What's new

Auto-Strop - U.S. ARMY - WWI Doughboy's Shaving Kit

Just picked up this extremely well preserved Auto-Strop U.S. Army issued shaving kit. Appears to have never been used. Blade box is unopened, and strop is in the original wax-paper wrapping. Unfortunately, the steel mirror did not survive with this kit. Any members know where I might get one in nice condition? Thanks.

s-l1600 1.jpg
s-l1600 2.jpg
s-l1600 3.jpg
s-l1600 4.jpg
s-l1600 5.jpg
s-l1600 6.jpg

I have that same kit I found a the local flea market. I don't recall if mine has a mirror. I'll have to check. I've got a number of Valets and have yet to shave with one. I have a big supply of NOS valet blades too. One day. Nice set.

I've done a bit more internet research since my initial post, and I'm pretty sure that not ALL kits included the mirror. Plenty of photos online of the same kit. Just as many without the mirror, as with. I found that these razor kits have been discussed before on this forum. Found this on one of those threads.
Info.jpg

Just picked up this extremely well preserved Auto-Strop U.S. Army issued shaving kit. Appears to have never been used. Blade box is unopened, and strop is in the original wax-paper wrapping. Unfortunately, the steel mirror did not survive with this kit. Any members know where I might get one in nice condition? Thanks.

View attachment 902645 View attachment 902646 View attachment 902647 View attachment 902648 View attachment 902649 View attachment 902650

an awesome find!

I have that same kit I found a the local flea market. I don't recall if mine has a mirror. I'll have to check. I've got a number of Valets and have yet to shave with one. I have a big supply of NOS valet blades too. One day. Nice set.

Theres a guide about which modern blades these beuties take. Ive been shaving with a feather SE (not AC blade) blade for a week and the shave quality with out trying is DFS everytime. You should give it a go.

Theres a guide about which modern blades these beuties take. Ive been shaving with a feather SE (not AC blade) blade for a week and the shave quality with out trying is DFS everytime. You should give it a go.

I've seen those blades. I also have a ton of NOS valet blades. I have too many other razors I'm enjoying at the moment. So one day I'll try a valet. I think I have three or four nice ones. Thanks!

Just a quick note about the mirror. The square one shown beside the write up is not correct for the kit, the correct mirror is an oval shaped one. I've been lucky to have found both the Khaki set and the pigskin set in mint condition. Unfortunately neither of the sets came with the mirror - the mirror seems to be the bit that people either lose, or keep. I plan to shave with the GI set on November 11th.

Just a quick note about the mirror. The square one shown beside the write up is not correct for the kit, the correct mirror is an oval shaped one. I've been lucky to have found both the Khaki set and the pigskin set in mint condition. Unfortunately neither of the sets came with the mirror - the mirror seems to be the bit that people either lose, or keep. I plan to shave with the GI set on November 11th.

Good way to start off a day of remembrance!

Top Bottom