What's new

aveeno shave gel

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Does anybody use aveeno shave gel? What is your opinion of this product?
I have heard good things but have not tried it. If I recall I avoided it due to it containing parabens. I have an allergy to parabens.

I've used their Therapeutic Shave Gel - good product, provides a great lather and shave but does contain ethyl paraben. Every Man Jack for Sensitive Skin is also good and paraben-free, but my current favorite is Nivea's Deep Clean Shave With Charcoal - very light vanilla fragrance, also no parabens, super lather and non-allergenic.

I don't use Aveeno, but recently pulled out an old can of Equate Shave Gel (Gillette Generic) out from under the sink. I whipped up some with bowl & brush & found it easily produces a better, denser and slicker lather than many of the spendier artisan soaps. Rather than just slopping some on your face straight from the can, whip some up into a great lather & post your results here!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
pulled out an old can of Equate Shave Gel (Gillette Generic) out from under the sink. I whipped up some with bowl & brush & found it easily produces a better, denser and slicker lather than many of the spendier artisan soaps.
Heretic!

Someone will be along shortly to tell you that you are wrong. LOL

I used this stuff for years when I was using carts. I always used way too much (in hindsight) but it was always the best for my skin. It left my skin soft, not irritated.

I’ll give it another go at some point but can say it was the best stuff I ever used that came from a can. Use less and wet your hands working it into your beard if you decide to try it.

+1 my experience exactly. When I bought my first SuperSpeed, I used Aveeno gel since I got the razor before the rest of the kit. With the carts (and I'd use the same cart daily for a couple of months or more) and the SS, it was a decent shave. No comparison to Williams Mug but decent.

I used this stuff for years when I was using carts. I always used way too much (in hindsight) but it was always the best for my skin. It left my skin soft, not irritated.

I’ll give it another go at some point but can say it was the best stuff I ever used that came from a can. Use less and wet your hands working it into your beard if you decide to try it.

+1 my experience exactly. When I bought my first SuperSpeed, I used Aveeno gel since I got the razor before the rest of the kit. With the carts (and I'd use the same cart daily for a couple of months or more) and the SS, it was a decent shave. No comparison to Williams Mug but decent.

Just curious, the newer formulation of Williams or the old? That’s the one soap that gets all the raves (and hate) that I’ve never tried. Very curious!

@BudgetShaverGuy
Both, actually.
I broke down and opened a NIB puck of Vintage Menthol Williams a couple of days ago.
I soaked it for the time it takes me to shower and it whipped up a slick and strong lather with just a few minutes work.
I wanted to try it because I had switched from my Schick Grip to a Hydro-Magic using TOBS and BeeHive soaps and was giving myself some ferocious weepers.
The Williams was the key to a blood-free shave.
In the past, I've used the Modern version with similar results.. but with a bit more effort to get the lather going.
I've considered switching completely to Williams since I have both Vintage and Modern pucks but I also have about 20 other soaps and creams.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I've considered switching completely to Williams since I have both Vintage and Modern pucks but I also have about 20 other soaps and creams.
I've used both while I can get great shaves from both, the vintage lathers better. If I were you I'd take a puck of each, grate it, mix it and smash it in a mug. I'll bet it still lathers great and you stretch out the life of the vintage.

Use distilled water with your Williams (or any soap) and you won't have any difficulty building a great lather.

Aveeno was one of my favorite cans of goo before I switched to soaps/creams... I also really liked Nivea gel in the can, which I would rate as a bit better than Aveeno (for my face). I still have 1/2 a can of Nivea that I break out once in a while to finish up.

And I have to say, brush/bowl lathering with it makes it perform even better than going straight to the face.

I haven't tried Aveeno, but I really liked Harry's when I had a travel-size of it on a trip. Maybe when I run out of Gillette Pure cream (which has been amazing, with a brush or without), I'll give the Aveeno a shot.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I haven't tried Aveeno, but I really liked Harry's when I had a travel-size of it on a trip. Maybe when I run out of Gillette Pure cream (which has been amazing, with a brush or without), I'll give the Aveeno a shot.
Hmm... I have some Pure. Never tried it brushless...

Top Bottom