What's new

B&b DVD

Here's a place to post reviews, commentary, etc. on the B&B DVD.

I just watched it, riveted to my screen. A cinematic tour de force! :wink:

Seriously, though, Nick and Joel did a great job with this. A lot of gents are going to benefit.

Joel - you need a manicure, my friend! :scared:
Nick - smash that noisy tripod! :001_tt2:

Thanks for the review Scotto.

A manicure is the least of Joel's problems. :biggrin:

As for the tripod... Doesn't that damn noise rank right up there with nails on a chalkboard and a baby crying? That's why Joel and I wanted to make darn sure that people knew about it before plunking down any cash. :smile:

-Nick

I noticed that the DVD was labeled Volume 1. I'm looking forward to Volume 2. I have one question: What's the small faux ivory handled Vulfix Joel used on the T&H soap? It was in the 370 series, and I'm guessing either a 374 or 375.

Dave T

Dave T said:
I noticed that the DVD was labeled Volume 1. I'm looking forward to Volume 2. I have one question: What's the small faux ivory handled Vulfix Joel used on the T&H soap? It was in the 370 series, and I'm guessing either a 374 or 375.

Dave T

You are correct sir - it is a Vulfix #374!

Rik said:
I finally had time to fire up the TV and watch it. Very nicely done! :thumbup1:

Cool cool! Glad you like it!

Any insight/recommendations for version 2? (aside from the tripod creak) Do you think the current version (Version 1) would be a helpful tool for newbies?

Thanks!

Joel,

Just got a chance to sit down & watch the B&B DVD. I must say, you have a truckload of products! Good Lord. The creaky tripod is about enough to make me put it on mute :scared: (just kidding) But the DVD was very informative and well worth it and I greatly appeciate the time you & Nick put into it. If you do a volume 2, what I'd like to see is:

* A little commentary on how to effectively stop bleeding, some products to do that and how to apply it.

* A little more about straight razors, like honing and really keeping one sharp. The stropping was a nice addition, but I think you should go a little more in depth with it.

* A little commentary about shave prep, like steaming your face with towels, getting your face ready for the shave. I found this is where I either make or break my shave. Hot face means little blood.

* A section on troubleshooting. For example, you gave me advice on my technique about getting my neck cleaned up by shaving with the Vision on full open and my face has thanked me ever since. Maybe a focus on common screwups newbies like me do (example: putting too much pressure on the face with the blade)

Ok, I'll shut up now. Two thumbs up!

-justin

joel said:
Cool cool! Glad you like it!

Any insight/recommendations for version 2? (aside from the tripod creak) Do you think the current version (Version 1) would be a helpful tool for newbies?

Thanks!
I think it's an excellent resource for newbies. You may want to consider adding a section on proper DE form/technique with the premise that the end user has never touched a DE.

Rik said:
I think it's an excellent resource for newbies. You may want to consider adding a section on proper DE form/technique with the premise that the end user has never touched a DE.

And speaking as one of the newbies, I concur on all points!

I got my DVD yesterday and watched the lathering demo last night, and for the first time this morning (keeping in mind I've only been at it for a week) I was able to whip up some nice lather instead of the thin stuff that disappears on my skin while shaving. So far as I'm concerned, that alone was worth the price of the disc!

An excellent job Joel. I'll agree with the posts above - lose the tripod, very distracting. Very good for newbies. My suggestion would be that Volume 2 (IF a volume 2 is planned) go into more detail for those wetshavers that are beyond the newbie classification. :thumbup1:

Justin, Rik, & Cliff,

Thanks for the kind words, and all the suggestions for a possible B&B 2 (Electric Boogaloo?).

Dubes,

I'm glad to hear your lathering was a success!

-Nick

Hello all,

Well, I watched the DVD last nite and I have to say it is well worth the money!:smile:

I will be recommending this DVD to all the new people I come across.
I found it very informative and useful. The best I have seen so far.

Well done,

Randy Tuttle

randydance062449 said:
Hello all,

Well, I watched the DVD last nite and I have to say it is well worth the money!:smile:

I will be recommending this DVD to all the new people I come across.
I found it very informative and useful. The best I have seen so far.

Well done,

Randy Tuttle

Randy,
Thanks for the support! I am tickled pink you like it and hope it can help many others!
So I take it you'll be game for a version 2?

joel said:
Randy,
Thanks for the support! I am tickled pink you like it and hope it can help many others!
So I take it you'll be game for a version 2?

Yes I will!:smile:

I am probably repeating what others have suggested but
1. Show more use of the hot towels and why they are used.
2. Stretching, you did some but explain why.
3. Explain the need to determine the direction that each persons whiskers grow and how they have to adjust.
4. The chin! The CHIN!!! How do I shave the &^^$%*(&^ chin?
5. Cross grain strokes. When, where and how.

Honing belongs on a seperate DVD, don't go there. It will just overwhelm the new guys.

Just my two cents,

randydance062449 said:
4. The chin! The CHIN!!! How do I shave the &^^$%*(&^ chin?
Randy, I have a sure fire way.Bar none the easiest, can be accomplished in a matter of days, the best, low maintenance, fantastic, YOU'LL WONDER HOW YOU SHAVED THIS MANY YEARS WITHOUT IT!!!!!

cheat - use a Mach 3. :scared:

OK slowly back away from those str8ts you were about to gouge out your eyes with.

It's actually very easy. Grow a goatee. :biggrin:

Rik said:
Randy, I have a sure fire way.Bar none the easiest, can be accomplished in a matter of days, the best, low maintenance, fantastic, YOU'LL WONDER HOW YOU SHAVED THIS MANY YEARS WITHOUT IT!!!!!

OK slowly back away from those str8ts you were about to gouge out your eyes with.

:a11: :a11: :a11: :a11: :a11: :a11:
Someone hold me back!!
:a11: :a11: :a11: :a11: :a11: :a11:

Rik said:

Rik,

I have a Quattro! Had it for about 4-5 months...still unopened!!! :001_tt2:

The goatee...had it for over 10 years!

Randy

Rik said:

Ha!:biggrin: You really made my day!:smile:

Well, I just watched part of the DVD again. The first time through, about 3 weeks ago, I was brand to the world of DE razors, brushes, and soaps/creams. Watching it again now that I've been using the DE for ~ a month, I was able to appreciate a lot more Joel's methodshaving demo, particularly how he attacked the chin and neck areas (I always seem to miss a few whiskers on the chin, and the neck...well...that's been a disaster for years. But it's much improved since I ditched the Mach 3).

Anyway, it was good to see how Joel contorted his face and really stretched the skin to get those areas, plus the shots of the blade angle he used, things that I totally missed when I first watched. I'm not saying I'm going to break this thing out every month, but I can see myself referring back to it from time to time as certain problem areas stump me.

Bravo!

Mike

I received my DVD yesterday; very fast shipping and very neat packaging; thanks Nick!!

Joel, you did a nice job together with Nick; very informative, nice to see your pictures from the forums (from the past) live on video/DVD!!!

Thanks again, i'm in for volume 2!!!

Peter

Top Bottom