What's new

B&B: An integral part of my recovery

One year ago I was stuck in the most miserable place a human can be. I was shooting heroin and smoking crack every day. In early August of 2007 I realized that I had a decision to make. I could keep doing these things until they killed me, or I could find a new way of life. I attended a 12 step meeting and since August 6 of 2007 I have not put a mood-altering drug into my body. At about 3 months clean I was finding the Fusion razors to be way too expensive and ineffective so I browsed the net and came across Corey Greenberg's video from The Today Show. I asked my father for a Merkur razor for Christmas, and since then I have not looked back. I am telling you this because I am so grateful to each and every man (and woman) on this forum for your patience and for helping me realize that what is inside that counts, our appearance can be a direct reflection of that. I value every post that I read and every purchase I make or trade I participate in. I have not been the most punctual trader, but no one has treated me like anything less than the gentleman I believe that I have become. It is thanks to this forum and the 12 steps that I have been able to feel a little better about myself every day. I am interested to know if there is anyone else in recovery on the forums who might be able to relate to what i am saying. As I come upon 1 year clean my life has done a complete 180. I still work at the same job that I almost lost when I was using. I have been able to help the addict who still suffers, as well as the man who still shaves with a Fusion. I work at CVS in the photo lab, but my passion is shedding a little light every time someone whines about their current shave. I am only 23 years old and have a lot of life ahead of me. I look forward to becoming more involved in the B&B and again would like to thank everyone for contributing in some way. If anyone is in the rooms or suffering from the disease of addiction and would like to talk, please PM me, I think there is a definite parallel between the fellowship here and the fellowship of recovery.

-Richard Frankel

Hi Richard,

Any event or deed that helps an addict in his or her recovery is a thing to be revered and cherished. The folks on this site should be proud that they have played a role in your climb out of the darkness. Keep it going, and always make the next right decision. Momentum is an amazing thing. That you've kept to your clean life for a year is fantastic. Warm congratulations to you.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Much as I would like to glomm up as much credit as possible for the role of B&B in your recovery, the simple fact of the matter is this: you did it yourself. Whatever crutch you needed, whatever support you required, whatever technique or advice made things easier for you, it's one thing to know you have a problem, and it's another thing altogether to do something about it. Good job.

Here's the bad news- it's not over. If nothing else, you haven't even begun to calculate the financial toll your former misdeeds. I'm not referring to the cost of the items you ingested, rather the result of lost opportunities. There's also the little matter of never forgetting what you're capable of in terms of self destruction, and you'll have to be forever vigilant.

Here's the good news- none of that means squat. Keep going in the right direction and you'll still be able to surpass your wildest dreams. It won't come overnight, but you'll get there in due time. When you come to understand that what you were doing was just a manifestation of a larger problem that we all share to some extent (ie: the quest for instant gratification), you'll develop a better perspective.

And whenever you feel the inevitable tinge of guilt in the presence of the straight laced, button down types of the world, you can reflect that you know a world that is completely foreign to them, and that you're a lot stronger than they are.

Good for you sir. Thank you for telling your story here. I appreciate it and all you have done. I wish the best of luck in life.

Like Joe Dirt says, "You gotta keep on keeping on"

We are all here for support.

As a friend of Bill's for over 9 years, I'm glad your'e sober.

Are you aware of online meetings? You might want to check them out; I'd like to gently remind you to be aware of the traditions. The one you need to worry about is open to interpretation, and is a gray area, but you'll know the right answer in your gut.

Congratulations! Please keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful story of courage and tenacity.:thumbup:

Congrats on breaking your addiction! and most importantly having a positive outlook on your life. Keep moving forward, find something that you are passionate about, then go an make it happen.

Congratulations. Glad you found the inspiration and the tools to turn your life around. I'm willing to bet that spending 15-20 minutes extra in the morning on a good quality shave and thinking of no one else other than yourself, and getting your head together, makes it a little easier to step out the door and face the challenges of the day. Overcoming addiction requires rebuilding self-esteem and the way you look at yourself. Knowing that you look good when you walk out of the door has probably been a nice little building block in rebuilding that self-esteem and reclaiming who you are and who you want to be.

It is thanks to this forum and the 12 steps that I have been able to feel a little better about myself every day.
-Richard Frankel

Richard...Congratulations. That is a wonderful thing. I must say though, that this forum and the 12 steps are but tools. YOU are the one who accomplished this awesome feat...no one else. Yes, you had help along the way, but YOU are the one who made it happen and I send you my most heartfelt congratulations.

Well Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:001_smile

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
May God continue to bless you on your road to recovery. It's a journey, not a destination.

Everyone who believes in a higher power could benefit from the 11th step, I think.

// disclosure: I'm not a Friend of Bill; I just have a few friends who are.

I'm not discounting the sincerity of anyone, or anything of that nature.

But the traditions are there for a purpose, and were carefully thought out and designed. The 11th tradition was put there for a reason, and that's why this program we're talking about has survived for 70 plus years; I could go on and on as to the reasons why, but I won't for the sake of brevity and further breaking the tradition. Only those who have an intimate knowledge of the intricacies of the program will understand where I'm coming from. I wish no ill will, please realize it's not anything about that. Quite the opposite.

I contemplated not even commenting on this post, then I decided to, hoping to get in and out and quickly make my point, because in a sense, by participating in this I'm breaking the tradition also. I just felt it was important to bring this point to light, so at least the parties involved are educated about it.

Now that I have, I'm done.

Happy trails everyone.

This makes quitting nailbiting seem really petty.

Congrats Richard. Thanks for sharing your story with us and I'll echo some of the sentiments here by urging you to never sell yourself short for taking the initiative to overcome your problem. I wish you nothing but the best as you continue your road of recovery.

Always keep moving forward ... you will do it.. others have and now you will too..if they could, you can also. Oh... and smile...

Stay strong man. Be aware also that as much help as the 12 steps are in terms of dealing with the urges and pressures of a lifelong addiction, the final choices reside in YOUR head and hands. YOU are the one that was strong enough to walk away from the path you were on. YOU were the one who chose to live.

YOU are the one who will be responsible for all of your future actions. DO IT RIGHT. You're already moving in the right direction. You have the strength within yourself - if you need the 12 steppers and other communities to help you to find it and hone it, go for it - but YOU ARE A STRONG AND POWERFUL PERSON. Never forget that. Use it to your best advantage at all times.

Stay clean man, and I wish you the best.

Congratulations, Richard. Stay strong, stay on the good road and feel free to hang out here as much as you want.

Kicking chemicals AND shaving with a DE. Now that's manly.

Top Bottom