What's new

Awesome "found" stone passaround signup

OK cool. It would be nice to rustle up a few more for your side of the pond.

We have 10 for the U.S. at the moment so I guess we'll get started. I'm not going to close entry, anyone who wants to get in still just say so. Current shipping order goes like this:

U.S. List:
1.) GolFisHunt - MI
2.) newb - NY
3.) TimS - RI
4.) SliceOfLife - PA
5.) Chaloney - FL
6.) joamo - NE
7.) bluesman7 - CO
8.) dfoulk - AZ
9.) CFrankC - WA

Euro List:
1.) Cachorro - DE
2.) doorsch - DE
3.) Sharpchef - DE
4.) hatzicho - DE

I will make a nice foam padding setup and send the stone out in the next few days. Each participant is responsible for shipping to the next participant in line. If you can't afford it, please ask to be skipped when your turn comes up or first arrange to see if maybe someone else will help you out I guess. Shouldn't be a big deal, small flat rate is under $6. Please also post in the thread when the stone is sent and when the stone is received so we can keep track of it. You don't need to add insurance etc. I will update the lists as we go if necessary.

Last edited:
Thank you Eric for this great passaround, I'm sure we are all looking forward to seeing what it is that you have uncovered. Can't wait to put some edges over it.

BTW I know our Canadian friends get left out a lot, if you guys can work up a decent list I will send one to you also!

I found a piece that separated from the passaround stone when I cut it that fits very snugly, so I decided to stick it back together and lap the bottom to give the stone a flatter bottom. Just in case some guys prefer bench honing, that will make things easier for them. Updated photo after it's finished, then it will head out.

Here is the better, faster, stronger hone:

$IMG_20150313_013809.jpg

$IMG_20150313_013836.jpg

$IMG_20150313_013905.jpg

Got started cutting up one of the Kuro slabs today for another stone trade and for the Euro passaround. I decided to cut a single large stone to keep for my own Kuro stash - check this puppy out:

$IMG_20150314_025128.jpg

$IMG_20150314_025057.jpg

That's my 8.25" x 1.75" Escher there next to it for a frame of reference, lol. That stuff is definitely as precious as the Escher to me, if not moreso! All the other stones I cut are either 2" x 6" or 2.5" x 5.5", whichever way I can do it and maximize the size and number of stones I'll get. These slabs may be all I ever find, so to me they are valued pretty darn high. I'm going to do a Y/G Escher vs. Kuro shaveoff in the next few days... I honestly think it's going to be tough to call which gives the better edge.

Last edited:
You may well be. It really is an excellent stone. I'm really looking forward to hearing what you guys think. Somebody won't be envious though, the guy that is going to get to keep it!

Here are some pics of my Kuro. I did some slurry honing today and it really is a luxurious feeling stone. It is definately tired for my favorite feedback and feel and alsobtied with my top 5 finishers. I love this stone.

7 1/8" x 2.5"
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Nice shots! The detail in those kind of destroys my pics, lol. I need to take more pics in daylight.

Its my camera every time I set the MP to a reasonable size the next shots are huge again.

Gives you an idea of how cool they look though. I think it looks awesome sitting with all my other stones.

Yeah I have a DSLR but I'm too lazy to get it out most of the time, just use my phone...:blushing: They would probably look a lot better if I had some better lighting, the tiny sensors in cheap little cameras and phone cameras need a lot of light or you get crap.

I just honed a fresh razor for my head to head with the Y/G Escher. Took extra care to make it perfect, just like I did with the Y/G Escher edge. Honed with a 2k Shapton Pro, 5k Suehiro Rika, Kuro Light Slurry progression. Probably going down day after tomorrow. Here are the Kuro scope shots:

Built-in Ring Light:
$Kuro 2-5-8 Light Slurry GD Ring Light.jpg

Scratch Enhancing Lighting:
$Kuro 2-5-8 Light Slurry GD Scratch Light.jpg

Raking Light:
$Kuro 2-5-8 Light Slurry GD Raking Light.jpg

Edge Lit/Focused:
$Kuro 2-5-8 Light Slurry GD Edge Light.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the Y/G Escher's scope shots - also finished on a light slurry. Progression was Shapton 2k Pro, Suehiro Rika 5k, Shapton 8k Pro, Y/G Escher on a light rubbing stone slurry:

Built-in Ring Light:
$YG Escher 8k to Light Slurry GD Ring Light.jpg

Scratch Enhancing Light:
$YG Escher 8k to Light Slurry GD Scratch Light.jpg

Raking Light:
$YG Escher 8k to Light Slurry GD Raking Light.jpg

Edge Lit/Focused:
$YG Escher 8k to Light Slurry GD Edge Light.jpg

Last edited:
That Kuro edge looks great! I'm trying to quell my enthusiasm though as I'm too far down the list to start getting excited now.

Top Bottom