What's new

B&B help me pick my next brush.

Gents, I need some assistance. I’m in the market for a new brush but remain undecided on what to purchase. I generally face lather, and usually bowl / scuttle lather in the colder months. My current and humble collection consists of the follwing brushes:

• Omega 011842
  • RR Pilssoft
  • RR Amici (Mixed)
  • Semogue 1470
  • Omega mixed midget
1593283165255.jpeg

As you can see there is not really a dedicated boar in this line up. And I feel that maybe there should be. Maybe not. A few brushes I’ve had in the past and sold were:

• SOC Boar in Cherry (As I began to face lather more, I felt this was too big and sold it)
  • Colonel X2L in best (Sold this because I started to gravitate towards boars more. Should have kept it)
  • Vulfix 1000a (Was my very first brush and was a pure. It would give me brush burn on my cheek. PIF’d it.)
  • Semogue 2000 blonde boar (Loved this brush but it shed A LOT. PIF’d it to my brother)
If I’m being honest, I don’t know entirely what size knot to look for. I do like backbone and a little bit of scrub, which is why I tend to lean on boar brushes more than anything. But I feel like I’m missing the “Luxury” portion of the lathering process. Granted my 011842 is not completely broken in yet, but I think you gents follow what I mean. I’ve been looking at the Chubby 2 both in best and synth, but I’m too darn indecisive and don‘t want to spend a lot of money on something I might not like. Decisions decisions.

I’ve contemplated the SOC finest badger in either Cherrywood or Taj. I’ve also been looking at Shavemac’s 2 bad silvertip with that jungle moss handle. It calls to me. But the price tag with shipping from Germany to Canada is a bit of a turn off. I’ve also been reminiscing about the Colonel 2XL, probably since it was my first Simpson / high end brush (to me anyhow.)

So, here I sit pondering choices on a hot Saturday afternoon. Suggestions welcome. Photos welcome. What do I do fellas? Add a badger to the arsenal? Maybe look at a synth and stay away from animal products? Keep on keeping on with boars or mixes? Help a brother decide!!

My advice is to go for the SOC 2-band finest because it’s a terrific brush and to begin to learn your preferences for badger, and then to consider a Rudy Vey/Shavemac* ideally via a group buy.

*With the caveat that I have something in the works, but I have yet to actually experience using one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My advice is to go for the SOC 2-band finest because it’s a terrific brush and to begin to learn your preferences for badger, and then to consider a Rudy Vey/Shavemac* ideally via a group buy.

The only issues, as I’ve learned recently through a recent group buy, is that Rudy cannot ship badgers to Canada.

I would consider the Jade Boar a dedicated boar. I quite like the Plissoft. In terms of the best synethic the Omega Evo is tops. I am considering getting that boar you have. You could have gotten a replacement likely on the 2000. I really like that, along with the SOC. The Omega 81064 and Semogue 830 are some favorites too. My preference is for badgers, and long term established brands at that. If you don't mind looking at used brushes you can get some excellent deals. I saw a used Chubby 2 Best for 90 somewhere. Facebook I think. That's an excellent deal, and I have multiple Chubby 2's. One in all the grades, and have had multiple handle colors in the past. Only sold to try to keep collection down. You could try a horse brush. I would suggest an Epsilon hair. Brown I like a bit better, but white is nice to have too. Specifically those sizes I like because of the size. Might not match size wise for you. The Amici is the best you can get in terms of a badger/boar mix and don't suggest looking elsewhere there.

You already have some nice brushes! I think in terms of boar, you're good but maybe try the SOC boar if you want a bit more luxury. I find it the most luxurious out of all my boars.

I think you can use couple more synthetics or badgers.

For synthetics, I'd recommend timberwolf or a boss knot. Maggard's have some available for great value.

As for badgers, I'd recommend you try a SuperHighDensity (SHD) badger. There are a lot of variations out there but some commonly praised ones are from Maggard's, ThatDarnRob, or the APshaveco Gelousy knots.

If you try those knots Timeclo suggests and you don't like it, don't think all badgers are that way. All those are typically quite gelled feeling. Myself I am quite picky and haven't found the cheap to buy knots do it well. Even some of the name brands I don't like it, Thater being the most notable. You can find ones that do it well though even there. Rooney 2-band Heritage has always been my standard bearer for gel tips.

You've got a great boar, a great mixed, a fun little mixed, another boar I've heard is great and a synth I know nothing about.

You had and regret selling a nice three band. Honestly, I'd just replace that brush or maybe go a little higher end Simpson Best.

There is a KH4 on eBay @ $50 that has been relisted a couple times with no bidders. I think that could be just the ticket if you don't mind used... if you're looking for new, take your pick. I'm partial to the Chubby line, but it's not particularly suited for bowl lathering.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Gents, I need some assistance. I’m in the market for a new brush but remain undecided on what to purchase. I generally face lather, and usually bowl / scuttle lather in the colder months. My current and humble collection consists of the follwing brushes:

• Omega 011842
  • RR Pilssoft
  • RR Amici (Mixed)
  • Semogue 1470
  • Omega mixed midget
View attachment 1118598

As you can see there is not really a dedicated boar in this line up. And I feel that maybe there should be. Maybe not. A few brushes I’ve had in the past and sold were:

• SOC Boar in Cherry (As I began to face lather more, I felt this was too big and sold it)
  • Colonel X2L in best (Sold this because I started to gravitate towards boars more. Should have kept it)
  • Vulfix 1000a (Was my very first brush and was a pure. It would give me brush burn on my cheek. PIF’d it.)
  • Semogue 2000 blonde boar (Loved this brush but it shed A LOT. PIF’d it to my brother)
If I’m being honest, I don’t know entirely what size knot to look for. I do like backbone and a little bit of scrub, which is why I tend to lean on boar brushes more than anything. But I feel like I’m missing the “Luxury” portion of the lathering process. Granted my 011842 is not completely broken in yet, but I think you gents follow what I mean. I’ve been looking at the Chubby 2 both in best and synth, but I’m too darn indecisive and don‘t want to spend a lot of money on something I might not like. Decisions decisions.

I’ve contemplated the SOC finest badger in either Cherrywood or Taj. I’ve also been looking at Shavemac’s 2 bad silvertip with that jungle moss handle. It calls to me. But the price tag with shipping from Germany to Canada is a bit of a turn off. I’ve also been reminiscing about the Colonel 2XL, probably since it was my first Simpson / high end brush (to me anyhow.)

So, here I sit pondering choices on a hot Saturday afternoon. Suggestions welcome. Photos welcome. What do I do fellas? Add a badger to the arsenal? Maybe look at a synth and stay away from animal products? Keep on keeping on with boars or mixes? Help a brother decide!!

In my opinion, the OMEGA Jade 011842 Premium Pure Bristle, once broken in, is one of the finest brushes you can buy - knot type notwithstanding. My suggestion is to use it, a lot, until it's properly broken in. Certainly one of my favorite brushes.

If you decide to get a synthetic, the Omega EVO, Mühle/EJ Silvertip Fibre and Simpsons Chubby are all worth considering.

For Badger, the Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip has become a favorite of mine - especially in a @Rudy Vey handle.

Best of luck with the search. :)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The SOC 2 band is a great brush for face lathering, but a little small for the scuttle (for me).

I have scuttle brushes and face lathering brushes and they rarely every cross paths - and never to my total satisfaction.

The SOC boar is a truly fine bowl brush.

If you are okay with used there can be excellent deals to find in the BST. Not sure if there is any for Shavemac 2-band Silvertip at the moment, but that can change in a moment’s notice.

I appreciate all of the replies gentlemen. I think I have narrowed down my choices, but would appreciate any feedback you might have or alternatives. Unfortunately used brushes are not something I would be interested in.

• Simpson Colonel X2L.
  • Razorock 24 mm Chubby Silvertip. There’s one in an ivory handle and one in black barrel handle for about half the cost, yet the knots appear similar? From my research the knots are supplied by Zenith and sourced from Italy as well.
  • SOC 2 band from Semogue
I really would like to go for something like a Paladin, Shavemac or Rudy Vey. But living in Canada, the terrible rate of exchange and the limited shipping options for badger to ship to Canada, leave my options a bit scarce. A $150 shaving brush to my U.S. and U.K. brothers ends up being closer to double the cost for me. Doesn’t make a lot of sense financially unless the CDN dollar starts to gain better exchange value.

@Marco Any suggestions good sir? As mentioned, some options are not available to have a badger shipped to Canada. Should I just stick with boar or venture back into a Simpson Colonel?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
@Marco Any suggestions good sir? As mentioned, some options are not available to have a badger shipped to Canada. Should I just stick with boar or venture back into a Simpson Colonel?

Sir, in your shoes I'd pull the trigger on a Colonel. It's a very solid choice. IMHO.

Well... decided to go back to the Colonel after all. Considering I have some Omega’s and Semogue’s already, this seemed like the logical choice. Looking forward to bringing some nostalgia back to the den.

Top Bottom