What's new

B&B Forum Razor....

Fellas,
Just an FYI - there will be a B&B Forum Double Edge razor available shortly. Might wanna tone down the "acquisitions" a touch so as to be ready to pounce on this one... should be mighty cool!

Price, pictures, design, etc will be released upon final confirmation. As it is now, it will be a Slant Bar style head, and a VERY classy, comfortable, practical, and striking handle. Handle materials are still up in the air, but I am shooting for genuine horn..... however, depending on cost/availability we might have to settle for faux horn, or faux ivory.

Regardless.... it should be one hell of a nice razor!

Cool! Is this going to be an Edwin Jagger type of thing, i.e. a Merkur head with some sort of custom handle? Can't wait to see it.

Great idea! I don't want to create a ruckus here but any reason for a slant bar head in particular?

The only reason I ask is that from everything I've read the slant bar is a much more aggressive razor than a standard head such as the Merkur HD or Classic. :eek:

Will choosing a slant bar as the design not put off those of us with maybe less shaving experience purchasing what sounds like it's going to be one fine product! I'd hate to think that you may be limiting the potential sales of the razor due to the head design being a bit scary in some people's eyes.

Just my 2c worth, whatever the outcome I'm sure it'll be great!

Andy, that's a good question. If I were new to wetshaving I would probably purchase one with the intent to use it after I master and HD or gillette. Of course, I am only speaking for myself and the way I think.

I'd vote for the faux ivory to match many of my brushes. But it would be great if there could be some extra weight added to the handle. I find most of the faux ivory handles to be a little too light.

I'd echo that, ive yet to find a light weight razor i truly like, also seeing a slant is not one of the 20+ razors i own i'll be interested for sure.

woodbane said:
Great idea! I don't want to create a ruckus here but any reason for a slant bar head in particular?

The only reason I ask is that from everything I've read the slant bar is a much more aggressive razor than a standard head such as the Merkur HD or Classic. :eek:

Will choosing a slant bar as the design not put off those of us with maybe less shaving experience purchasing what sounds like it's going to be one fine product! I'd hate to think that you may be limiting the potential sales of the razor due to the head design being a bit scary in some people's eyes.

Just my 2c worth, whatever the outcome I'm sure it'll be great!
Look at it this way. What a incredible incentive to master your shaving technique. Once there you won't want to use anything else - except maybe a straight razor. :biggrin:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
woodbane said:

The short answer is that we are all insane.:tongue_sm

Andy,

IMO (and no one has actually asked for it), the advantage that a custom slant bar offers is based on economics. A regular razor is inexpensive. And while a new Slant bar is not much more expensive, it us unique. Something custom needs to be unique. Add to this the fact that most DE shavers buy more than one razor, usually a large number, a Slant is eventually probably going to be one that is picked up. Maybe not by all, but by a majority. A year ago, I would not have considered owning a slant. Now I have 3. And depending on the price point, I'll probably pick up the custom and sell two of the others. The slant is not my "go to" razor, but it is an incredible shaver.

Randy

GREAT--- A Merkur Slant Bar is my favorite razor, this in my opion is the BEST RAZOR IN THE WORLD BAR NONE.

May I say it would be nice to have a travel box with it either in sterling silver or covered in leather to carry the razor and some extra blade. Even if the travel box was offered as an option. Don't forget this is an item that will last a lifetime and be passed as an airloom to your great grandclildren.
Big deal if it costs a little more, think about an engriving if is is in sterling.

BELIVE ME THIS IS,TO ME, A EXCITING EVENT.

Give it some thought. O.k. Guys state your opion.

Stanley

Update: Still waiting to hear back from the company. I know some fellas are gone at Merkur (vacation or something) so pricing the heads may be the reason for the delay - in anay event, if we haven't heard back form them by Fri - I'll drop them a friendly note. :smile:

Thanks for all the interesting replies guys in helping me to understand why a slant bar is the choice. I still think this a marvellous idea and will almost certainly be interested.

Tell me, are slant bars really that much harder to shave with? I have to admit I'm not even really sure how they work. I've seen picture's but don't get it.

A little more help in this arena might persuade me that the razor isn't a total beeeeeeeeatch!:eek:

No it is not harder to shave with a slant bar as it is with any other DE razor. In fact I think is is even easer, it is hard to explain, but, when you shave with a slant bar the angle of the blade is at the correct angle for a good clean shave. It's like this with a slant bar you shave as with a slight side sclicing motion of the blade. I am very sorry it's not clear but if you tried it or saw someone shaving with one you will understand what I am trying to get at. I hope some other member who shaves with a slant bar and has a better way with words than I have, will help me out.

Stanley

Stan-The-Man said:
No it is not harder to shave with a slant bar as it is with any other DE razor.
Austin said:
The razor shaves over the contours of your face because of the angle of the blade.
I'm gonna have to beg to differ, guys. Coming from the world of the HD, the Slant has taken me a fair amount of work to adjust, and I'm not there yet. I don't want to rain on the Slant Bar parade (and I think it will become one of my faves, with time), but I also don't want the uninitiated to drop three figures on this razor and think it's going to be posies in the park on their first shave.

-Rich

A slant bar is like using a Gillette Mac-3 Turbo...instead of cutting directly thru the hair, it's slices thru it like a knife "shearing" something (the Mach-3 design uses a vibrator action to make the blades vibrate, basically causing the same results). The slant-bar blade angle makes it slice (rather than cut straight thru) the hairs. Better for a close shave, but much less forgiving of mistakes.

I think a custom slant would be a great razor to have. I own a Merkur Slant [I call it "Shaving with My Twisted Sister"] and it is in my rotation of razors, although I have not yet perfected my technique with it. I am partial to fixed head razors, especially the Merkur.

The slant for me seems to be the next logical step of aggressiveness beyond my Merkur HD. It is not the beast that many portray it to be in my opinion. It just takes a change of technique and practice [NO pressure is the key], similar to moving from a cartridge razor to a DE. With a top shelf cream or soap and a Slant, I get a BBS shave everytime.

I'm anxious to see what the B&B Custom is going to be!

Top Bottom