What's new

AV balm

I apologize if this was already brought up in another thread but I didn't find it.

Has anyone tried the new-ish Aqua Velva aftershave balm that comes in a tube? Saw it at a local store and was curious. Does it smell exactly like the classic splash, which I love and have used for many years?

Thanks, gents. Any comments about it are most welcome.

It smells completely different. I really don’t like the smell or performance much. This is coming from someone who likes the splash quite a bit.

I've used a couple tubes of it. It is a different scent from the splash and has a thicker consistency than Nivea. I like it though. I'm a big fan of the splash too.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I really like it. The scent is somewhat reminiscent of Mon Triomphe, a JB Williams aftershave/cologne from the 70s. Reminiscent, not identical. The performance of this balm is excellent.

I have a tube and I think it's pretty good. I find that the consistency is a little thick, though, so I mix in some witch hazel. To me it smells like the Aqua Velva splash, but to be fair it's been many years since I used the splash, so I can't really say for sure.

Thanks, guys. I thought expecting it to smell like the AV splash was too good to be true... I have used AV since early shaving days and it has good associations. The balm might have been a good option for winter, but I might pass, then.

According to reviews, the scent is similar.

Most balms flatten down the top notes unless the base fragrance is reblended to account for that. That's why balms rarely have the kind of projection of lotions.

The scents are completely different. I have both and have used both recently; they are nothing alike. I was also hoping they had the same fragrance when I purchased the balm.

I miss their Ice Balm. I have one NOS bottle that I will never part with. The scent takes me back to when I started wet shaving in 2007.

I agree that their new balm is great stuff and I usually have at least two tubes on hand.

Just missing their Ice Balm....

Top Bottom