What's new

Average blade life?

Hello all,

New here, so I apologize if this has been beaten to death...

How many shaves do you typically get per blade? I've been using Crystals, and am happy with them for the most part. Seems like on the 3rd or 4th shave though, I'm getting more irritation and requiring more passes (resulting in even more irritation). Does blade life vary per brand?

I can change them more regularly, still cheaper than Fusion carts. Just hoping to hear from other Crystal users what the usable life is...

On a side note, is this generally a good blade?

Thanks,

Joe

Mike H

Instagram Famous
3-5 shaves per blade is about the average, some can only get one, others have reported 20 shaves per blade.

Generally 2-4 shaves per blade. In my preferred Personna Labs, I usually throw out the blade after three uses, but could probably tolerate one more shave.

Personna Reds 4-6 shaves
Personna Blue Labs 5-6
Astra SP 5-6
Feather 3-4
Derby 3-4

I feel like I can get several more shaves out of some of the top ones in my list, but to me it's not worth the extra passes, or possible irritation from the blade.

Many people (as seen in a previous topic) can get anywhere from 2 weeks to a month out of their blades, but in most cases (aside from bragging rights), you are better off just tossing the blade after X uses (depends on preferences etc).

I too get about 4 out of Crystals, that's where I notice adverse dull blade side-effects. And as to whether or not they are a good blade, I like them, but I am a newbie as well. So far my favorites are Gillette Silver Blue, Crystal, and Astra SP in that order. I think what makes a "good blade" ends up being a personal preference in the end though. Happy Shaving!

Astra SP -6
Gillette Silver Blue -5
Rapira Swedish Super Steel - 6 and could have got more
Dorco 301- 2
I think it depends on your face and your facial hair. Some people also try corking the blades or hand stropping the blades to get better shaves. You just have to try and see what works for you. I just shave until I notice the blade doesn't shave as smooth as it used to, then I toss it.

Any blade worth its salt (Crystals included) will last me for one week's worth of stubble. One shave if shaving weekly. Seven shaves if shaving daily.

Thanks,
Mike

A lot of people continue until either they feel the sharpness (and quality of shave) reduce, or they await a small tug ATG on areas such as moustache. When I feel an ATG tug in that area, I'll likely do one more shave to assess the blade.

I also use quality of shave for those that don't generally tug ATG (although pretty much all do at some point),

So Feathers (although not a blade for me) - 6 - I don't get a good shave from them as I do other blades.
7o' clock Blacks - I did 3, but could have done more - Very good shaves from these
Personna Lab - 3 (then ATG tug), so i'll either decice whether a 4th with no ATG moustache passes or just move on - very good shave though before the tug.
German Wilkinson 3 or 4 (had been using them for years with DFS's but few BBS's)
Astra SP's - got dumped after 2, very irritated face. I understand they get a lot of respect here, so for me - it's one to re-try in a few months, but currently my face didn't get on at all well with them.

Just about to move onto either a Rapira, GSB or Voskhod in my latest switching of blades (Thanks to Driftwood).

Last edited:
With the cost i get 100 single edge blades for like 6 bucks so change them after every shave just to ensure a fantastic shave every time

I usually go 3 shaves per blade. I could probably go 4 or 5 but at 4 I start getting some tugging when I start shaving the little swirls in my neck. With the price of blades being so cheap, I don't forsee myself pushing it past three anytime soon. With my old fusion, I would try and push it as far as it would cut, which was 4 shaves for me (and that's with using canned air to dry my blades).

I honestly have no idea how many shaves I get out of a single blade. I just use the blade until I notice the quality of shave begins to wane and then I change it.

3 shaves are about average for me.

Gillete yellows 4
GSB 4
Astra SS and SP 3
Voskhod 3
Dorco st-301 2
Racer 2
Shark SS 2

In my opinion blades get smoother with each shave.

Last edited:
How long the blade lasts is dependent on the quality of the blade - and how long you soak your beard in hot water.

GILLETTE SILVER BLUE - 8 shaves
FEATHER - 6 shaves
DERBY - 5 shaves
ASTRA - 5 shaves
WILKINSON - 2 shaves
PERSONNA - 1 shave (U.S.)

Polsilver is on the waiting list, though I'm guessing it's going to be a winner.

Top Bottom