

Thanks!

Sue
Honestly, I'm not sure. I would bet that Ron (guenron) could provide you with some very accurate info on the topic.

The alcool based products help me trremendously with ingrown hairs. I use Tend Skin....the strongest of the bunch.

I do like Aqua Velva......really underated. I put it in an atomizer and spritz it on.

For us oily types.....I dont need a moisturizer but rather have a razr burn fighter and anything with SPF is a bonus.

More! More! :w00t: :w00t: This is so helpful!! This will help me give you something that you want too!!

I am off to the postoffice to ship the last of the orders... Everything will have gone out as of today.... Then, I am going for my birthday ride...

Bear Hugs to all and will be back soon...

Mama Bear

I'm a fan of no to low alcohol ***. I've only had one ingrown in my life, so the alcohol doesn't help me there.

I really like the idea of Summer and Winter AS blends--very smart.

As for my ideal after shave--as that seems to be where this thread is now headed!:biggrin: . . .

•no alcohol
•nice scent, but not long lasting
•some SPF, esp. for the Summer, but probably good for Winter too (being a lazy sort of guy, this would simply save me a step, one that I ofetn skip to my wife's chagrin:redface: )
•perhaps a bit of "cooling" effect for the Summer blend
•consistency of milk, but absorbs quickly and completely with no greasy feeling on the skin

There--that should be. . .

I'll see your glycerin and raise you a guar gum...

For some folks, including me, the glycerin/guar gum combo is the business. Trumper's Skin Food contains this combo, as does the lowly but tremendously effective Corn Husker's Lotion. Both of these products have a distinctive moisturizing PLUS sealing effect. It's hard to describe the "sealing" exactly; it's not sticky nor greasy at all, but it seems to give a nice finish to the skin.

I've also been playing around lately with a homespun blend of Corn Husker's, Aloe gel, and Witch Hazel. I'm still on the fence as to whether that provides any better results than straight Corn Husker's.

I usually get my fragrance from cologne, so a neutral scent for the after-shave balm is preferable. I doubt I would buy several different scented a/s lotions -- maybe if I had a faraway favorite scent or two I'd splurge, but otherwise I want something that won't interfere with my colognes.

Regards,
Doug

DEF said:
I'll see your glycerin and raise you a guar gum...

For some folks, including me, the glycerin/guar gum combo is the business. Trumper's Skin Food contains this combo, as does the lowly but tremendously effective Corn Husker's Lotion. Both of these products have a distinctive moisturizing PLUS sealing effect. It's hard to describe the "sealing" exactly; it's not sticky nor greasy at all, but it seems to give a nice finish to the skin.

I've also been playing around lately with a homespun blend of Corn Husker's, Aloe gel, and Witch Hazel. I'm still on the fence as to whether that provides any better results than straight Corn Husker's.

I usually get my fragrance from cologne, so a neutral scent for the after-shave balm is preferable. I doubt I would buy several different scented a/s lotions -- maybe if I had a faraway favorite scent or two I'd splurge, but otherwise I want something that won't interfere with my colognes.

Regards,
Doug

I agree with Doug on this one. I personally love the scent and performance of Trumper's Rose Skin Food, but I cannot use it because of the menthol content! So, I am currently using Nancy Boy A/S Balm which is a glycerin based balm, contains a small amount of alcohol [which I don't particularly care for] and does not have the guar gum, but does contain peppermint for that "cooling effect." I also have the Corn Husker's Lotion and use it on occasion and agree that it works well.

I personally have found that I have a real sensitivity to any shaving product with menthol. I love the cooling effect however and was delighted to find some creams and balms that used peppermint instead of menthol, which causes NO irritation. Menthol is a synthetic and peppermint is natural, so I've been told; I'm by no means an expert on this kind of stuff.

An A/S balm similar to Trumper's, Nancy Boy or Corn Husker's, which all have somewhat of a gel consistency due to the glycerin base, but with the "cooling" effect of peppermint makes a nice "all-around" balm, for me at least. For sure, a product that does not leave one's face with that "greasy" feel. Additional scents would be a nice plus.

I have materials I needed for the recipe ordered and am I waiting on delivery. I will have colognes next week for sure. They do need time to sit and blend tho...

Then it is on to aftershaves which I am still struggling with. Tell me more about witch hazel and aloe that you gents all use.. is this an aftershave?? Something about the way it sounds gives me an awefully nice and soothing idea in my head, but I am not sure what you are using it for. This is actually made with an aloe gel instead of an aloe butter and I will look for a good source for that.

Bear Hugs,

Mama Bear

Top Bottom