What's new

Autostrop Instructions

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Here's some from Model C .. best I could come up with -

Scan_20210330.jpg

Wanted to see the details on the blade adjustment and shave angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanted to see the details on the blade adjustment and shave angle.

There really are no instructions on the shave angle. It’s basically the blade backs off from the stoppers as you move the lever forward. I personally would not use this adjustment as I wouldn’t trust the blade stability unless it’s tight against the blade stops.

As it move away from the stops does the shave get closer? I don’t understand the principle here. The adjustment looks so minimal before the blade leaves the stops.

As it move away from the stops does the shave get closer? I don’t understand the principle here. The adjustment looks so minimal before the blade leaves the stops.

I haven’t experimented shaving with it while the blade is backed away from the stops. Some others have, and if I remember correctly, it becomes less agressive. I personally don’t trust the blade to stay in place, let alone bumping the adjustment lever while in the process of shaving.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Sorry about the poor picture .. I have shaved with it but using only the modern alternative blades. Good shave but those Feather blades aren't cheap and work only in a limited # of my other razors

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I shave with my Valet Auto-strop(Canadian Variant) much the same angle as my Gem razors and listen(audio feedback) to the blade telling you your in the the sweet spot. I modified my blade gap from .011 thousands of inch to .007 and its right in the sweet spot for efficentcy and comfort. The wider gap was to much and did not enjoy my shave, the teeth on the razor are fairly malleable and easy to tweak on my razor it seemed.
I have similar information as @garyg but might be a little clearer to read. This came with my razor package. Print it off for information on your razor if you have a C1 type or something close to this model.
(Just click on picture to enlarge it and hit magnify+ symbol.)

Valet auto strop (1).jpg

Valet auto strop (2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Last edited:
I shave with my Valet Auto-strop(Canadian Variant) much the same angle as my Gem razors and listen(audio feedback) to the blade telling you your in the the sweet spot. I modified my blade gap from .011 thousands of inch to .007 and its right in the sweet spot for efficentcy and comfort. The wider gap was to much and did not enjoy my shave, the teeth on the razor are fairly malleable and easy to tweak on my razor it seemed.
I have similar information as @garyg but might be a little clearer to read. This came with my razor package. Print it off for information on your razor if you have a C1 type or something close to this model.
(Just click on picture to enlarge it.)

View attachment 1244177
View attachment 1244179

Did the wider gap result in a more aggressive shave?

proxy.php

Think mine is a British vb2.

Ron R

Did the wider gap result in a more aggressive shave?

proxy.php

Think mine is a British vb2.

Looking at your blade gap seems more than mine, and you have different blade stops than the C1 for your model.
I decreased the gap from .011 to .007 thousands of inch and made it better for my shaves! I found my razor really aggressive from prior owner and it was abused by someone who did not know how it worked in my opinion. I would say it is a mid range razor with the new gap setting. I get great shaves with it now and its a keeper, not sure why the gap was larger from factory.
Maybe in the 1920's people like aggression or the blades were not as sharp as todays and needed the larger gap??
Valet Auto-strop Canadian Variant 1920's.jpg

Have some great shaves!

When we talk about gap....

Is it distance from end of comb?
Vertical lift parallel to the handle?
Or actual airspace between the start of comb as the blade slides to the stops?

Ron R

When we talk about gap....

Is it distance from end of comb?
Vertical lift parallel to the handle?
Or actual airspace between the start of comb as the blade slides to the stops?

It can get a little confusing and I always resort to this description photo one of the fellows on B&B put together for us to enjoy.
Safety_Razor_Parameters_around_Blade_Cutting_Edge (3).jpg

It can get a little confusing and I always resort to this description photo one of the fellows on B&B put together for us to enjoy.
View attachment 1244193

Ok. Great graphic....

So as labeled here we’re discussing blade gap. More equals aggressive less equals milder? Is this because it allows more deformation of the skin into the mechanism and more blade contact?

Was the second photo a mistake? It’s a duplicate of the first.

Ron R

Ok. Great graphic....

So as labeled here we’re discussing blade gap. More equals aggressive less equals milder? Is this because it allows more deformation of the skin into the mechanism and more blade contact?

Is this because it allows more deformation of the skin into the mechanism and more blade contact?
More blade gap with this type of razor the operator has to have excellent technique because it has no top cap = more chance of error or aggression is hard to control, this razor is not meant for a Steep or riding the safety bar(refer to photo). The razor is engineered to mock a straight razor or wedge blade with a safety bar to protect the operator. As for use always use the weight of the razor be the pressure needed unless going from South to north to overcome gravity then slight pressure is needed as you already would know.
Have you used this razor at all?

Yes. I’ve gone about a week of daily shaves with it. This is my first foray into old tech. Actually I haven’t shaved with a blade since high school....

Ron R

Ok. Great graphic....

Is this because it allows more deformation of the skin into the mechanism and more blade contact?
More blade gap with this type of razor the operator has to have excellent technique because it has no top cap = more chance of error or aggression is hard to control, this razor is not meant for a Steep or riding the safety bar(refer to photo). The razor is engineered to mock a straight razor or wedge blade with a safety bar to protect the operator. As for use always use the weight of the razor be the pressure needed unless going from South to north to overcome gravity then slight pressure is needed as you already would know.
The razor blades for that razor are the FHS-10, they work most of the time for a lot of the models but every once in a while it does not work for some reason because they where designed to take only Valet blades but Feather was able to make their blade work for a lot of the models. The FHS-10 blade does not have longevity good for 2 shaves then drops off, but is sharp & smooth for a couple of shaves!

Last edited:
Top Bottom