What's new

AVB19Peace's first couple of wet shaves

A

AVB19Peace

First off, my friends and family already think I'm a geek for being into Apple Macintosh and music so much. Joining a shaving board puts the icing on the cake. :biggrin:

Using the techniques from the boards:

I let my beard grow for a couple days and really looked at how it grew to be able to shave with the grain on my first pass.
I filled my bowl with water and microwaved it to get it steaming hot.
Soaked brush in bowl while I took a shower.
I left my face wet after showering.
Emptied bowl and gave a couple flicks of the brush to get excess water off.
Inserted brush into cream and gave it a twist.
Started swirling in bowl, and swirled, and swirled.
Rewet my face with hot water just before lathering.
Lathered face with circles and paint strokes.
I did the first two passes of guenron's excellent Four Pass thread.
I rinsed and relathered between passes.
Rinsed, relathered and cleaned up a couple patches I missed.
Rinsed face with cold water and patted dry.
Applied Thayer's Witch Hazel alcohol free original scent. (Don't like the smell).

Today was my second shave and nicked my neck, but overall two great experiences. The shaves were closer than anything I've ever had and felt great. I was nervous as hell on my first one and took 45 minutes, but today it took 30 minutes to shave. Hopefully, I can “shave” more minutes off as I learn the proper angle and get comfortable.

I really need to work on the lather and it did get cold by the time I did my second pass. It's hard to tell if I'm getting the angle right, but my face feels smooth so I must've done something right. :) I also am going to have to find an aftershave balm. I get dry white patches around my mouth and chin. Doesn't look good when you're Mexican, summer and really tan. :smile: Using some sort of balm or lotion helps better than anything. I've used the Fusion aftershave up until my first couple of wet shaves, but would like to find something better.

I've read some great threads here which helped me out with my first couple of shaves and really hope to learn more. A lot of helpful members here, but especially would like to point out guenron, Kyle, Leisureguy, Scotto and his FAQ.

Yeah, I'm a geek.

Sounds like you're making FAST progress. Keep it up. Speed will come, but even when you get faster (because your skill increases), you get good shaves if you're unhurried.

Way to go , Big Al!

it will get better- especially once you find an asb you like- the nivea is a good one for its cost and effectiveness. hurry and get thee down to a wally's world or its equivalent. in fact, I believe u can even purchase nivea in ye olde grocery store.

Marty

Leisureguy said:
Sounds like you're making FAST progress. Keep it up. Speed will come, but even when you get faster (because your skill increases), you get good shaves if you're unhurried.

Listen to Leisureguy, he knows of what he speaks. But, really, everyone on this board will tell you the same thing. It's not like typing, or driving, the point is NOT to get faster. The point is to get better.

My shaves still take me 30 minutes at the fastest, but I'm also getting the best shaves of my life. If that were 40 minutes, I'd still do it. Speed is not of the essence.

So, take it easy, work on technique, grab some great products along the way, and enjoy the ride.

Welcome to wet shaving by the way.

Peace,

Pierre

AVB19Peace said:
First off, my friends and family already think I'm a geek for being into Apple Macintosh and music so much. Joining a shaving board puts the icing on the cake. :biggrin:

Using the techniques from the boards:

I let my beard grow for a couple days and really looked at how it grew to be able to shave with the grain on my first pass.
I filled my bowl with water and microwaved it to get it steaming hot.
Soaked brush in bowl while I took a shower.
I left my face wet after showering.
Emptied bowl and gave a couple flicks of the brush to get excess water off.
Inserted brush into cream and gave it a twist.
Started swirling in bowl, and swirled, and swirled.
Rewet my face with hot water just before lathering.
Lathered face with circles and paint strokes.
I did the first two passes of guenron's excellent Four Pass thread.
I rinsed and relathered between passes.
Rinsed, relathered and cleaned up a couple patches I missed.
Rinsed face with cold water and patted dry.
Applied Thayer's Witch Hazel alcohol free original scent. (Don't like the smell).

Today was my second shave and nicked my neck, but overall two great experiences. The shaves were closer than anything I've ever had and felt great. I was nervous as hell on my first one and took 45 minutes, but today it took 30 minutes to shave. Hopefully, I can “shave” more minutes off as I learn the proper angle and get comfortable.

I really need to work on the lather and it did get cold by the time I did my second pass. It's hard to tell if I'm getting the angle right, but my face feels smooth so I must've done something right. :) I also am going to have to find an aftershave balm. I get dry white patches around my mouth and chin. Doesn't look good when you're Mexican, summer and really tan. :smile: Using some sort of balm or lotion helps better than anything. I've used the Fusion aftershave up until my first couple of wet shaves, but would like to find something better.

I've read some great threads here which helped me out with my first couple of shaves and really hope to learn more. A lot of helpful members here, but especially would like to point out guenron, Kyle, Leisureguy, Scotto and his FAQ.

Yeah, I'm a geek.

Judging by what you wrote, you paid much closer attention than I did when I started (not very long ago). I think that you will have a fairly easy time getting the hang of it. Good to stop yourself at two passes (with the grain) for a while IMO. My first few shaves I tried to shave my face off!

Brian

Top Bottom