What's new

Avon Tai Winds vs Brut

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
For me Tai Winds smells nothing like Brut, especially vintage Fabergé Brut and even more so Brut before the Brut 33 relaunch. To my nose it has more in common with Hai Karate and Jade East, but is inferior to both. That said I really enjoy vintage Avon, and I love Fabergé Brut.

For me Tai Winds smells nothing like Brut, especially vintage Fabergé Brut and even more so Brut before the Brut 33 relaunch. To my nose it has more in common with Hai Karate and Jade East, but is inferior to both. That said I really enjoy vintage Avon, and I love Fabergé Brut.
Never tried old Brut or the others you mentioned.
I also have Avon Leather, vintage Wild Country, Spicy, and Brisk Spice. Just discovered vintage avon a few months ago. Leather and the spices are great. Wild country is so-so but useable. Tai was disappointing only because to me it was a weaker Brut, but I like it. Everyones nose is different.
Any other Avon reccomendations?

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
In 1974 I was in love with a girl who wore Brut. She broke my heart. Even to this day if I smell Brut I still think of her. Make of that what you will. 😳😳😳

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Never tried old Brut or the others you mentioned.
I also have Avon Leather, vintage Wild Country, Spicy, and Brisk Spice. Just discovered vintage avon a few months ago. Leather and the spices are great. Wild country is so-so but useable. Tai was disappointing only because to me it was a weaker Brut, but I like it. Everyones nose is different.
Any other Avon reccomendations?
I try to get the Avon scents in the original non-novelty bottles and in the Cologne form rather than the aftershave, just to limit the size of the collection. Leather and Brisk Spice are hard to find in the UK unless you just buy it on the bay but that is no fun, for me anyway. Take a look at this thread, I would work your way back through the pages. 👍

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

+1

My initial try of Tai Winds had the opening note that was like I remember Brut being. But it quickly changes to something else. I don't really dig it. New Brut is sort of OK at first but deteriorates into a wet grain smell, almost fermented. Yuk!

Happened upon a bottle of original Brut at an estate sale. Now that stuff is nice!

My initial try of Tai Winds had the opening note that was like I remember Brut being. But it quickly changes to something else. I don't really dig it. New Brut is sort of OK at first but deteriorates into a wet grain smell, almost fermented. Yuk!

Happened upon a bottle of original Brut at an estate sale. Now that stuff is nice!
The only ASes that I have tried, and I have tried a lot, that I really can't stand (except for dollar store junk), are The Veg and Stetson. I bought, tried, and threw out The Veg all in the same day many years ago.

I like both Tai Winds and the current Brut AS and the DG clone of it.

Tai Winds isn't quite like Brut, but is definitely not as shrill as Hai Karate. It's actually similar to one of the Clubman aftershaves... maybe Clubman Musk IIRC? With a fat tonka note. It's excellent, actually. I like it better than Brut and Hai Karate. IMO, it is more rich than Brut, with more tonka, better musk and with a green sage note in it. If yours is weaker than Brut, it lost its potency, I'm afraid. Some of those old Tai Winds bottles can also go quite sour if they werent colsed very tightly and the juice gets much darker as a result.

As far as Avon recomendations: if you can find Windjammer and Everest (they are not as plentiful as Wild Country, I'm afraid), they are amazing. Everest was an aquatic at least a decade before people knew what aquatics were and Windjammer was a cologne that has a nautical theme - with a beautiful citrus/pepper note transitioning into lavender/clary sage. Absolutely exquisite.

Finally, if you like citrus, Island Lime might be the best lime aftershave, but it's hard to find. It's a nice, juicy lime, with some vetiver, dry patchouli and moss under it. Doesn't last very long, but it's good for an aftershave. Avon used to have a soap/mug combo packaged with Island Lime.

Last edited:
Tai Winds isn't quite like Brut, but is definitely not as shrill as Hai Karate. It's actually similar to one of the Clubman aftershaves... maybe Clubman Musk IIRC? With a fat tonka note. It's excellent, actually. I like it better than Brut and Hai Karate. IMO, it is more rich than Brut, with more tonka, better musk and with a green sage note in it. If yours is weaker than Brut, it lost its potency, I'm afraid. Some of those old Tai Winds bottles can also go quite sour if they werent colsed very tightly and the juice gets much darker as a result.

As far as Avon recomendations: if you can find Windjammer and Everest (they are not as plentiful as Wild Country, I'm afraid), they are amazing. Everest was an aquatic at least a decade before people knew what aquatics were and Windjammer was a cologne that has a nautical theme - with a beautiful citrus/pepper note transitioning into lavender/clary sage. Absolutely exquisite.

Finally, if you like citrus, Island Lime might be the best lime aftershave, but it's hard to find. It's a nice, juicy lime, with some vetiver, dry patchouli and moss under it. Doesn't last very long, but it's good for an aftershave. Avon used to have a soap/mug combo packaged with Island Lime.
Yes, I don’t have a good nose for scents. I didn’t find my Tai Winds that weak, just a bit weaker than Brut that hits you and others around you right in the face. 😂

Some people say Brut and Pinaud Clubman original smell alike but I think they are completely different.

I will check out those other Avons.

Thanks

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Well said! Glad to have WJ, Everest and several of Island Lime.

AA

Top Bottom