What's new

aveeno with a brush

Has anybody ever lathered up aveeno shave gel with a shaving brush? I lathered up some edge gel in a bowl with a brush the other day. The results were pretty good.

When I started wetshaving years ago I would lather Aveno and the Nivea canned stuff with a brush. I remember it making them nice and airy. Once I finished those cans though I started and stayed with non canned soaps and creams.

There are a bunch of videos of a barber using proraso foam with a huge boar brush as well as many advocates of barbasol/foamy with a brush around here. I've tried it with edge, Nivea, and Gillette gels before, the Nivea worked the best but the others weren't too bad. They also work just fine without a brush.

This youtube video got me thinking that I should try Aveeno with a brush. It looks pretty creamy and it only costs $4 for a 7 oz can at Walmart/Target/Walgreens etc. Why should I spend $20 on some premium soap when I can use this stuff.

Have you looked at the ingredients in your canned soap? Now look at the ingredients of the 20.00 soap. I prefer less. If you are going to use a brush why not use a product made for a brush? Just my thought but do as you think is best.

Have you looked at the ingredients in your canned soap? Now look at the ingredients of the 20.00 soap. I prefer less. If you are going to use a brush why not use a product made for a brush? Just my thought but do as you think is best.

The number of ingredients has no direct relevance on whether the product is safe or good to use.

I have used foaming shave gel in the past with a brush and the results were excellent. It also wastes less product as vs. hand lathering. And it is gently exfoliating.

Aveeno is really good stuff, it's what I shaved with in college. Back in the day it was a smaller company. The newer stuff is marketted more towards women but the actual product is minimally scented and completely unisex in character.

Edge is also good. Any of the shave gels tend to be more protective than cheap shave creams. They also use less product, in my experience. Just a small dollop of Edge explodes into a rich, dense lather with a brush.

Last edited:
I believe the number of ingredients has a direct relationship to safety. Who knows if an ingredient is safe or not. The generally accepted as safe statement does not in my mind mean it is safe. It only means it is thought to be safe. I personally would rather have less generally
accepted as safe than more. But to each his own.

I believe the number of ingredients has a direct relationship to safety. Who knows if an ingredient is safe or not. The generally accepted as safe statement does not in my mind mean it is safe. It only means it is thought to be safe. I personally would rather have less generally
accepted as safe than more. But to each his own.

You do realize natural ingredients contain thousands of different chemicals, some of which, in sufficient quantities, are not safe?

Most of the ingredients in soap are not natural accept the oil. They are made a lab. Soap is just fat and a lye. A few of the other ingredients are from edible plants and maybe some plants that are not edible. Again I ask what would you prefer?

Gillette makes a shave gel that's intended to be applied with a brush. It comes in a tube, & works quite well, on par with a medium quality cream. It's a LOT better than their canned gel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom