What's new

B&B Classic Cocktails -- The Sazerac

+1 to Dale DeGroff's New York Sazerac.

Swapping out one part rye for one part cognac really smooths out any harshness you might otherwise experience from the rye.

Do try it. I think you'll be happy with the results. And again, regrets for missing the potlatch. :tongue_sm

In honor of our monthly concoction, I made my very first sazerac yesterday afternoon. It's a nice drink! I'm interested to try it with the original cognac and absinthe, although the Sazerac Rye and Pernod worked just fine for a starter run. Also, FYI meyer lemons make for excellent twists.

Can anyone recommend a good cognac to use for sazeracs? While I am a viking in many aspects of mixology, my cognac experience is sadly lacking.

Cheers, fellas! :a54:

Very nice job. Years ago while in college I was a bartender at the Fairmont Hotel in New Orleans ( Now it's back to the original "The Roosevelt" name). I'm a native of New Orleans but live about 80 miles away now. I actually worked two nights a week in the original Sazerac Bar, which use to be frequented by Huey P. Long when he was governor.

I served several celebrities while working there (Kelly McGinnis, Linda Rondstandt, Martin Sheen, Carl Lewis(olympian), Papa John Phillips, among others) and also met my wife. That was 20 years ago. I've made probably thousands of these cocktails during the 6 yrs I worked there. I really appreciate your efforts and this post. That is a great cocktail that everyone should try at least once. It's supposedly the first "true cocktail". Excellent post. There can be variations to the brand of rye whiskey used but you pretty much captured the essence of preparing the cocktail. Well done :thumbup1:

One question - is there an advantage to muddling a sugar cube over using simple syrup?

None. And if doing for yourself and/or family, simple syrup is much easier than presiding over a muddling ceremony. YMMV.

Hey chaps, nice revival of this thread. What a classic drink. I love this video from a bartender at the Library Lounge. He has a great voice and easy going screen presence.

Regards, Todd

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfhaxHYb46E&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

I had one at the Library in the Opryland resort in Nashville. The wife and I were splurging on a marriage retreat (love the Army) and this was part of our dinner. Had a good taste to it but I capped the night off with a 18yr McCallan. The scotch was much more my style.

That guy is the man. I've had maybe five or six of these over the last two years and the bartenders who really know what they're doing make this a really enjoyable drink. I've had a few totally screw it up, but by and large they do pretty well. I'm going to pick up the fixings for this today. Cheers!

Hey chaps, nice revival of this thread. What a classic drink. I love this video from a bartender at the Library Lounge. He has a great voice and easy going screen presence.

Regards, Todd

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfhaxHYb46E&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

Top Bottom