What's new

B&B "Essential" Brush

I am really, really trying to control my excitement. It seems that most folks are movitated by brushes... really, really expensive brushes that work with creams. As it is true that the most expensive brushes out there work incredibly well with creams, it seems the better a brush works with a shaving cream, the worse it works with a shaving soap.

As it also seems that 1/3 of the shavers out there use a soap and not a cream... the brush recommendations that are out there for public approval are not for a soap brush albeit for a cream brush.. not the same animal at all....

Soap brushes are different from cream brushes. You want thickness.. you want stiffness...

You want to be able to load your brush with as much soap as possible. This is an inverse correlation to a cream.

and to the best of my knowlege... it has never been adressed before.

You guys ROCK!

I am really, really trying to control my excitement. It seems that most folks are movitated by brushes... really, really expensive brushes that work with creams. As it is true that the most expensive brushes out there work incredibly well with creams, it seems the better a brush works with a shaving cream, the worse it works with a shaving soap.

As it also seems that 1/3 of the shavers out there use a soap and not a cream... the brush recommendations that are out there for public approval are not for a soap brush albeit for a cream brush.. not the same animal at all....

Soap brushes are different from cream brushes. You want thickness.. you want stiffness...

You want to be able to load your brush with as much soap as possible. This is an inverse correlation to a cream.

and to the best of my knowlege... it has never been adressed before.

You guys ROCK!

Sue,
This is not a soap specific brush. While it does do a spectacular job with soaps, especially yours (as I have the brush and have been playing with it) it does an equally stunning job with shaving creams. Talk to most vendors, and they'll tell you they sell 20 jars of shaving cream to each cake of soap.

This is a brush designed to offer the best value/performance ratio for any product, period - but i've got to make it clear - this isn't a brush designed for "soaps" it a brush designed to lather, whether it be soaps, or creams.

Hope this helps...

Sue,
This is not a soap specific brush. While it does do a spectacular job with soaps, especially yours (as I have the brush and have been playing with it) it does an equally stunning job with shaving creams. Talk to most vendors, and they'll tell you they sell 20 jars of shaving cream to each cake of soap.

This is a brush designed to offer the best value/performance ratio for any product, period - but i've got to make it clear - this isn't a brush designed for "soaps" it a brush designed to lather, whether it be soaps, or creams.

Hope this helps...

Yes, it does! It just makes a good world into a chocolate covered world. AND, I would do anything to get my hands on this brush.

Loading a brush is a very important part of the lathering process... limp brushes just don't perform (with soaps). They feel great on the face, but the lather is not going to be thick or consistant. A thick and dense brush would give anyone the best of both worlds. In regards to soap....... again, I feel the inverse is correct in regards to cream. But... so many folks are worried about creams and not about soaps.

I have to say this leaves me more out of breath than anything you have yet done in my time here. Lather is very important factor with anyone that is going for a good experience vs a hellish one. And soaps are an animal all of there own.. they are the rule that breaks the rule.

My gut tells me that you have accomplished what I have only struggled to realize in the past 6-12 months. I am bowing to the expertise and the well acclaimed knowledge that B&B has. Joel... I have never been so impressed.

I have never been so grateful.

I may be being a bit dim here but is this the long awaited 2007 B&B brush or something seperate?

I believe they are 2 separate deals.
The 2007 will be a one time only thing.
The B&B Essential looks to hopefully be available on a permanent basis

Fantastic, I’ve been needing to get a third brush to round out my rotation, this may just be the brush. I also have a friend that I’ve been wanting to buy a brush for, but am a cheap skate and didn’t want to lay down big bucks for a really nice brush, this may just be the brush I’ve been looking for. Can’t wait for more details.

Loading a brush is a very important part of the lathering process... limp brushes just don't perform (with soaps). They feel great on the face, but the lather is not going to be thick or consistant. A thick and dense brush would give anyone the best of both worlds. In regards to soap....... again, I feel the inverse is correct in regards to cream. But... so many folks are worried about creams and not about soaps.

I don't think you need or want a limp brush for cream. I've never had a brush that worked well for soap not work wonderfully for cream as well.

Mama Bear,

Loading a brush is very important, agreed, but I have to say that "limp" brushes perform very well for me with both glycerin and tripple-milled soaps. I have had *floppy* Omega, Rooney, B&B, and other brushes - and they all worked very well for me with various soaps

Just yestarday I used a very floppy brush with Tabac and had great lather. I also have high-end Rooney Finest and Plisson HMW and they don't seem to be focused on cream performance - both work great with soaps too

If one can't get good lather with a soap and a floppy brush - the problem is most likely in the skills, not the actual brush or soap. Sure, it may be a bit easier and faster to use a stiffer brush, but not too much

Cheers
Ivo

Mama Bear,

Loading a brush is very important, agreed, but I have to say that "limp" brushes perform very well for me with both glycerin and tripple-milled soaps. I have had *floppy* Omega, Rooney, B&B, and other brushes - and they all worked very well for me with various soaps

Just yestarday I used a very floppy brush with Tabac and had great lather. I also have high-end Rooney Finest and Plisson HMW and they don't seem to be focused on cream performance - both work great with soaps too

If one can't get good lather with a soap and a floppy brush - the problem is most likely in the skills, not the actual brush or soap. Sure, it may be a bit easier and faster to use a stiffer brush, but not too much

Cheers
Ivo

I gotta agree - until the advent of obsessive-compulsive Internet shavegeekery (myself included :smile: ), a brush was a brush was a brush (though of course they've always had nice brushes and less-nice brushes). The distinction between "soap brush" and a "cream brush" is a bit tenuous, imho....

IMHO, the BBB is pretty darn good for lathering soap. If the B&B "Essential" is as much of an improvement on the BBB as it seems, the utility will be just that much better.

I gotta agree - until the advent of obsessive-compulsive Internet shavegeekery (myself included :smile: ), a brush was a brush was a brush (though of course they've always had nice brushes and less-nice brushes). The distinction between "soap brush" and a "cream brush" is a bit tenuous, imho....

There are indeed no real differences between soap and cream brushes, although a very floppy/flexible loft is more suitable for creams and a very stiff resilient loft can cope the best with soaps...but it's merely a question of water hardness imo: where i live i can make an absolutely perfect lather with all my brushes, from soap as well as from cream.

Would you guys prefer a "solid" colored handle, or a clear/frosted handle?

I'm leaning towards frosted/clear, as I think it would look really sharp/neat!

Top Bottom