What's new

Automatic pour over vs. Automatic drip

Mike H

Instagram Famous
My oldest picked up a Bodum automatic pour over coffee maker. It makes a fine cup of coffee, although I have not done a side by side comparison of taste, from a practical standpoint, the process is very similar. Water is heated and pours over the grounds. What am I not understanding about the difference?
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

The term pour over is usually associated with manual brewing. IE you boil the water and pour it over the grounds.

Auto drip is basically the same thing just automated. Flip the switch and wow there's coffee to drink.

The difference is the amount of control you have over the brew process. Things like how hot the water is. How fast/slow you present the water to the grounds (pre-infuse/bloom).

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I think Bodum is playing on the words in some fancy marketing scheme. Automatic pour over? Sounds exactly like an auto-drip

It looks like Bodum’s version of a Moccomaster and they are both auto pour coffee makers.

Most auto drip machines heat the water as it’s pumped through to the head which usually results in an uneven water temperature. The auto pour machines heat the water to 90-95C before pumping it through to the head. The Moccomaster, not sure about the Bodum, will also bloom the grounds first and then start the pourover.

I’ve have had Moccomaster brewed coffee many times at cafes in Melbourne and it’s superior to coffee made in a drip machine. Having said that I use a drip machine at home because it cost me $50AUD and I can’t justify spending $300-400AUD on a Moccomaster for myself.

Top Bottom