What's new

AutoStrop/Valet Razors: A Typology in 13 Parts

With the older models (VC1 and before), when Valet wasn’t using the proprietary pins/blade cutouts, I’m told you can use a despined Gem blade, but I’ve never tried it.
First off, thanks for putting this together. It's a great resource for those getting into the wonderful world of AutoStrops.

You say above that VC1 and before could use standard SE blades, yet the VB2 looks like it has the pins and cutouts. Are you saying it takes standard despined SE blades?

BTW I have an A1 and a few B1s and VB1s. I only use despined SE blades, and much prefer the shave of the Bs over the A.

Charles, this thread is amazing. I'm now inspired to pull out my Valet/Autostrop, which I used to use frequently, but have ignored for too long.

You say above that VC1 and before could use standard SE blades, yet the VB2 looks like it has the pins and cutouts. Are you saying it takes standard despined SE blades?

It's confusing, because the VB2 came after the VC1.

But you are correct that the VB2 has pins and cutouts. No despined Gem blades for the VB2.

The confusion comes from the Robert Waits model numbering (which is otherwise excellent and even here makes sense). The VB2 is actually a later model than the VC1, and he did it that way because with the VB2, AutoStrop was using the roller-guide on the back for the strop, characteristic of the earlier models. Remember that the VB2 is special: AutoStrop was putting their best stuff (including the roller) on that model, even though they'd gone away from that element a few years earlier for the base model VC1. But the VB2 has pins, and the earlier VC1 doesn't have pins. So from VC1 and earlier, people report they are fitting despined SE blades. After that (including the VB2), you can't because of the pins and blade cutouts.

It's confusing, because the VB2 came after the VC1.
That sentence clears it up. The model designation refers to physical characteristics rather than dates.

There's similar confusion with the Canadian Schick Type E3 injector. It can actually be older than a US Type G.

Beautiful writeup - thanks for taking the time to put it all together.

This will likely become the definitive thread for Auto-Strop model identification.

My understanding is that the VB1 and VC1 came out at the same time, and likewise so did the VB2 and VC2 a bit later. The VC1 and VC2 were the standard models (cased sets sold for a dollar) while the VB1 and VB2 were the deluxe models with their roller strop guides, heavy silver plating and elegant plush cases.

A word on the "VALET" cutout: Manufacturers would come out with their new razors and blades, and as soon as the patent ran out other manufacturers would produce blades to fit the razors, depriving the razor manufacturer of a major source of revenue.

Henry Gaisman came up with the rather brilliant idea of putting a "VALET" cutout in the blades. A series of tabs and pins on the razor would fit into the blade cutout, with literally hundreds of possible pin/tab arrangements.

VALET was a registered trademark of Auto-Strop Razor Corp. Unlike patents trademarks do not expire, so other blade manufacturers could not copy the cutout. No aftermarket blades for the Auto-Strops were produced until years later when Feather came up with an abstract cutout that would work with 99.9% of the pin/tab arrangements. There are a very few Auto-Strops out there that will not take the Feather blades.

Why was Feather so interested in Auto-Strop blades? For a time they were marketing their own copy of the Auto-Strop razor.

Trivia: An original Auto-Strop razor was recovered from the ocean floor at the Titanic site and is on display at the Titanic exhibit at the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas.

--Bob

My understanding is that the VB1 and VC1 came out at the same time, and likewise so did the VB2 and VC2 a bit later. The VC1 and VC2 were the standard models (cased sets sold for a dollar) while the VB1 and VB2 were the deluxe models with their roller strop guides, heavy silver plating and elegant plush cases.

A word on the "VALET" cutout: Manufacturers would come out with their new razors and blades, and as soon as the patent ran out other manufacturers would produce blades to fit the razors, depriving the razor manufacturer of a major source of revenue.

Henry Gaisman came up with the rather brilliant idea of putting a "VALET" cutout in the blades. A series of tabs and pins on the razor would fit into the blade cutout, with literally hundreds of possible pin/tab arrangements.

VALET was a registered trademark of Auto-Strop Razor Corp. Unlike patents trademarks do not expire, so other blade manufacturers could not copy the cutout. No aftermarket blades for the Auto-Strops were produced until years later when Feather came up with an abstract cutout that would work with 99.9% of the pin/tab arrangements. There are a very few Auto-Strops out there that will not take the Feather blades.

Why was Feather so interested in Auto-Strop blades? For a time they were marketing their own copy of the Auto-Strop razor.

Trivia: An original Auto-Strop razor was recovered from the ocean floor at the Titanic site and is on display at the Titanic exhibit at the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas.

@spidey9: Good stuff, Bob. Many thanks. I hadn't heard before that the VB1 and VC1 might have been introduced at the same time (or that the same might be true of the VB2 and VC2). Waits has them coming out a year apart in both cases (1921-22 for the VB1 and VC1; 1927-28 for the VB2 and VC2). But even if he's right, AutoStrop may have intended them as companion razors that hit different price points with upscale vs. down-market components. Release a high-end razor in one year, sell as many as possible, then come out the following year with a less expensive variant that piggy-backs on the earlier marketing and captures a different segment of consumer. Makes sense.

For a time, Fuller Blade Co. marketed a Valet blade clone under their Eastmor brand. Fuller sold knock-offs of Durham Duplex and Schick injector blades too. I'm not sure if this was contemporaneous with Valet production, or after the Valet line was discontinued.

Found mine - it has a silver/grey appearance but has identical cut-outs to the right sided razor on @Highspeedlane's pic (from a #42 12/22/2016 post "School me on the Valet AutoStrop" thread). Have a few Feather blades on the way from try-a-blade and will report back soon w/ more pics ...
upload_2017-6-29_21-41-25.png

IMG_1913.jpg

Thanks again for this great thread, Charles. To be clear the pic I "borrowed" for reference a few posts ago was @Highspeedlane's from a 2016 thread. I think mine pictured here is the VC2 model. Feather blade arrived today from try-a-blade and confirmed what I was nervous about. The particular cut-out pattern on my Valet head doesn't accept the Feather.. Will try a de-spined GEM blade soon and get back to you...

View attachment 801470

Thanks again for this great thread, Charles. To be clear the pic I "borrowed" for reference a few posts ago was @Highspeedlane's from a 2016 thread. I think mine pictured here is the VC2 model. Feather blade arrived today from try-a-blade and confirmed what I was nervous about. The particular cut-out pattern on my Valet head doesn't accept the Feather.. Will try a de-spined GEM blade soon and get back to you...

The GEM blade won't work, try flipping the blade over and trying it! It only works on one side of the blade.

Received my VC1 today, thought it was broke, was looking for a swinging door. Then I figured out how to load the blade. Will use in the morning, probably with a GEM blade first.

Hey Charles,
Thanks to you & your friends, I'm suddenly very interested in AutoStrops. I never realized that there were so many variations. Thanks for the thread.

Thanks for this great write up on the Auto Strops, It should go to Wiki. Found out what I have. A B1 Auto Stop in silver looking case with 2 blades and blade box, the strop tip was cut off some but it's still long (11 in") enough to sharpen blade. Tried fitting a Gem blade after removing the spline and even making the notch wider, does not fit. and have a Probak OC DE razor, Both are great shavers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom