What's new

Auto Strop Gem Blades

My wife and I were out antiquing and there was a Christy (which I will be back for) and an Auto Strop Gem in it's metal case in almost brand new condition. It also came with a blade bank with some blades that definitely didn't go to the Auto Strop, and a vintage Treet SE blade that did fit the Gem. I'll post a pic once I get home if needed, but would it be difficult to get blades for this and what blades would I look for?

It's very dependant on the generation of autostrop. The early models can hold a despined gem blade while the later models cannot.

Or at least that is my understanding of it. A picture to identify would help a lot.

20211116_135935_HDR.jpg
20211116_135943_HDR.jpg

As a note. The Treet blade does have the spine if that's the metal part on the rear of the blade that's folded over the back and it fits in the razor.
20211116_140007_HDR.jpg
20211116_140047_HDR.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
That is a 1912 model and is a great mid range razor, use only 3 facet blades only and they are still MFG in USA. I buy my Gem blades from Connaught shaving UK because I live up northern Canada and shipping is very good.
DO NOT USE paint scraper blades that look similar but are not ground for shaving needs.
I will leave some information because a lot of information brochure's are lost and proper technique is needed to really enjoy it.
( Click on picture to enlarge)
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg
Gem procedure (2).jpg
blade_angle-se-de.gif
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
That's a mismatched case/razor. The razor is a gem 1912 variant. It can use any of the modern spined gem blades. The general consensus is that the ptfe coated blades are best.

Nice shaving razors.
Oh wow. That's good to know.

Do you have any brands to recommend for blades or are there any packs with multiple brands I can buy?

Oh wow. That's good to know.

Do you have any brands to recommend for blades or are there any packs with multiple brands I can buy?
Interestingly there isn't a ton of options when it comes to single edge blades. I find the Personna gem ptfe coated stainless blades head shoulders above the rest. There are also uncoated stainless blades and carbon steel blades.

If you are really interested in trying it they are usually available at local pharmacy stores in the shaving section. They won't be labeled Personna as they are all rebranded as store brands. They would give you an idea of shaving performance but I would hold out for the ptfe blades to make any final judgements.

Interestingly there isn't a ton of options when it comes to single edge blades. I find the Personna gem ptfe coated stainless blades head shoulders above the rest. There are also uncoated stainless blades and carbon steel blades.

If you are really interested in trying it they are usually available at local pharmacy stores in the shaving section. They won't be labeled Personna as they are all rebranded as store brands. They would give you an idea of shaving performance but I would hold out for the ptfe blades to make any final judgements.
Okay. I think Razor Emporium sells those.

Okay. I think Razor Emporium sells those.
As someone who bought the allegedly "coated stainless" blades from Razor Emporium, they either had a bad batch or were not the correct blades. They are currently in my toolbox in the basement as they simply did not cut the hair on my face. I have a post detailing my struggles but since getting proper ptfe blades, I've been shaving with one of my GEMs 6 days a week for several weeks now.

Do yourself a favor and buy from connaught as @Ron R posted above. I did, and received them in less than a week from across the pond

Edit to add: I was very generously pif'd several of the ptfe blades to try out by another forum member and I'd be more than happy to pay it forward as well. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you'd like me to do the same so you can try them out before ordering 100 pack.

As someone who bought the allegedly "coated stainless" blades from Razor Emporium, they either had a bad batch or were not the correct blades. They are currently in my toolbox in the basement as they simply did not cut the hair on my face. I have a post detailing my struggles but since getting proper ptfe blades, I've been shaving with one of my GEMs 6 days a week for several weeks now.

Do yourself a favor and buy from connaught as @Ron R posted above. I did, and received them in less than a week from across the pond

Edit to add: I was very generously pif'd several of the ptfe blades to try out by another forum member and I'd be more than happy to pay it forward as well. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you'd like me to do the same so you can try them out before ordering 100 pack.
I have a feeling that that very forum member may have just PMed me. This all gonna be a huge help for a project I'm working on. You guys are the best.

Top Bottom