What's new

Auto strop razor

I was in an antique store today and found an old Auto Strop Razor for $39 dollars. I did not buy it but I am curious.

I know zero about the razor, but it looked fascinating. Is there an old timer on the forumn who can brief me on this razor? How well does it shave? Do I need extra equipment to use it? What about blades? Is it desirable? When was it made? And any other info that would educate me.

Thanks, in advance

Old timer? Why, I oughta... Like John said that's really too high for one. I'm a big fan and use them regularly. The first model was released in 1906 and they were made well into the 1940's and they were even issued to soldiers in WW1. Some have the word VALET cutout in the door that holds the blade and will only use the Feather blades that have cutouts, others can use standard single edge blades with the spine removed.

They were originally sold with a strop so the owner could strop the blades while they were still in the razor, the gears on the side allowed the blade to be flipped so that each side could be stropped. A few guys have used the original blades with the strop with varying rates of success.

I was in an antique store today and found an old Auto Strop Razor for $39 dollars. I did not buy it but I am curious.

I know zero about the razor, but it looked fascinating. Is there an old timer on the forumn who can brief me on this razor? How well does it shave? Do I need extra equipment to use it? What about blades? Is it desirable? When was it made? And any other info that would educate me.

Thanks, in advance

I just picked up an autostrop with marking indicating a 1912 patent, it takes the feather blades (which I discovered lurking around before finally creating an account). I really want a strop for it, but I imagine that an old one would be deteriorated due to age. The fellow who makes replacements out of the UK is all out :/

All that aside, I've shaved four times with it so far and being my first safety razor I love it. I'm glad I was able to get it so reasonably!

Old timer? Why, I oughta... Like John said that's really too high for one. I'm a big fan and use them regularly. The first model was released in 1906 and they were made well into the 1940's and they were even issued to soldiers in WW1. Some have the word VALET cutout in the door that holds the blade and will only use the Feather blades that have cutouts, others can use standard single edge blades with the spine removed.

They were originally sold with a strop so the owner could strop the blades while they were still in the razor, the gears on the side allowed the blade to be flipped so that each side could be stropped. A few guys have used the original blades with the strop with varying rates of success.

thanks for helping him out old timer :lol: :lol:

I just picked up a brass Auto Strop complete with metal box and some blades. The blades do have the Valet cutout in them. The place I got it from has another one in the box as well, with the original strop. I didn't get it because the razor was in really bad shape, but the box was really nice and the strop was in good shape. I might go back next week and see if I can pick it up too.

lol i had to google what the lawence welk show was lol

Since I am a bit older than even Old Tom, I will see if Suspense is on the radio today. :w00t:

Hey, as to VAS razors they do not go for much, especially the later models. I picked up three today for under $5 here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/120791015854?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

They shave quite nicely, much like other SE razors and are very nicely made, solid and weighty.

If you guys want to try one, just PM me and I will be glad to lend one out when these come with a couple of blades for you to try. As to the strops, I make new ones myself and would be willing for a few bucks to make one up.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Wasn't there a time between Lawrence Welk & Ed Sullivan when all the geezers would get up & polka?

proxy.php

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
There's a Grateful Dead Song then .. Casey Jones did Indiana I recall

But if anyone lived, and wants an Auto Strop,

Honestly I don't know what Google is, but a kid above me said it so I thought I'd say it too.

i got light headed from laughing after reading his post. :lol: :lol: ............................ anyway, i have a few auto strops but have yet to try them out. i barely used a gem mm for the first time last week which was an awesome shave. eventually ill get arond to using the auto strop

Top Bottom