What's new

Aylsworth Razors New Razor Release - Kopparkant

Kopparkant.PNG

For those that are interested behold this new, beautiful shaving tool. The Kopparkant from Aylsworth Razors!

"Koppar meaning brass in Swedish. And it's passivated to remove surface contaminants but no coating other than the passivation."

"Shave geometry is the same game as the original Drakkant, but with a slight bump in efficiency because of some small tweaks, like beveling the safety bar."

"...it just means rounding off the top of the safety bar a touch more than the original Drakkant, which increases the gap / exposure by a hair, increasing efficiency, and also opening up the effective sweet spot a bit."

"Basically, it's the original Drakkant shave, but with a little more wiggle room in the optimal cutting angle."

"Not as aggressive as the (Drakkant) Plus plate though. Which has positive exposure and a .27 mm larger gap"

"It will be $99 & $35 for the matching inkwell stand and $125 for the bundle." "$167.75 CAD for the set."

Here are some extra, real-world pictures for those that are interested.

PXL_20221201_1946130862.jpg

PXL_20221201_1947115992.jpg

PXL_20221201_1945083272.jpg

PXL_20221201_1945161592.jpg

PXL_20221201_1946447942.jpg

So, what do you think? Are you thinking you might want to pick one up?

It is a stunning razor, at least as far as looks. The price point is pretty reasonable for the market. I would buy this for my wife (bought her a 6S even though I wouldn't spend the funds on myself, but was gifted one by a very generous friend).

Just bought a Drakkant OC and + plate. Wondering if these are cross compatible? I love brass and would like this. Let’s see if they make a plus and OC plate for this Kopparkant, but it may be 6 months to a year before they’d release that based on how they scheduled the release of the plus and OC plate for the original Drakkant.

@buyandhold2018 I'm not about where but I will try and find this out for you. I can tell you that Aylsworth Razors is Canadian.

@Shave Souffle I'm not sure about an open comb plate but am very curious about this as well. The entire razor is all brass by the way.

View attachment 1565358

For those that are interested behold this new, beautiful shaving tool. The Kopparkant from Aylsworth Razors!

"Koppar meaning brass in Swedish. And it's passivated to remove surface contaminants but no coating other than the passivation."

"Shave geometry is the same game as the original Drakkant, but with a slight bump in efficiency because of some small tweaks, like beveling the safety bar."

"...it just means rounding off the top of the safety bar a touch more than the original Drakkant, which increases the gap / exposure by a hair, increasing efficiency, and also opening up the effective sweet spot a bit."

"Basically, it's the original Drakkant shave, but with a little more wiggle room in the optimal cutting angle."

"Not as aggressive as the (Drakkant) Plus plate though. Which has positive exposure and a .27 mm larger gap"

"It will be $99 & $35 for the matching inkwell stand and $125 for the bundle." "$167.75 CAD for the set."

Here are some extra, real-world pictures for those that are interested.

View attachment 1565373
View attachment 1565375
View attachment 1565376
View attachment 1565377
View attachment 1565378

So, what do you think? Are you thinking you might want to pick one up?
Where did you get all this info for this razor? After I got the teaser email yesterday, it was just the picture and name, and that it was dropping on Monday December 5th. I went to the Aylsworth site, FB page and Instagram and there was no info on it other than the vague info I got in the email.

Where are these razors made/machined? There isn't much detail on their website about where the company is located or where the product is manufactured.
The Kopparkant is made at an aerospace manufacturer in Shenzen while the Drakkant (in 316 stainless) is made in USA by Yates Precision mfg.

The Kopparkant is made at an aerospace manufacturer in Shenzen while the Drakkant (in 316 stainless) is made in USA by Yates Precision mfg.
So it's Chinese?
I'll personally pass on this one.
I like the original Drakkant made by Yates.
For brass, I'd go Karve which is Made in Canada and is less money. But whoever likes this one, go for it!
Just my opinion!

Last edited:
It’s a very attractive design, including the stand, and I like the looks even better than the original. It would be great if there could be a polished finish offered someday, though I know that isn’t easy to do well and economically. For some reason (probably overfamiliarity) I am tiring of blasted razor finishes.

I am not a technical person but my understanding is that CNC machines work exactly the same whether they are plugged into a socket in Canada, US or China. Presumably the skill of the machinist(s) is important as well, but also not likely to be affected by degrees of latitude. I cannot see why something being made in China is any less or more attractive than the same item being made in North America or Europe or Timbuktu. It’s how well it is made that matters, surely, not where.

So it's Chinese?
I'll personally pass on this one.
I like the original Drakkant made by Yates.
For brass, I'd go Karve which is Made in Canada and is less money. But whoever likes this one, go for it!
Just my opinion!

@LRod You are very much entitled to your own opinion, likes and dislikes but disregarding this razor simply because of where it's made is shortsided. The goal with this razor was to make something as high quality as possible and that shaves as well as the Drakkant, but more affordable for those who don't have $200-$300 to drop on a razor.

It’s a very attractive design, including the stand, and I like the looks even better than the original. It would be great if there could be a polished finish offered someday, though I know that isn’t easy to do well and economically. For some reason (probably overfamiliarity) I am tiring of blasted razor finishes.

I am not a technical person but my understanding is that CNC machines work exactly the same whether they are plugged into a socket in Canada, US or China. Presumably the skill of the machinist(s) is important as well, but also not likely to be affected by degrees of latitude. I cannot see why something being made in China is any less or more attractive than the same item being made in North America or Europe or Timbuktu. It’s how well it is made that matters, surely, not where.

@Mr. Shavington Thank you for comment. You make a very good point. The location means very little other than how it affects the end-result cost.

There may be a polished version someday, but it will definitely drive the price up. I can only imagine how beautiful this razor would look if it were all shiny.

@LRod You are very much entitled to your own opinion, likes and dislikes but disregarding this razor simply because of where it's made is shortsided. The goal with this razor was to make something as high quality as possible and that shaves as well as the Drakkant, but more affordable for those who don't have $200-$300 to drop on a razor.

@Mr. Shavington Thank you for comment. You make a very good point. The location means very little other than how it affects the end-result cost.

There may be a polished version someday, but it will definitely drive the price up. I can only imagine how beautiful this razor would look if it were all shiny.
Is the price of the Kopparkant going to be lower than the Drakkant?

Edit: apologies, I re-read your first post and I see you noted the price. I didn’t know what the Drakkant price is.

Is the price of the Kopparkant going to be lower than the Drakkant?
Oh yeah! The Drakkant goes for between $170 - $195 depending on finish and base plate. The Kopparkant will sell for $99, $35 for the matching inkwell stand and $125 for the bundle. If you're in Canada it will be $167.75 CAD for the set.

It's not for me is what I was trying to say. It's pretty and I'm sure it's built very well. I have plenty of stuff Made in China!
Wasn't trying to put it down at all. Matter of fact, I specified that whoever likes it, go for it!
Guess I was trying to show that other comparable options existed too. Maybe that was out of place here. I apologize and sorry if it came across the wrong way!

Top Bottom