What's new

Auto strop razor

i got light headed from laughing after reading his post. :lol: :lol: ............................ anyway, i have a few auto strops but have yet to try them out. i barely used a gem mm for the first time last week which was an awesome shave. eventually ill get arond to using the auto strop

This thread made me laugh, too. It is not like we all get up and Polka. Bingo, of course, is a different matter entirely. :001_tt2:

When you get around to it, the VAS gives a fine shave. The head is a bit heavy from the stropping mechanism, and the angle at first feels a little awkward, but once mastered it is very nice. The stropping gizmo is much fun to use and does seem to prolong blade life a few shaves. Have fun!

I just picked up an autostrop with marking indicating a 1912 patent, it takes the feather blades (which I discovered lurking around before finally creating an account). I really want a strop for it, but I imagine that an old one would be deteriorated due to age. The fellow who makes replacements out of the UK is all out :/

All that aside, I've shaved four times with it so far and being my first safety razor I love it. I'm glad I was able to get it so reasonably!

Welcome to B&B!
-- Chet

Guys, will you stop doing he Polka and answer a quick question for me regarding the Valet Auto Strops? Besides, i have to get back to my Philco radio because the next episode of Johnny Dollar is about to start :badger:

I have been looking to add one to my collection. First, I want one that I can use and enjoy shaving with, second consideration would be for a nice specimen to look at . Also, my desire would be to use the Feather blades. Can you recommend a model number or version I should be looking for. A Picture of the actual razor would be awfully nice.:001_smile

I saw an Auto Strop yesterday at an Antique store in a nice box with a blade case, but I think it was around $32 and I passed on it.

As a kid, I'd listen to Mystery Theater on the radio at night with your host E.G. Marshall. That and Dr. Demento. I hated Lawrence Welk back then, it was our cue to leave Grandma's house when it came on, but now I like to watch (when the Wife lets me, she hates it) probably for the nostalgia and because it reminds me of my Grandma.

If they're in good shape, any of the models look really cool and can give good shaves. They clean up easy, for the most part, And the feather blades are top-notch.

My wife just came home with two of these on is a beatiful gold cased one that looks as if it has never been used. Where do you guys get the Feather blades with the notches for these razors?

Guys, will you stop doing he Polka and answer a quick question for me regarding the Valet Auto Strops? Besides, i have to get back to my Philco radio because the next episode of Johnny Dollar is about to start :badger:

I have been looking to add one to my collection. First, I want one that I can use and enjoy shaving with, second consideration would be for a nice specimen to look at . Also, my desire would be to use the Feather blades. Can you recommend a model number or version I should be looking for. A Picture of the actual razor would be awfully nice.:001_smile

Love Johnny Dollar!:001_tt1:Tom turned me on to stropper.com, where if you type Valet in and search you get the different models and photos. I would first stick to the ones that do not have a blade holder with the word Valet on it, because some of these models do not take the Feather blades. I have one razor that will not, although many will take the Feather blades.

I have been using a VB1 like this one: http://www.stropper.com/home/stropp...select2=&select3=&select4=&select5=&select6=0 and find it is really a great razor. I also have VC1 like this that really works great: http://www.stropper.com/home/stropp...select2=&select3=&select4=&select5=&select6=0

Hope this helps.

55. And a half. A young 55 and a half. Now, leave me alone cause I'm trying to watch the Lawrence Welk Show.

Please not Lawrence Welk.:yikes:
I wonder if his estate gets anything from all those reruns.

Tom is right, that is way too high but you can haggle for a lower price.
But if you had to look up Lawrence Welk, you may need to look up haggling as well.

Auto-strops work great with Feather SE blades.

John
:cool1:

Here is mine, it takes the feather blades its a 1912 patent model. The part that flips has a small bump that you can see in the picture where the notch from the blade lines up. I picked up the picture of the instructions from somewhere on these forums a while ago. I figured you guys might want to see it too.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here is mine, it takes the feather blades its a 1912 patent model. The part that flips has a small bump that you can see in the picture where the notch from the blade lines up. I picked up the picture of the instructions from somewhere on these forums a while ago. I figured you guys might want to see it too.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Looks like ypu have the same VC1 I do. Good razor.

I'm glad you're enjoying stropper.com, it's a fun place to dig around in.

Love Johnny Dollar!:001_tt1:Tom turned me on to stropper.com, where if you type Valet in and search you get the different models and photos. I would first stick to the ones that do not have a blade holder with the word Valet on it, because some of these models do not take the Feather blades. I have one razor that will not, although many will take the Feather blades.

I have been using a VB1 like this one: http://www.stropper.com/home/stropp...select2=&select3=&select4=&select5=&select6=0 and find it is really a great razor. I also have VC1 like this that really works great: http://www.stropper.com/home/stropp...select2=&select3=&select4=&select5=&select6=0

Hope this helps.

I don't have a picture handy, but there are two flavors in particular that have different shaving characteristics -- one is the open comb and the other is the solid guard-bar.

Hmmm. Wait, I have an autostrop here at my desk. It's the "milllion dollar" open comb (snap!). Hmmm. Crappy Picture! Oh well, you get the idea. I bought a VAS Wallset (a plastic thing that sticks to your bathroom wall) that is of the solid guard-bar variety, but I don't keep it at the office.

Hope it helps,
-- Chet

Attachments

• $vas_smaller.jpg
    $vas_smaller.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 47
I don't have a picture handy, but there are two flavors in particular that have different shaving characteristics -- one is the open comb and the other is the solid guard-bar.

Hmmm. Wait, I have an autostrop here at my desk. It's the "milllion dollar" open comb (snap!). Hmmm. Crappy Picture! Oh well, you get the idea. I bought a VAS Wallset (a plastic thing that sticks to your bathroom wall) that is of the solid guard-bar variety, but I don't keep it at the office.

Hope it helps,
-- Chet

Thanks Chet. As for shave quality, any differences between the OC and the solid guard bar one? One more aggressive than the other etc.?

Autostrops are great razors that I think get overlooked due to the lack of blades (unless you know where to look or have a source in Japan). I picked mine up a while ago for just a few bucks. Personally I would pass up those that are $30+ in the stores (although I would buy the $45 gold NOS one that is in an antique mall near my house;)), as I find them generally around $5 a piece. The Feather blades are great! Enjoy the shaves!

Thanks Chet. As for shave quality, any differences between the OC and the solid guard bar one? One more aggressive than the other etc.?

Well, I'd say that they're pretty close to each other in terms of aggressiveness. Oddly enough, the only time I've been nicked by a VAS was with the solid guard-bar, but you really can't blame the razor. A lot of the shave quality is up to you, and the technique takes a little practice.
-- Chet

Top Bottom