What's new

AutoStrop

Seems not much is said about the Valet AutoStrops. They're plentiful and reasonably priced. What have your experiences been?

Well they're overly complex, they violates the Gillette bussiness model (give them the razor and sell them blades forever) It's rather head heavy even compared to a TTO Gillette and you can't get new blades though I hear you can make a GEM blade fit. I have two, I collect oddbal razor but I've never shaved with it.

Obviously oxidation would have taken the edge of the blades long ago, but could they be honed back to working order? That's sort of the point of the aut strop razors after all, reusable blades.

AJS said:
Obviously oxidation would have taken the edge of the blades long ago, but could they be honed back to working order? That's sort of the point of the aut strop razors after all, reusable blades.

Yeah; problem is unlike a Rolls Razor which comes with a hone and a strop. a Auto Strop Razor only has a strop for maintaining the sharpness of the edge. You can't sharpen a razor with just a strop.

Would it be feasible to have someone like Lynn at SRP sharpen these blades? I have always been interested in getting a Rolls Razor or a Valet, but given the fact that the blades were reusable and may not be in the best condition I have always held off of buying one. But if a professional honemeister could make them shave ready again, might they be worth looking into more seriously?

Just buy one, their dirt cheap. I hear that you can mod a Gem blade . themba over at SMF is seriously into the old single edge and transitional razors.

Thanks for the replies. Onto the next question, does anyone here know how to modify a GEM blade to fit a Valet?

Top Bottom